Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:35 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,269,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
So your saying that you don't like barking dogs so you move away from one to another ?
Bad choice.
You say you are an attorney but you need advise on filing a lawsuit.
I'm getting a bit of a laugh out of this.

I'll help you out here, make an all day recording of the dog barking, go to the courthouse and file the frivolous lawsuit.
Show up in court and get laughed at by the judge as well as the gallery.
Perhaps the case is viable and you win the suit. You will then have neighbors who may hate you.
Being a lawyer you must realize that you don't have a case unless you can not only prove that the barking happens (hence the recording or witnesses) then you have to prove that the barking has harmed you in some way or has cost you money.

Better yet move again, this time to a dog free neighborhood ~♥~
Judging from the username and single post, the OP's probably a troll. If not, the way that some folks in Hawaiʻi solve a "barking dog" problem is illustrated in the clip below starting around the "3 minute" mark (i.e. "Adora, the black lab")...

Augie T Filipino Dog Whisperer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 03:41 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,242,220 times
Honestly, I don't really think the "psyche of the dog owners" is really relevant to any lawsuit associated with barking dogs. It's going to be mostly about the extent to which the barking interferes with your right to enjoy your property, regardless of the dog owners' intentions.

At any rate... I agree with the other posters who suggested alternative ways to resolve your issues. Have you even made your neighbors aware of your grievances? Lawsuits really should be a last resort in situations like this, and serving someone with a summons and a complaint when they may have no idea that there is even an issue is not what I would consider the most neighborly thing to do.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:45 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,527,528 times
terrible good luck.
as to here, if u see someone with a pit bull u know 2 things. he is unemployed, he has no property.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:20 PM

1,885 posts, read 2,904,708 times
Sounds like the OP might be dealing with a schnauzer. The ones I've seen/heard bark a lot. I had one living next door to me. As long as she was inside, I couldn't hear her bark.

Maybe the OP should make friends with the neighbors and the dog. Find out why the dog barks so much. Maybe the dog is lonely. Maybe the dog is hungry. Maybe the dog is bored. Maybe the dog needs toys to play with or a bone to chew on. Maybe the dog would like to go for a walk. Maybe Cesar can help. Cesar Millan | Dog Training DVDs, Books, Dog Supplies. Articles & Video Tutorials

Old 01-19-2013, 06:05 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,057,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
And that, gggjfg, is exactly why you live in NY and not Hawaii. We do things differently here.

If you don't like what you are hearing from people on this forum, then why are you reading it? And why are you posting such negativity about a place you seem to dislike so much? Why not keep your attitude in NY?
Dreaming: Best post on this thread!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Am I the only one who finds the original post hard to believe, I have a hard time believing a real attorney would make a post like that.
While you do have a point, I've met lots of attorneys who weren't real bright. They could pass the bar exam but they couldn't handle life.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:36 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,263,172 times
If there's a noise ordinance where you live, you shouldn't have to file a lawsuit, simply call the cops. And if there isn't such an ordinance, maybe there should be. I'm sure you know how to go about that.

Either way, calling the police or filing suit would be the last steps I'd take. Talk to an animal trainer to get ideas. Then talk to the neighbor, nicely. Offer to help, either by paying for training or a bark (shock) collar.

My son used to live on a busy street and had two dogs. They weren't bad barkers, but now and then one would bark, either when someone walked by or when another dog in the neighborhood started barking. If someone called the police to complain the cops showed up, and if the dog barked when the cop showed up, son got a ticket for $50. I think the fine escalated after so many, but he didn't get to that point. Instead he got a shock collar for the offending dog, and that stopped it immediately. The dog only had to wear the shock collar for a short time before it learned not to bark.

And this has nothing to do with your problem or how to solve it, but since you brought it up... hang your Harvard Law degree on your office wall and never again bring up the fact that you went to Harvard unless asked. That's not a smart way to make friends and influence people.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 PM

23 posts, read 38,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkingDogs View Post
I'm an Asian-American attorney about to file a lawsuit against a dog owner for the dog's incessant barking. I live in Kapolei with my wife. We moved from our other house because another neighbor had a barking dog. This time I said enough is enough.

Before you flame me, understand that I love animals.

I just hate barking dogs. (My neighbor's dog is barking again: WOOF! WOOF! BARK! WOOF! BARK!)

The reason I'm posting this is I want anyone out there to rationally explain to me why anyone (who is not a nitwit or a dolt) likes to hear the sound of their dog barking non-stop.

I'm trying to get behind the 'psyche' of these dog owners so when I go before the jury, I can better explain my side.

What makes these dog owners tick? What motivates people in general to love motorcycle noise, rap music, dogs barking, children screaming? It seems the common denominator that I've noticed is they all have a low IQ.

Or is it just me? I went to Harvard so I'm not a complete idiot. I just don't understand some aspects of society. It goes over my head.

Any help, including flames, will help my case. Thank you.
I agree with you 110% The owners of the dog are completely at fault. The dog is not. It is completely irresponsible for someone to own and care for a dog and be completely inconsiderate to their neighbors and not take the time to train the dog to be obedient. The owner's are lazy. That's all there is to it. It took my wife and I a long time and money to train our dogs to be quiet and not bark at strangers, other dogs, or bark incessantly when we left them alone. It was a very long and arduous process that eventually resulted in them being quite obedient and quiet. The owners are either lazy, inconsiderate, or more than likely BOTH.

I do agree with trying to work it out in person first before doing filing a formal complaint against them. I think that is a bit much IMHO.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,103,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Am I the only one who finds the original post hard to believe, I have a hard time believing a real attorney would make a post like that.
+1 I have a hard time believing a Harvard educated Attorney would have the free time to be on this forum making a non-moving related post.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM

179 posts, read 193,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
+1 I have a hard time believing a Harvard educated Attorney would have the free time to be on this forum making a non-moving related post.
My thoughts as well. On the chance that the op is for real though, have you ever thought about going to the neighbor's place and politely asking them if they could do something to quiet their dogs first?

Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,980,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Don't the dogs have to bark non-stop for half an hour and have it documented by someone from the dog pound before it is officially an illegally barking dog? There's some sort of odd rules involving barking dogs. Have you asked the neighbor if there's anything you can do to help their dog not bark as much? Does the neighbor realize it is a problem for you? Sometimes folks don't know they are doing annoying things and then if you file a lawsuit or call the cops instead of talking to them first you never get along with them ever again. And, if they are well liked and established in the neighborhood, the rest of the neighborhood would shun you, too.
While I don't know the specifics, it is something like you have written above. I find it odd that the attorney is not familiar with all the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu