Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:48 PM

51 posts, read 82,897 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I was swindled into a "housing" situation that was so illegal, I'm embarrassed to even admit I was scammed. When I tried to leave, the POS tried to sue me for breaking the lease (keep in mind, he was advertising apartments - still is, actually - and essentially renting out illegal cubicles in his office space and charging upwards of a thousand per box...I shyt you not!) and I counter-sued him for being a jackass and won! A little background info: he's a disbarred judge and I'd never been to court before, so this was quite a feat: he dragged the case on for 4 months!

Aaaanyway, I won the judgment - less than $5K - but I haven't seen a penny. This jackbutt had the nerve to say I tried to ruin his business and livelihood, and won't pay.

What do I do now? The amount is so small, it's not worth hiring an attorney - I represented myself (thank you, Law & Order!!!) in the original case, I just don't know how I can force this ratbastard to pay up! I called a collection agency two days ago, and in typical island fashion was told I was "better off getting a Samoan to go talk to him."

I'm going to file a motion to garnish wages today, but the paperwork says something about appearing back in court in 2-3 weeks just to gather information...I'll be off the island by then. I've been back and forth to that damned courthouse so many times, the women that are supposed to help are some of the most wretched, uninformed....let me stop. To say the least, they aren't helpful.

Any advice, suggestions, or referrals from the old heads on here? I've been a longtime lurker on the boards, never really said anything useful, however but I know there are some knowledgeable users on here.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by longislandicedteaforme; 05-09-2013 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: vulgarity :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 08:25 PM

6,390 posts, read 4,859,868 times
You probably already know you aren't likely to get your money back, let alone the $5K judgement. Sometimes it's best to just walk away. OTH, perhaps his car could use some "detailing"?

Old 05-09-2013, 08:57 PM

194 posts, read 301,217 times
First off, congratulations. Representing yourself is no mean feat,especially when you go head to head with former judges.

Seeing as how this is a small claim it will be difficult to get an attorney involved without gratuitous fees. I would suggest hiring a private investigator to dig up dirt on him. As dishonesty is a way of life, something is bound to turn up. When it dose you either use it as leverage to receive your judgement, plus interest and expenses of course. If he doesn't, then I'm sure you can find someone who finds it interesting (law enforcement, tax agencies, ex wives,tabloid newspapers etc). This may sound harsh OP, but I see no other way.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:28 PM

Thanks, blacktothefuture, I was thinking of going that route since I found out what a toad he was...as soon as you say his name to anyone on the island they instantly go "ohhhh....him! Yeah, he's a piece of trash." Which gets me pretty ticked off that everyone who's been here a while or ever dealt with him knows he's horrible, but nobody's ever done anything to warn other or make sure he doesn't scam people again. Really mind-boggling how people deal with things out here...

Anyway, I went to the courthouse *again* today just to be told that no matter what, I'd have to come back to court again - either in person since I went pro se, through an attorney (um, no), or by way of power of attorney via a friend. It just so happens I got to know the guy that got this jackbutt disbarred (former client he was ripping off, really despicable), so we'll see how this goes. He's got time on his hands and the judgment is good for 10 years :-x so I'm not giving up until this guy either a) pays me b) winds up in jail and/or with the IRS ruining his life or c) known across the island and internet as the ratbastard that he is.

Stay tuned! And futurmauian, I don't know that I'll never get my money back- I won, the law says he has to pay, and by golly I'm going to make sure he does! I was doubtful I would be able to get any justice with the way people like to scratch each other's backs around here, but he's just such a piece of dung, he had no case! Can you imagine, a former judge trying to sue some average citizen, having his own case tossed out and on top of that losing the counter suit?? I didn't go through 4 months of bullcaca just to win and then say "oh well. That was a fun experience, thanks everyone! See ya next time!" Hah!

Last edited by longislandicedteaforme; 05-09-2013 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 05-09-2013, 10:48 PM

194 posts, read 301,217 times
Could you tell us his name ? Also would keep us posted on how this turns out, it seems quite interesting !

Old 05-09-2013, 11:01 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,501,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktothefuture View Post
Could you tell us his name ?
That's not permitted here per the TOS.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,501,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandicedteaforme View Post
Any advice, suggestions, or referrals from the old heads on here?
I suggest you at least TALK to an attorney about your options. It won't cost you that much to schedule a half hour consultation. And the Bar Association has a lawyer referral service:

Hawaiis Only Bar Sponsored Lawyer Referral Service

Old 05-09-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I suggest you at least TALK to an attorney about your options. It won't cost you that much to schedule a half hour consultation. And the Bar Association has a lawyer referral service:

Hawaiis Only Bar Sponsored Lawyer Referral Service
Oh believe me, I have. I've spoken to several and one of my friends/acquaintances still lives in the building and since everybody's afraid of pissing off their neighbor on this island, he won't officially represent me in court. He did provide enough advice that I was able to represent myself, but in terms of now getting said money...*cue nosediving off a cliff audio*

The lawyer referral service is a joke by the way: they all know each other and are in cahoots with one another. What's that saying? "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down?" The women at the courthouse said I'd have better luck getting a collection agency in California to go after him, since they wouldn't be local (i.e. have some bias/connection to him).

Ah, well! Keep fighting the good fight, eh? I will definitely update this thread as things progress...there are a lot of sharks out here. Knowledge is power and I'd like to help someone who may ever find themselves in a similar situation. Some of these asshats have been making a fat, tax-free living off of these shady housing situations. It's really a damn shame.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:11 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,974,188 times
Should have tried Judge Judy. They at least guarantee the judgements.

Often a way is to get the judgement at the credit bureaus as an incentive to pay. They hit the credit score hard.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Should have tried Judge Judy. They at least guarantee the judgements.
lol Judge Judy? Don't you have to be wherever she's filming to have your case heard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu