Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,695 times

Advertisements

I'm an Asian-American attorney about to file a lawsuit against a dog owner for the dog's incessant barking. I live in Kapolei with my wife. We moved from our other house because another neighbor had a barking dog. This time I said enough is enough.

Before you flame me, understand that I love animals.

I just hate barking dogs. (My neighbor's dog is barking again: WOOF! WOOF! BARK! WOOF! BARK!)

The reason I'm posting this is I want anyone out there to rationally explain to me why anyone (who is not a nitwit or a dolt) likes to hear the sound of their dog barking non-stop.

I'm trying to get behind the 'psyche' of these dog owners so when I go before the jury, I can better explain my side.

What makes these dog owners tick? What motivates people in general to love motorcycle noise, rap music, dogs barking, children screaming? It seems the common denominator that I've noticed is they all have a low IQ.

Or is it just me? I went to Harvard so I'm not a complete idiot. I just don't understand some aspects of society. It goes over my head.

Any help, including flames, will help my case. Thank you.

Last edited by BarkingDogs; 01-18-2013 at 10:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,745,281 times
Default It's about family

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkingDogs View Post
I'm an Asian-American attorney about to file a lawsuit against a dog owner for the dog's incessant barking. I live in Kapolei with my wife. We moved from our other house because another neighbor had a barking dog. This time I said enough is enough.

Before you flame me, understand that I love animals.

I just hate barking dogs. (My neighbor's dog is barking again: WOOF! WOOF! BARK! WOOF! BARK!)

The reason I'm posting this is I want anyone out there to rationally explain to me why anyone (who is not a nitwit or a dolt) likes to hear the sound of their dog barking non-stop.

I'm trying to get behind the 'psyche' of these dog owners so when I go before the jury, I can better explain my side.

What makes these dog owners tick? What motivates people in general to love motorcycle noise, rap music, dogs barking, children screaming? It seems the common denominator that I've noticed is they all have a low IQ.

Or is it just me? I went to Harvard so I'm not a complete idiot. I just don't understand some aspects of society. It goes over my head.

Any help, including flames, will help my case. Thank you.
I'm no longer a dog owner, but loved them when I had them. The thing to remember going into court, is that to the people that own the dog, he (or she) is FAMILY. You are "attacking" their FAMILY. That's how close people can get to dogs. I once had a dog owner tell me that there could be circumstances that would convince her to save a dog's life over a human's life. What do you say to someone after that?

Woof, woof!

Old 01-19-2013, 12:33 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
Don't the dogs have to bark non-stop for half an hour and have it documented by someone from the dog pound before it is officially an illegally barking dog? There's some sort of odd rules involving barking dogs. Have you asked the neighbor if there's anything you can do to help their dog not bark as much? Does the neighbor realize it is a problem for you? Sometimes folks don't know they are doing annoying things and then if you file a lawsuit or call the cops instead of talking to them first you never get along with them ever again. And, if they are well liked and established in the neighborhood, the rest of the neighborhood would shun you, too.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:52 AM

7,331 posts, read 6,958,723 times
When does the dog not bark ?
If you have been trying to reason witht e neighbor, record the barking ,on say, a survailance camera .
This becomes hard evidence over say so .
Talk to the other neighbors and write a pitition of them making a duplicate you can present in court .
But first provide a copy to the dog's owners in a preliminary appeal before court becomes necessary.
You may also consult with local city ordenance for further information , providing a copy of your findings to the owner as well so he know just how serious you are and the law conserning the matter.
They may be un aware of these issues , but if you are met with an attitude all the more reason to prusue legal means .

Old 01-19-2013, 12:54 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,060,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Don't the dogs have to bark non-stop for half an hour and have it documented by someone from the dog pound before it is officially an illegally barking dog? There's some sort of odd rules involving barking dogs. Have you asked the neighbor if there's anything you can do to help their dog not bark as much? Does the neighbor realize it is a problem for you? Sometimes folks don't know they are doing annoying things and then if you file a lawsuit or call the cops instead of talking to them first you never get along with them ever again. And, if they are well liked and established in the neighborhood, the rest of the neighborhood would shun you, too.
Excellent post, great advice, I highly recommend you heed it.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,521,103 times
Keep in mind that you live on an island, where the interconnectedness of extended family, called ohana, is so much a part of the culture that it's written into our real estate law. You get into a stink with a neighbor, you may be living with it forever. Drop a lawsuit on a neighbor over a barking dog and you will be convicted in the court of popular opinion so fast you won't know where to hide. Seriously... you'll be at the supermarket and the checker will be saying "Aren't you the guy that's hassling my Cuz over his dog?" For the next 20 years.

In other words, start with the softest approach you can. Talk to the neighbor. Cool your jets when you do. Be patient.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:37 PM

206 posts, read 572,193 times
Just what I would expect from the members of this forum.

Got to get along with your neighbors or BAD things will happen to you.

Why don't you cook them a 10 course dinner.

Or take them out on a night on the town.

Also what I would expect from ALL dog owners.

Their pooches are Gods!

Never poo where they're not supposed to.

Oh, just that LITTLE pile on your lawn?

Always as friendly as a year old baby.

Never bark more than 1 woof per day.

I would care less if these kinds of people never spoke to me again.

You're an attorney, nail them to the wall.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:32 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,712,700 times
And that, gggjfg, is exactly why you live in NY and not Hawaii. We do things differently here.

If you don't like what you are hearing from people on this forum, then why are you reading it? And why are you posting such negativity about a place you seem to dislike so much? Why not keep your attitude in NY?

Old 01-19-2013, 02:56 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,953,519 times
So your saying that you don't like barking dogs so you move away from one to another ?
Bad choice.
You say you are an attorney but you need advise on filing a lawsuit.
I'm getting a bit of a laugh out of this.

I'll help you out here, make an all day recording of the dog barking, go to the courthouse and file the frivolous lawsuit.
Show up in court and get laughed at by the judge as well as the gallery.
Perhaps the case is viable and you win the suit. You will then have neighbors who may hate you.
Being a lawyer you must realize that you don't have a case unless you can not only prove that the barking happens (hence the recording or witnesses) then you have to prove that the barking has harmed you in some way or has cost you money.

Better yet move again, this time to a dog free neighborhood ~♥~

Old 01-19-2013, 03:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,995,696 times
Am I the only one who finds the original post hard to believe, I have a hard time believing a real attorney would make a post like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu