Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 04:19 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Neighbor island. It's a lot more friendly sounding.
Bingo. The reasoning is deeper than "friendly", it goes to an aversion of things being "Oahu centric". Neighbor island folks do not see themselves as bystanders to Oahu, thus, we are not "outer", but rather equal "neighbors".

Hawaii has many subtilties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
At first I read that as "sub-titles" which would also sort of make sense.

Yup, we call Hilo "town", try not to call Honolulu at all and Kailua Kona is pretty much "Kona" in casual conversation.

I'm not sure if using the term "neighbor" islands is enough to overcome the entire Oahu-centric setup, but at least it sounds nicer, I guess.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
When you are on Oahu, the "other" islands are referred to as outer islands. I work with a lot of State of Hawaii people - and that is the common phrase. Everyone says outer islands. It isn't meant as a bad thing, but that is the way they refer to the "other" islands. When on Maui or not Oahu, it doesn't make sense to say outer island - it even sounds weird - neighbor island sounds better but I don't think anyone is saying it from a friendlier perspective.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,723 times
Hmmm, was not aware! So who was pushing the political correct meme? I've heard both references, neighbor island and outer island and didn't realize one would be considered somewhat offensive. Of course I'm not local nor did I live on one of the other islands.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:55 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
When you are on Oahu, the "other" islands are referred to as outer islands. I work with a lot of State of Hawaii people - and that is the common phrase. Everyone says outer islands. It isn't meant as a bad thing, but that is the way they refer to the "other" islands. When on Maui or not Oahu, it doesn't make sense to say outer island - it even sounds weird - neighbor island sounds better but I don't think anyone is saying it from a friendlier perspective.
Hawaiʻi is one of the few archipelagos in the Pacific where some of the "outer islands" are larger than its political and economic center. For lack of a better term, "neighbor island" seems more preferable than "outer island" to the following:

Print media, such as Honolulu Magazine...
Are They Neighbor Islands or Outer Islands? - Honolulu Magazine

Government entities, such as the State of Hawaiʻi Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism...
Oahu & Neighbor Island Highlights - Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism

And, private companies, such as Hawaiian Airlines...
Neighbor Island Travel Plan - Hawaiian Airlines

If the "State of Oʻahu" existed instead of the "State of Hawaiʻi", the use of the term "outer islands" to refer to the other "main islands" would make more sense. When I think of the "outer islands" of Hawaiʻi, the islands and atolls of the "Northwestern Hawaiian Islands" (Nihoa, Necker Island, Kure Atoll, etc.) come to mind.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:17 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,022 times
When filling out random forms on the internet, you sometimes get the choice of "US - minor outlying islands" and I always pick that. I think it actually refers to places like Midway or Palmyra, that may or may not be populated, but it's what the "outer" islands feel like sometime.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:08 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times
Quote:
I work with a lot of State of Hawaii people - and that is the common phrase. Everyone says outer islands.
I've the had exact opposite experience. I have worked with many state agencies, and actually that is where I became sensitize to the use of "neighbor" instead of "outer". Many of the state agencies that have a presence (ie staffing) in neighbor island offices are quite aware that there is offense taken to the concept that since Oahu is the "center" of the population base it should lead to "Oahu centric" decision making. Neighbor Island folks (and state office staff) want their voice heard, too, including in decision making and planning, especially when it involves matters that affect their lives/work/environment.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:05 PM

Well, the people I'm working with only have mainland or Oahu people in the room so nobody is getting offended. Maybe they switch it up when the "neighbors" drop by.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Well, the people I'm working with only have mainland or Oahu people in the room so nobody is getting offended. Maybe they switch it up when the "neighbors" drop by.
Until 1893, the "mainland" of Hawaiʻi was the Big Island, which happens to be larger than all of the other islands in Hawaiʻi combined and lends its name to the archipelago and state (among other things). Some people in Hawaiʻi take offense when folks refer to the "continental United States" as the "mainland."

Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 PM

Those folks from 1893 sure hold a grudge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu