Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:30 PM

78 posts, read 119,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
A couple of weeks back, a young lady named Syletha appeared here, with 8K and her own version of the "I Have A Dream" speech. Perhaps she is in need of a roomate?
I have a dream, eh. Well, I'm not totally naive. Hmmm, perhaps. If she's on and sees this or still plans on moving private message me and we can talk, but, I'm a little iffy about having to rely on someone that also isn't all ready there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Or you could live with the GI Bill poster today who is going to walk on the UH football team as a linebacker......

Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 PM

6,386 posts, read 4,847,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Or you could live with the GI Bill poster today who is going to walk on the UH football team as a linebacker......
Maybe a three-bedroom rental...

Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,815,575 times
OP, are you adding to the plans that you'll be paying out of state tuition for the duration of your education? OR, that you'll need to establish residency in order to get in-state tuition rates? I posted this in another thread, but the same things might apply to you:

Quote:
UH Manoa, residency:
Quote:
Can I attend school and establish residency for tuition purposes at the same time?
Yes, but there is a credit restriction during the one calendar year (365 days) during which you are establishing residency. You are limited to taking only five semester credits each semester at any school in Hawaiʻi. You may take online/distance learning courses that are offered in a different state, but you must pay that institution's nonresident tuition rate.
You won't be able to attend UH Manoa for the year you are establishing residency (other than 5 credits/ semester), so I'm assuming your G.I. Bill $$ won't be kicking in for at least a year. Hawaii has strict residency requirements, and won't let someone attend UH Manoa for a year as "out of state", then jump to claiming to be a resident for the remaining years. Taxpayers in Hawaii would not be happy to support all of the out-of-state students who dream of moving to Hawaii.

1) How will you support yourself if the G.I. Bill $$ is held off a year?

2) Are you willing to loose a year of time while you establish residency here?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
OP, are you adding to the plans that you'll be paying out of state tuition for the duration of your education? OR, that you'll need to establish residency in order to get in-state tuition rates? I posted this in another thread, but the same things might apply to you:
Thanks, but I've all ready addressed these issues. I'm mighty familiar with the GI Bill and its particulars (been using it for almost a year now). Yes, colleges not participating in the yellow ribbon program will out expense what you receive from your BAH + Max tuition, however, the great thing is, the school I plan on going to and that has my degree field is an unlimited participant in the GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program. In other words, everything is 100% covered between the School footing part of the bill and the VA footing the rest. Worst case scenario is I do not get everything in on time for my degree field app, so I have to take some economics courses until that rolls around again. Not ideal, since it is out of order, but acceptable.

As far as residency, I'll have 3 months before school starts, and then when I finish that's 9 months left for residency. The bigger issue is tax/title/registration costs for the car. I'm hoping it's really no more than a few hundred bucks.

Also, my sarcasm meter is going off the charts you guys.

Fun Fact: I had a Kahanamoku in my boot camp company. That kid could swim....wonder if I could track him down?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 PM

6,386 posts, read 4,847,266 times

Thick skin, and a sense of humor are assets on the Hawaii forum. They will serve you in Hi. as well.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post

Thick skin, and a sense of humor are assets on the Hawaii forum. They will serve you in Hi. as well.
Good. I have a heaping surplus from being a 'military brat' and being a 'sailor' myself. Oh the lewd jokes we would share....

Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,815,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegandi View Post
.., the school I plan on going to and that has my degree field is an unlimited participant in the GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program. In other words, everything is 100% covered between the School footing part of the bill and the VA footing the rest.
I see that now, KCC has pretty wide open benefits for Yellow Ribbon Program. Lucky you!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
I see that now, KCC has pretty wide open benefits for Yellow Ribbon Program. Lucky you!
Well, that's about the only luck I've had in a while. Probably the most important, so I'll take it.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:09 AM

3 posts, read 5,509 times
Yeah I wish it was June of 13' But it being 14' I have more time to plan which is a good thing. You saying you're an outdoorsy person tells me you'll love it there in that aspect. The traffic isn't always terrible I generalized. Just in the morning, lunch, and evening rush hour. haha
I think being open and accepting is the key to getting along with others on Oahu. Going there with an open mind and realizing you're a guest in their culture. Adaptation is definitely key. That's is where I've seen guys go wrong and get into trouble they move to Hawaii with pre conceptions of their own paradise the hard fact is it is it's own animal that you must accept and adapt too. But, like I said for some people it's easy, I found it easy but I moved around my whole life and am easily adaptable. Plus I am big into the surf scene which Oahu is pretty much the epicenter of the world. Oh and places mainlanders shouldn't go. Hmmmmmm.
You will hear people say don't go to Waianae, But I went there pretty regularly to surf Makaha, I didn't have any issues. Maybe stay away at night.
I had a few issue in Downtown Waikiki at night waiting to catch a cab. Just some locals looking to pick a fight. But, I'm a chill guy so I just said I didn't want any trouble and walked away. I think those type of people are looking for agro Marines to fight, they didn't follow once I expressed no want to fight.
My biggest surprise was that I heard of all the localism at surf spots and I never once in two years had an issue. But, I've seen people get punched in the face over waves. Key there is to show respect to the locals and NEVER EVER drop in on someone.
If you want a car buy it there, there is a ton of good cheap cars for sale. Lots of military move there buy a car and leave it along with every other transplant who comes and goes. I do recommend blending in car wise! later model toyota tacomas are flipping everywhere on that island and they are a good offroad car if you're into that sorta thing. I also recommend a car alarm! with a random killswitch! I had my car stolen twice while I lived there. It was just a toyota flat front island van. But, they would drive it till it was outta gas and ditch it and I would got it back twice. After the alarm and killswitch they did try again but were unsuccessful.
I know that sounds bad but I also lived in dt honolulu and that crap happens just gotta roll with the punches. haha
So, an alarm may save you some heartache, even if it's on a p.o.s. It used to make me laugh arming my alarm on my crappy van.
I wanted to mention. When I lived there I was making about 3800 a month. My bills were food,cell phone, car insurance and rent which was 400 a month.
I was living with my gf and another couple thats why it was that cheap.
Honestly though if you can match that income and with the 2295 from G.I. Bill it's more then possible you will live comfortably even if you pay 600-900 a month. I was spending money pretty frivoulously and still saying 400 a month. I recommend going to summer school also so that BAH doesn't stop. I know they hit ya during Christmas break but just have a savings account for those situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu