Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 2,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
But I refuse to believe that the data are accurate. They must reflect housing prices in the city. Once you get a couple miles outside the city limits, I'm sure prices drop considerably. I'm confident that if I move to Honolulu, and I look hard enough, I'll be able to find a modest but comfortable house that fits my $250K budget. Also, I'm a hard worker with a positive attitude (let's be honest: I'm an all-around good person!), so I'm confident I'll find a job that pays enough that I can afford a Honolulu house. I'll even work two or three such jobs – whatever it takes. Just knowing that paradise is outside my house, car, and office will be enough for me!

Well, if you insist... but the reality is that it isn't going to happen. You might find a house at that price in Waianae - terrible commute and very dicey neighborhood. Better plan on $800k.. and yes I live on Oahu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,994,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Where are you getting this information? I checked the link *and* the original listing here : 369 Hobron Ln 32, Honolulu, HI 96815, US and neither page makes reference to this being a leasehold.

I am not disputing what you say as being true, but apparently the real estate companies in Hawaii expect potential buyers to be mind-readers since they do not offer up this information in their listings. Please tell me where you found out this information.

20yrisnBranson

If you see anything for 48K on Oahu you got to figure something is very,very (very, very) wrong, in this case leasehold that expires soon, and 445 sq ft. As my realtor said when we were buying property in SF, "if they don't list the sq feet, it's for a reason."

Old 02-20-2013, 10:33 AM

152 posts, read 372,666 times
Surprising that someone has not posted an intent to move with an RV, live in it, and drive all over the "islands". Oops.
Little details like "islands", and Gas, place to park-hookup ($$$) , and jam packed roads are no big deal. Tire wear replacement will be minimal. Make a "friend" and park wherever the wind prevails...maxim: 100 sq feet divided by 1000 people, and two value meals to eat= turmoil. Hold the pickles, stop punching me, I want to see the sunrise !

Old 02-20-2013, 11:30 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,057,769 times
Probably because anyone with an RV already did the quick research to find out that you can't do that.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:30 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,817,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKfine View Post
place to park-hookup ($$$) ,
Have them name three ... Ok two ... one?

Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,057,769 times
Good luck with that, lol!

Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,490,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Have them name three ... Ok two ... one?
There used to be a KOA campground with RV hookups in Volcano, about 1/2 mile from my property, on the grounds of the old Volcano School. It was, far as I know, the only actual private camping facility available in the state. But it's been closed for several years now, and is currently being repurposed as a Charter School campus.

On the Big Island that leaves you with about 10 parks that allow RV parking, sans hookups, but the spaces must be reserved in advance, and you're only allowed 10 reservation nights per month.

On private property an RV is allowed to be occupied 31 days max. On public streets, RVs are not allowed to be occupied overnight. What's left? The parking lot at WalMart?

That's just the Big Island, but it's similar elsewhere. The idea of living in an RV in Hawai'i is not a new one, and it has been dealt with by the authorities. Simply stated, you can't do it legally.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:35 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,406,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divad41 View Post
Well, if you insist... but the reality is that it isn't going to happen. You might find a house at that price in Waianae - terrible commute and very dicey neighborhood. Better plan on $800k.. and yes I live on Oahu
I was being facetious, mimicking the dreamers who come on here looking for advice, not liking what they hear, and assuring us that they'll somehow "make it happen," despite all the evidence that it isn't possible. Believe me, I know the reality – my wife and I have tried every way we can think of to make living in Hawaii financially possible, but it ain't gonna happen before we retire, and maybe not even then. We could afford the BI on our current Mainland salaries, but we couldn't find jobs there that pay what we make now. We probably could find jobs in Honolulu (probably at a pay cut), but we couldn't afford housing.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,081,755 times
Oh, good, I kinda thought you were being factitious, Honuman. Is there a "factitious" smiley face icon? If there isn't, there should be! Anyway, I was fairly certain it was just facetiousness, especially when nobody jumped on the post right away.

Hmm, it was an interesting article on Honolulu's housing and that they mentioned Warren Michigan as the most affordable, especially since I'd moved to Oahu from the Warren Michigan area. We actually lived about a mile north of there in Sterling Heights, but it's all one huge housing sprawl and nothing really to tell one area from another. Somewhat similar to Honolulu, actually. Not only moved from the Warren, Michigan area to Honolulu but did it with no job, no savings and no return airfare. Good thing this forum didn't exist then, or I might have been worried. However, that was also over three decades ago so things were way different and Oahu was a lot less crowded. I don't know if the same thing could be done now.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:12 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,406,580 times
Portland, Oregon, where I live, has the least-expensive housing of any of the major West Coast cities, but prices are still expensive compared to most of the Midwest and South. If my wife and I were willing to move to Atlanta, where I came here from, we could get a much nicer house than what we have now for the same money. But that's the thing: while we don't dislike Atlanta, we love where we are much more, and we're willing to live in a more modest house for the pleasure of being here. We're not willing to go more modest, though – which, at our price point, rules out most of Hawaii except for parts of the BI. Oahu isn't even in the realm of possibility. What's sad is that, had Oahu home prices risen and fallen at the same percentage rate as Portland prices over the past decade, then Oahu might be attainable for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu