Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 12:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,202,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Sometimes things aren't always as good as they seem on the surface. For example, a few things that listing does not tell you is the unit is a Leasehold Property, not a Fee Simple property.

This means in addition to the purchase price, and in addition to the $215 monthly HOA Fee, you pay a "lease Fee". In this case, the Lease Fee is $485/month. The Lease has an expiration date. The lease on this unit expires 2021 ... in just 8 years. At the end of the Lease, the leasor can take the unit back if they so choose. They are not under obligation to renegotiate or extend the lease.

Leasehold values drop the closer you get to the end of the lease.

So basically you are paying $48,000 (you'll need cash because a bank won't loan on a leasehold property that close to the end of the lease. And then on top of the $48,000, you'll need to pay $700/month in HOA's and Leae Fee's. Then at the end of 8 years you'll likely lose your condo to the leaseholder.
Where are you getting this information? I checked the link *and* the original listing here : 369 Hobron Ln 32, Honolulu, HI 96815, US and neither page makes reference to this being a leasehold.

I am not disputing what you say as being true, but apparently the real estate companies in Hawaii expect potential buyers to be mind-readers since they do not offer up this information in their listings. Please tell me where you found out this information.

20yrisnBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 12:41 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,060,971 times
Search on the complex name, the whole place is leasehold.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:50 PM

960 posts, read 1,223,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Where are you getting this information? I checked the link *and* the original listing here : 369 Hobron Ln 32, Honolulu, HI 96815, US and neither page makes reference to this being a leasehold.

I am not disputing what you say as being true, but apparently the real estate companies in Hawaii expect potential buyers to be mind-readers since they do not offer up this information in their listings. Please tell me where you found out this information.

20yrisnBranson

Those links and "advertisements" for the property are not the full listing details from the multiple listing service. So there is a lot of information about the property not mentioned in the links/ad's you're seeing.

For me, the site I use most often when searching and looking for real estate in Honolulu is:
Oahu Real Estate Condo Instant Search

Here are more details about the specific unit you are looking at: Laniakea Apts 369 Hobron Lane 32 Honolulu HI 96815

But the price of the unit alone is enough to know it is a leasehold toward the end of it's lease term once you become familiar with pricing in Honolulu.

Right near the particular unit you referenced is another little complex that is very similar. Those units are all smaller than the unit you referenced (they're all about 445 sq ft) ... but they are Fee Simple properties and the least expensive one currently available is $245,000. The price difference is leasehold -vs fee Simple and how close to the end of lease the property is at.

I've walked past those building many times. Nice location. But I personally would not be interested in buying a leasehold property.

Good luck with you searching.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:05 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,995,696 times
I walk by there all the time - when that leasehold is up that property is going to be sold and something else put in its place - that is a prime real estate location and the clock is ticking.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:19 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,060,971 times
From photos, the building looks as though it will most definitely be scheduled for tear-down when the leasehold is up.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,521,103 times
It's not my kinda thing at all, but since this is a type of dealio that is common in Hawai'i, I ran the numbers and was surprised that on a monthly basis it's not out of reason. The trick is to remember that you are not buying "forever," with an expected residual value, but you're buying 8 years, with zero residue.

$48,000 over 8 years = $500/mo. $500 + $485/mo Lease fee + $215/mo HOA fee = $1,200 month. I can see how that could be attractive to some people.

I have no idea what the tax implications would be... do you get to take a deduction for a $48,000 loss at the end of 8 years? If so, that would make it even less expensive than paying rent.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's not my kinda thing at all, but since this is a type of dealio that is common in Hawai'i, I ran the numbers and was surprised that on a monthly basis it's not out of reason. The trick is to remember that you are not buying "forever," with an expected residual value, but you're buying 8 years, with zero residue.

$48,000 over 8 years = $500/mo. $500 + $485/mo Lease fee + $215/mo HOA fee = $1,200 month. I can see how that could be attractive to some people.

I have no idea what the tax implications would be... do you get to take a deduction for a $48,000 loss at the end of 8 years? If so, that would make it even less expensive than paying rent.
You can take a capital loss on the leasehold subject to the $3,000/year deduction on your taxes.

What your model doesn't take into account is that $48,000 should generate $15,000+ in income over the next 8 years. So, at the end of 8 years you potentially have $63,000+ versus $0. Since you can't get a mortgage for it - you also lose the interest deduction.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:20 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,521,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You can take a capital loss on the leasehold subject to the $3,000/year deduction on your taxes.

What your model doesn't take into account is that $48,000 should generate $15,000+ in income over the next 8 years. So, at the end of 8 years you potentially have $63,000+ versus $0. Since you can't get a mortgage for it - you also lose the interest deduction.
Good points all... though it seems to me the $24,000 capital loss over 8 years would offset the $15,000 lost income... but nevertheless, whatever the exact details, it's not an insane offer. When you look at it as a purchase of 8 years residency, it could be workable for some people.

Obviously I would not love to be in the seller's position, though.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 PM

At this point in time of the lease it will probably be an investor rather than an individual who intends to live in the property. A person who has $50,000 in cash sitting around usually wouldn't want to live in a property so rough around the edges. Also, the capital loss deductions wouldn't kick in until the property is disposed.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:41 PM

960 posts, read 1,223,795 times
Personally, I'd prefer to use the 48,000 as a downpayment on a small fee simple place.

At least that way, at the end of 8 years you'd still own your house and maybe even some appreciation. And you could more easily sell it during the 8 yrs if your plans or needs change.

With this specific leasehold, at the end of 8 years you'll have nothing and be looking for a new apartment.

But I'm not a fan of leaseholds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu