Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:01 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,821,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
No, seriously, he lives in New England, and there's been a lot of snow there. .
I was being un-serious, but seriously, I hope our Mod is staying warm and keeping safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 03:38 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,627,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe Kiddington View Post
I need to know before I get there.
Hawaii is one of the best states in the country actually to not have a job. According to this site, the sum total of aid from Medicaid, food stamps, subsidized housing, etc... in Hawaii is roughly equivalent to making a full-time hourly wage of $17.50/hr of taxable income. This is equivalent to about $36k/yr. Throw in miles of beaches, year-round warm weather, and tons of wild fruit to pick and eat and you could do pretty well not working in the islands. And no, I am not being sarcastic in the least, check it out for yourself. The numbers may be a bit dated but it should be a good ballpark.

Welfare Pays Better Than Work, Study Finds: $36,000 a Year in Hawaii | Hawaii Reporter

Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain

Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,821,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
Hawaii is one of the best states in the country actually to not have a job. According to this site, the sum total of aid from Medicaid, food stamps, subsidized housing, etc... in Hawaii is roughly equivalent to making a full-time hourly wage of $17.50/hr of taxable income.
That is if someone qualifies for all of those resources. For example, many unemployed (in this case, I mean those who are collecting unemployment) get an unemployment check, and that is it.

But you are right about for those who have managed to work their way fully in to the system. They often have it "better off" to NOT get off of welfare, food stamps, etc, because it many cases, they'd not come close to making $17/hr wages.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:27 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,521,103 times
Quote:
The numbers may be a bit dated but it should be a good ballpark.
About that...

First, both of those references trace back to a highly controversial, widely disputed 1995 study by the Cato Institute, an ultra-conservative think tank.

Second, this obsolete Cato study was published before the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (PRWORA) and other welfare reform legislation went into effect, which caused large fundamental shifts in the way welfare programs are administered in the US. Notice that both of your links refer to AFDC, a program that ended in 1996.

The idea that an able bodied adult can just tune out on work, head for the beach and start collecting fat welfare checks at will is a myth, and it's an obnoxious and bigoted myth. It denigrates those poor people who need public assistance for reasons that are beyond their control. In my volunteer work I've come into contact with many people who are on the TAFN (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families) program, and I've got to say, none of them were in what I would call enviable circumstances.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 AM

892 posts, read 2,397,332 times
Quote:
First, both of those references trace back to a highly controversial, widely disputed 1995 study by the Cato Institute, an ultra-conservative think tank.

Second, this obsolete Cato study was published before the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (PRWORA) and other welfare reform legislation went into effect, which caused large fundamental shifts in the way welfare programs are administered in the US. Notice that both of your links refer to AFDC, a program that ended in 1996.
It's threads like this one, and comments like yours, that make me wish CD ran more like [another site's name not mentioned as per CD rules] where trolls can be instantly silenced by user voting and quasi-factual BS can be effectively negated with reason (and subsequent whiney face-saving, also, downvoted by users until it's buried from view).

Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,627,696 times
Quote:
About that...

The idea that an able bodied adult can just tune out on work, head for the beach and start collecting fat welfare checks at will is a myth, and it's an obnoxious and bigoted myth. It denigrates those poor people who need public assistance for reasons that are beyond their control. In my volunteer work I've come into contact with many people who are on the TAFN (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families) program, and I've got to say, none of them were in what I would call enviable circumstances.
Yeah, I agree with everything you say and admitted that it was dated. I am just saying if you are trying to scam the system (as the OP seems to want to do) then Hawaii would be a good place to do it because it has a relatively generous social safety net compared to other places and is a great locale. That was the only data I could find on the estimated value of social programs by state. Please don't think that I am denigrating poor people by participating in a hypothetical and using the only available data I could find to do so. Those are two completely separate ideas altogether. Of course having read through the thread now it looks like this person was just stirring up trouble to begin with so my bad for responding.

Last edited by UHgrad; 02-26-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 AM

48,590 posts, read 35,070,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
It's threads like this one, and comments like yours, that make me wish CD ran more like [another site's name not mentioned as per CD rules] where trolls can be instantly silenced by user voting and quasi-factual BS can be effectively negated with reason (and subsequent whiney face-saving, also, downvoted by users until it's buried from view).

Ok, I'm pre-coffee, but..........................

Nothing is stopping you from "effectively negating with reason" . Instead of your half thought out rant, how about some factual input?

Plus, you may want to be thankful that user voting cannot be used here on threads or users.

OpenD is nothing close to a troll, he provided actual information (skewed or not) and valuable input.

(Wait.... were you quoting OpenD, but talking to the OP?.......)

Old 02-26-2013, 12:15 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,060,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ok, I'm pre-coffee, but..........................

Nothing is stopping you from "effectively negating with reason" . Instead of your half thought out rant, how about some factual input?

Plus, you may want to be thankful that user voting cannot be used here on threads or users.

OpenD is nothing close to a troll, he provided actual information (skewed or not) and valuable input.

(Wait.... were you quoting OpenD, but talking to the OP?.......)
Great post...well done with the added humor, too!

Old 02-26-2013, 03:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,521,103 times
Quote:
Of course having read through the thread now it looks like this person was just stirring up trouble to begin with so my bad for responding.
I'm skeptical of brand new posters who post something controversial or provocative for their first post, like this one. I don't know why this forum gets more than its fair share of trolls and pranksters, but somehow it does.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:01 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,060,971 times
Perhaps there aren't really that many different ones, OpenD, if you know what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu