Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 13,786 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Honolulu this summer, and my son will be in 4th grade. He is high-functioning on the autism spectrum, and I am looking for advice about the elementary schools in the area that best serve kids on the spectrum. I welcome all accurate information and opinions. Thank you so much! There is only so much information I can get on-line about this topic, so thank you for sharing your personal knowledge with our family as we try to ensure he receives the best education possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 04:23 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
You might think about calling the elementary schools and talking with them about their programs. Probably better information than what you'll get here, unless someone on the forum has had direct experience.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:08 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,997 times
The school system is ran by two entities:
Board of Education and the Department of Education
I'd recommend using them as additional sources of information on what services are available, what services are mandated by law, and which school(s) might be a potential good fit for your child's needs.

Heads up, getting adequate special services needs can be challenging in Hawaii.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:37 AM

43 posts, read 73,406 times
Funny what is considered 'racism' on here! So if there is discrimination against people of a certain color, it is not ok to make mention of it and warn a parent of a special needs child (unless they are the right color, then the warning might be ok?).. My comment was not racist at all! All I was trying to say is to be careful, because there have been many cases of bullying in Hawaiian schools, and Yes- on many occasions the bullying has been due to racial grounds. Is it forbidden to talk about this? Is it now officially sanctioned, to discriminate against outsiders in Hawaii? If I get in trouble for saying this, then I clearly need to find a forum that does not condone hate crimes against ANYONE, OR deters frank discussion of it, and possibly warning people about these realities, especially when a special needs child is involved (a mainstreamed one) that could well be a target for harassment there (as he could anywhere, but the documented cases coming from some schools in the Islands, and how it is continuously swept under the rug, is staggering). So like I said before, be open to considering home schooling, AFTER you have done all of your homework on this. Good luck.

Last edited by likkamatocuhe; 03-06-2013 at 01:13 AM..

Old 03-06-2013, 12:53 AM

43 posts, read 73,406 times
Also, a very brief google search reveals that many Oahu schools have been struggling in the areas of assisting students with autism in recent years, so do bear that in mind as well. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:18 PM

4 posts, read 13,786 times
Thank you to everyone who posted a reply to this thread and has commented on the topics and other topics that have arisen. All of these comments are greatly appreciated when trying to research and gather accurate information about a place via the internet. I would welcome comments from others who may agree or disagree with what has been stated already, and anyone that has direct knowledge of specific elementary schools in Honolulu that fall on the "great" or "terrible" or "mediocre" categories regarding special needs accommodation and/or student safety. Thanks very much!

Old 03-09-2013, 12:52 AM

It will be interesting if you get a "great" recommendation for a school that excels in working with autistic students. Or even a "mediocre". Did the DOE or BOE have any info or help regarding public school accomodations?

Good luck.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:23 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Fake thread Cyber - no way a legit post would play out like that. You don't bring autistic kids to Hawaii legit unless you are pretty selfish.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:58 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
hmmmm.... you really think so? Either way, I'd think a good home school group would be best. imo

Old 03-09-2013, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
hmmmm.... you really think so? Either way, I'd think a good home school group would be best. imo
It would depend on the home school situation. [None of the home school instructors I've known were set up to progressively address special needs students as part of their class structure and study plans.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: