Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:22 PM

15 posts, read 84,794 times

Advertisements

We will be moving in August to Oahu. I am interested in living somewhere with the best commute into downtown Honolulu and to Fort Shafter. I will be working downtown and spouse will be working at Shafter. Our elementary age child will be in school in the downtown area.

Do you have any recommendations for where to live (you can assume price is not a factor if you wish -- it really is a factor of course, but for purposes of this question, I am mainly interested in the commute time from a good neighborhood).

Do you think the commute is worse from the direction of Hawaii Kai (east) or from the direction of Ewa Beach (west)? Is it possible to find a place to live where both spouse and I can commute within about 20 minutes?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 04:44 AM

No responses? I guess maybe a 20 min commute for both of us is not possible? Any recommendations please on where to live that might be in between downtown and Shafter?

Old 06-19-2010, 10:01 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
Normally there are a few on here that answer your type question; hopefully someone will be able to help you.

I haven't lived on Oahu in a couple of years but I remember that traffic in most of Honolulu was a mess. I knew a couple of people that commuted from Kailua (east side of the island) and made it into town faster than others coming in from Ewa Beach and other closer areas.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:48 PM

101 posts, read 415,847 times
Hi Subba,

You might consider living in the central area, like Salt Lake, Pearl City, Aiea. It's close to Fort Shafter.

I don't really think you can get anywhere in 20 minutes any more, but then again, the time of day matters the most. It used to be like that when I was younger, but now there are more people and more cars. Most families have 2 cars (and their kids have cars, too!). I would say it'd take you about 25-30 minutes, maybe a little longer with traffic.

If you lived in Kaneohe, you could drive over the Likelike Highway and get to Fort Shafter sooner than you think. A drive to Honolulu over these highways might not be so bad either. When I was a kid and lived in Kaneohe, we took the bus over the Likelike to Kalihi and it took a total of 30 minutes on "Da Bus." (I love Da Bus!) Driving to Honolulu, you could go over either the Pali or Likelike.

Hawaii Kai has just the one road going in and out. They're going to start construction soon there to widen the road, so that's going to be a nightmare. Check out this article from the DOT:

Kalanianaole Highway Improvements Project Begins Monday In Hawaii Kai — Hawaii Department of Transportation

When I lived in Hawaii Kai and drove to Kalihi, it took about, oh, 25 minutes. If you lived on the east end, but closer to Kahala, it'd take less time for sure. That long stretch on Kalanianaole can be brutal.

You could also try living near town! Somewhere like Manoa, Mo'ili'ili, Kahala, Nu'uanu, Punchbowl, Makiki. The more centrally located you live, the quicker it'd take both you and your spouse to get to work.

I say, just stay between Pearl City to Aina Haina, even considering living in Kaneohe or Kailua and you'd do just fine. The closer to Fort Shafter you live, the quicker it'd take you to get to Honolulu. Fort Shafter is very near the Likelike Highway, too.

Oooooh! Even living just off the Likelike or Pali Highway -- so beautiful. Maybe better off the Pali Highway. Very beautiful up there and scenic.

I've lived all over O'ahu, from Waipahu, Kaneohe, Waipio Gentry, Hawaii Kai, Salt Lake. And once you learn the back roads, though, you "geff 'em."

I hope that helps!

Last edited by in_my_travels; 06-19-2010 at 03:04 PM..

Old 06-20-2010, 08:52 PM

95 posts, read 296,347 times
Island Girl Going Home is right..... Let me add this... NO way should you consider Ewa Beach or Kapolei.... You will be stuck in traffic for ever going both ways. Aiea, Pearl City, Salt Lake are much better choices. If you're military, you'd be crazy not to live in the BRAND NEW base housing developments on the island. All that old 1950's style housing is GONE!!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:21 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
Salt Lake would be a better area if you want ot reach Fort Shafter fast (actually it would only be a free way onramp for the entire trip)

Old 06-21-2010, 09:27 AM

That's right, Rayinhawaii! I wouldn't even live there and I'm from Hawaii. Well, I'm sure I'd get a long just fine, but ho da traffic. No tanks! And it's dry over there. I no like.

And the brand new military housing? You can't beat that! Most are 4 bedrooms and have AC. Not that you really need it in Hawaii, but it's nice. And you don't have to pay electricity, yeah?

I agree with Arus. Salt Lake would really be ideal for them.

Oh, to the OP (What does OP mean? ): If your children are going to school downtown, you might consider living closer to their school. If you lived near Fort Shafter, you'd still have to make that early commute to town to drop them off at school.

Well, I guess you could drop them off en route to work. Anyway, that's something to think about, too. Let us know which area you're thinking about.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:41 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Right now, we are thinking of Pauoa Valley, Nuuanu, Pacific Heights, Alewa Heights, and Makiki for homes. Or also Kukui Plaza, Honolulu Tower, or Honolulu Park Place for condos (I think there are others, but these are some a friend mentioned). What do you think?

Old 06-23-2010, 06:02 AM

155 posts, read 516,294 times
Islandgirl, OP means Original Poster

Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 AM

Thanks, Alohikea!

subba, those locations are great! Very ideal locations to town and Fort Shafter.

I think the condos would be okay, but if you've got a child, you'd probably want to have a yard. You'd be right down in Waikiki, but the novelty will wear out sooner than you think, and you'd wish you had a house. Temporarily, it'd be great. Long-term, not so much. There'll always be traffic, people, noises, etc. I don't know if you'd have a balcony or not, but I know that children and balconies do not mix.

If you love living in an apartment, then forget what I said about the condos.

If you want to experience the beautiful Hawaiian lifestyle with your family, move into a house with a nice yard (big if you can get it) and smell the plumeria flowers every morning, while sipping your Lion's French Roast coffee and packing your child's bento box while the sun rises. Das da bes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu