Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,940,094 times

Advertisements

Hi Hawaiians and Dreamers,

I have a question. I keep reading that Honolulu ranks highest for standard of living of US cities, but everything I read here (or a lot of what I read here) is overwhelmingly negative. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 07:52 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Here is a good article that nets it out.

Is Hawaii Worth It? - Honolulu Magazine - April 2012 - Hawaii

Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 PM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Lots of wealthy people living in Honolulu. It's a fabulous place to live if you have tons of money to afford the cost of living with enough left over to party, eat out, go to events.

No place is fun if you are broke; especially not a place with a high cost of living.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:12 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,812,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post

I have a question. I keep reading that Honolulu ranks highest for standard of living of US cities, but everything I read here (or a lot of what I read here) is overwhelmingly negative. What gives?
HAWAII IS A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE.

But one of the reasons you can sometimes see a "negative" slant to responses here is because of the sort of questions/ problems that are presented. Many of the inquiries come from people who are underfunded (no job or low paying job, small savings, children who might need private school expenses, wanting to buy the cheapest land they can find and sometimes even sight-unseen, etc). Those sort of postings lead to "warning" responses.

What you don't see here are many postings from people who have a well paying job or profession, a large savings, are able to easily afford private school tuition, are able to afford the expense of mainland travel if needed for special-situation medical care, can afford to buy a new car instead of bringing the clunker or only able to afford to buy a clunker here, can afford to load up a container and move their household items, etc. Those well-financially-set folks don't usually need to be asking for anonymous internet forum help.

It is sort of like wondering why if Hawaii is such a healthy place to live, you see some many people in a doctor's office. The doctor gets the selected "sick" people. [While C-D often gets the selected "underfunded" people.]

Check out the other types of threads here that ask for things like "vacation" advice, you'll see many positive replies. Not all is doom and gloom in the Hawaii C-D forums.

[Disclaimer: I am not saying that everyone who posts here on a limited budget is doomed to failure, there are many people who get by fine because they are adaptable and know how to prioritize so that they can be successful. But the OP's question was why there seems to be so much negativity ... and much of that is due in part to the hit-and-run posters who visit here with underlying financial problems which would be better left on the more affordable mainland.]

Last edited by CyberCity; 05-09-2013 at 01:26 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 03:02 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,404,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Here is a good article that nets it out.

Is Hawaii Worth It? - Honolulu Magazine - April 2012 - Hawaii
Interesting article. The third person profiled, Gary Fontaine, was a grad-school adjunct professor of mine a few years ago at a college in Santa Barbara – very nice guy. He used to talk about how great the diving was off Boracay compared to Hawaii.

To the other responses on this thread, I'd add that, aside from the cost of living, a huge factor in whether you consider Hawaii a great place to live or not is the culture. Some people love it, and some people hate it. When Mainlanders I know visit Hawaii for the first time, I can usually predict who will like the locals, and who won't.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:11 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,940,094 times
Thanks for the responses. I had a sucispion it was all about the Benjis. So many people allow that to rule their life. Florida is similar. Hard to find good paying jobs here that allow one to live an upper middle-class life, so lots of people are unhappy and find all sorts of other things wrong here.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:17 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,308,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post

Sometimes people have unrealistic expectations. Honolulu for someone from a humble back east upbringing is very close to paradise. For someone who has been spoiled their whole life they will always find faults. The island of Oahu is truly stunning.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:03 PM

51 posts, read 82,815 times
What soured living here for me is the "us" vs "them" attitude...I came here with no preconceptions, no expectations of "paradise" and no high hopes...it was just a new place to see if I liked enough to live here for a while (I've traveled a bit and like to see the world). I wanted a change from Northern California (too cold for me).

I didn't like being ostracized and immediately outcast as some "mainlander" before I opened my mouth - to me, it's insulting. One doesn't know if I'm 4th generation Hawaiian or only been here 4 days if you're just judging me based on...what? I don't even know. Looks? I got tired of the xenophobia, reeeeally quickly. Even now, after being here a year, I still have people asking me how long I'm staying, if I'm a flight attendant, or if I was here on vacation. It's that pervasive mindset of "you couldn't be a local, could you" that's stupid.

On top of that, it's expensive for no reason other than the weather. You pay a lot more for a lot less: hospitality, friendliness, quality, modernity, space, efficiency, punctuality...when you take a hard, long look at it, you could go to plenty of other tropical islands and spend a lot less for the same level of inconvenience or standard of living that you get on Oahu or Kaua'i (I've lived on these two islands)...the only difference is that they wouldn't technically be a part of the U.S.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:53 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,812,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
To the other responses on this thread, I'd add that, aside from the cost of living, a huge factor in whether you consider Hawaii a great place to live or not is the culture. Some people love it, and some people hate it. When Mainlanders I know visit Hawaii for the first time, I can usually predict who will like the locals, and who won't.
That! "Glamorous" Hawaii can be an unexpected wake up call for some folks to the reality of cultural differences. Not used to being looked upon in an unfavorable light? Come to Hawaii for a dose of it, because Hawaii is an equal-opportunity-cultural-challenge [that is, everyone has a challenge here of some sort], that some people can handle well and others not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu