Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 04:17 AM

3 posts, read 7,005 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! I'm hoping to get an answer here from someone with experience. I'm moving to Oahu in June and am looking at real estate. A lot of available properties come with swimming pools, and while I'm not opposed to owning a pool, I'm concerned about the cost. What is the true cost of owning a pool on Oahu? I know there's the obvious electricity costs, the insurance costs, the chemical costs, etc, but in looking around the web I can't find the average monthly or annual cost for Oahu. So, if anyone has experience with this and would like to share, I'm all ears! Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 11:37 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
I've got a pool and it really depends on so many factors. The size, saltwater or not, heated or not ( I recommend heated), kind of pumps, if you have solar. Ask the current homeowner what they pay. I'd budget $500/month but that could be way to low or high.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:59 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,976 times
It would be difficult to come up with an "number" because of the variables. For example, the size of the pool would affect elect, chemical, and water costs. What is the heating system ... is there a heating system? Will you need a pool service or do the cleaning duties yourself? The location will matter, because if you heat the pool you'll find the weather of the area will affect the pool temperature.

Hopefully you are working with a knowledgeable realtor or someone else who can help you pick apart the costs involved in Hawaii for maintaining a pool. This would be one type of house-buying that would probably need an expert from Hawaii brought in the conversation, such as a realtor or pool company, to give advice.

If your bankroll is big enough, it won't matter so much. But if you are on a budget, it could eat you up, especially if you need repairs.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:48 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
just fyi, the pools on the base (JBPHH) have all shut down but one to save the cost of keeping them open. Very sad.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
just fyi, the pools on the base (JBPHH) have all shut down but one to save the cost of keeping them open. Very sad.
Huh??? What does that have to do with a home pool cost??

Old 05-13-2013, 06:14 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
A higher-end condo (on a golf course ~ we are talking $$ condo) in my area, only built about 6 years ago, is having discussions about closing down one of its two pools due to costs.

I suppose in today's economy, if the seller of a house is almost "tossing in the pool for free", it might be a good investment. But I wonder if having a pool right now is actually a "negative" when it comes to trying to sell. And if you pay much extra for a pool, are you setting yourself up to take a hit when it is time to sell the house?

It would sure be nice to have a home pool though.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:07 AM

3 posts, read 7,005 times
Thanks for all the info everyone! Really appreciate it...my first choice will be no pool.

Mahalo!

Old 05-14-2013, 07:28 AM

671 posts, read 1,118,413 times
I thought the 'true' cost would include some mention of the effect on a stressed water system resource on the island.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming95 View Post
I thought the 'true' cost would include some mention of the effect on a stressed water system resource on the island.
Having just taken a dip, care to elaborate? I've not read a single story since I've lived here that pools are causing doom and gloom to the Oahu water supply.

Quite frankly, home pools are a drop in the bucket - so to speak - compared to the water hotels on Waikiki use on a daily basis.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:14 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,039 times
And those surfers rinsing their surfboards off...that adds up. Or so I was told as I was rinsing mine off last sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu