Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 11:55 AM

43 posts, read 127,714 times

Advertisements

Hi! This forum has been always very helpful for me, so let me ask another question here although this may be a long shot.

We are planning to move to Pearl City next month. One school I would like to send my child to is in Honolulu and I just found out about the school bus that's run by Roberts Hawaii.

Does anybody let their kids use this bus? This bus picks up students from the west side of the island then brings them to multiple private schools. I spoke to Roberts Hawaii and collected some information, but I am a little concerned as the pick up time is so early (before 6am!) and looks like the bus arrives at school no earlier than 7am. So my child will be sitting on the bus for a long time and it may be too much for a six year old. And of course, I am worried about any possible behavior issues on the bus. On the other hand, if this works out, this can be a huge life saver for me as I will be working and will have a conflict schedule with bringing my child to school

If you have any experience with this bus, please let me know! Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 04:25 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,697 times
Hawaii has many instances of private companies contracting to run buses. Roberts, as a company, is large and professional. Individual bus routes can vary in behavior by the makeup of the students who ride the bus, and by the oversight of the individual bus driver. Is it a private school that you are thinking of enrolling your child? If so, does the private school maintain oversight of students' conduct while on the bus?

I speak from experience, so my intent is not just to being cranky, but I'd not set my 6 year old up for a pre-6am bus ride, with over an hour on the bus, and then a day of schooling. What sort of life is that for a very young child? If someone needs to "make an adjustment" so things work out, it should be the adults, not a 6 year old, IMHO.

Good luck with you planning and success with your choices.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:10 AM

43 posts, read 127,714 times
Yep, exactly my point. Now, I am also looking for different schools with easier commute. But if I stick to this original school in Honolulu, I will drive my child myself to school. Thanks!

Old 05-20-2013, 04:36 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,697 times
My gosh, a parent with forethought ... welcomed!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: