Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:03 PM

83 posts, read 120,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKfine View Post
Texans are friendly all over, and down to earth. In social public settings, a local cowboy hat and pair of boots go a long way saying " I like being part of you", and will endear you, no matter where you came from. San Antonio is worth seeing too, along the Riverwalk and tourist stops such as the Alamo and needle tower. Maybe go thru New Orleans on your way later to the east coast, worth it !!
Have fun!
Heeyyy there OKfine, thanks for your helpful response! I looove cowboy boots AND hats.. I def have to invest in some good ones!! ;-) do you think they'd find it weird for a petite asian girl wearing it offensive or like a poser? haha.. like "obviously.. this gal ain't from around here"..lol. I'd definitely love to check out San Antonio .. heard so many awesome things about there.. Sugar Land as well.. How long have you lived in TX? And also, you're very reassuring that Texans are friendly all over. I have heard that some people from the south don't take well to outsiders.. sometimes minorities as well. I don't want to get discriminated against, but I am very friendly and my bf says I'm pretty so I should be just fine. He is Puerto Rican (light skinned) but I don't want people to hate on him (he doesn't give a crap either way, he's from NY haha). But anyway.. what do you think about Texans and outsiders?

Also, my bf said when we get there, we're def goin to a Nascar and a rodeo event ;-) yeehaw! I soo cannot wait to go to an AMUSEMENT PARK!!!! Ride some roller coasters!! ;-)

Thanks again for replying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 08:07 PM

Hi there Dthraco! Thank you for saying that CC isn't a bad town..lol you are seriously the only person that has said that.. which is somewhat reassuring that one living person feels that way. From what I've read.. CC is pretty.. um, how do I put this.. ghetto, ugly, and just ain't pretty. I could care less about the ocean.. I lived across beautiful Waikiki beach in a condo for almost 2 years less than 5 mins away and didn't go to it once. I'm not a typical local gal at all and I won't miss the ocean.
I doo loove sweet tea so I can't wait for more of that.. O..m...g.. waterpark!! I am sooo there.. I know Austin is a college city, but if it's just to visit to check out the water rides/amusement parks.. I am soo down! Is there an amusement park that you'd recommend? Is there one in CC? Lol.

Also, what do you think the pros and cons are of living in TX? I'm freakin scared cause when I land it will be 96 degrees.. ahhh! I can hardly take this Hawaii weather lmao.. I hate tanning and am pretty fair. I know, we're crazy for goin to Tx but our friends really want us to stay with them for a bit, and the affordable-everything is so stinkin awesome.. and as mentioned, we'll be moving to Ny not long after (like in 3 months)..

Thanks again for your input! I appreciate it.

Last edited by zumbacutie1; 06-13-2013 at 08:16 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Did not move from here to there, but I did live in Dallas - Fort Worth for about 10 years. Corpus Christi is not that bad of a town.

I have no specific advice, just some fun memories to share. Food is super inexpensive and Tex-Mex food is downright amazing. Nothing like sippin Sweet Tea on the porch as the sun goes down on a hot sunny day. Swimming at night when it's still 85 out is pretty fun. Schlitterbahn waterpark in Austin...magical place. Have fun!
Heey there Dthraco! Thank you for saying that CC isn't a bad town..lol you are seriously the only person that has said that.. which is somewhat reassuring that one living person feels that way. From what I've read.. CC is pretty.. um, how do I put this.. ghetto, ugly, and just ain't pretty. I could care less about the ocean.. I lived across beautiful Waikiki beach in a condo for almost 2 years less than 5 mins away and didn't go to it once. I'm not a typical local gal at all and I won't miss the ocean.
I doo loove sweet tea so I can't wait for more of that.. O..m...g.. waterpark!! I am sooo there.. I know Austin is a college city, but if it's just to visit to check out the water rides/amusement parks.. I am soo down! Is there an amusement park that you'd recommend? Is there one in CC? Lol.

Also, what do you think the pros and cons are of living in TX? I'm freakin scared cause when I land it will be 96 degrees.. ahhh! I can hardly take this Hawaii weather lmao.. I hate tanning and am pretty fair. I know, we're crazy for goin to Tx but our friends really want us to stay with them for a bit, and the affordable-everything is so stinkin awesome.. and as mentioned, we'll be moving to Ny not long after (like in 3 months)..

Thanks again for your input! I appreciate it.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:35 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,522,222 times
I was born and raised in Wahiawa, and I left Hawaii to go to college in Austin, TX back in the 80s. It took some time for me to adjust to the culture, but I came back with great memories. I'm still close to a few friends from college and they visit me from time to time. They love Hawaii.

I remember great BBQ, soul food and Tex Mex. Great music scene! A pretty diverse population, especially in the bigger cities like Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston. I had a couple of uncomfortable incidents in some rural towns in East Texas. I'm Asian with a dark complexion, and some of the locals stared at me and were trying to act all hard. I didn't let it bother me. All in all, the good definitely outweighed the bad.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:38 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,829,821 times
Well Zumbacutie1, I did move from Oahu to Austin a few years ago. The transition was easy thanks to the people in Austin. The real coincidence was that my next door neighbor was Hawaiian. The particular neighborhood we moved into had a great inclusive vibe and a lot of block parties.
As for CC, I've been there a few time, but a long time ago during my Navy time. I didn't care for it, only because I like larger cities. It is closer to the beach than Austin though. Not sure of the current ethnic make up in CC, but there are growing Asian populations all over Texas, particularly Austin and Houston.
Good luck on your move.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,519,697 times
Texas doesn't have a state income tax and overall, it is generally much cheaper to live there than in Hawaii. Something to think about. (I spent a number of years in the Dallas area in the past). As my Hawaii state income tax rate has dramatically risen in the last year (near 10%), I have been considering a move back to the Dallas area. I work from home, so it doesn't really matter where I go and my manager and other peers are all in Dallas too.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:45 PM

152 posts, read 372,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumbacutie1 View Post
Heeyyy there OKfine, thanks for your helpful response! I looove cowboy boots AND hats.. I def have to invest in some good ones!! ;-) do you think they'd find it weird for a petite asian girl wearing it offensive or like a poser? haha.. like "obviously.. this gal ain't from around here"..lol. I'd definitely love to check out San Antonio .. heard so many awesome things about there.. Sugar Land as well.. How long have you lived in TX? And also, you're very reassuring that Texans are friendly all over. I have heard that some people from the south don't take well to outsiders.. sometimes minorities as well. I don't want to get discriminated against, but I am very friendly and my bf says I'm pretty so I should be just fine. He is Puerto Rican (light skinned) but I don't want people to hate on him (he doesn't give a crap either way, he's from NY haha). But anyway.. what do you think about Texans and outsiders?

Also, my bf said when we get there, we're def goin to a Nascar and a rodeo event ;-) yeehaw! I soo cannot wait to go to an AMUSEMENT PARK!!!! Ride some roller coasters!! ;-)

Thanks again for replying!

I have not lived there in a few years , but, did so for several. I must point out that there are so many people from everywhere, especially since there are multiple military bases, facilities, with them of every background and heritage. Lackland Basic training, Brooke Army Medical Center, Ft Sam Houston army, major military hospital, HQ USAF Personnel and more, at Randolph AFB, near Universal City north of San Antonio, very near, on and on. Similarities to Oahu and the locations,. Also, New Braunfels a little north, has an October Fest Beer festival yearly, bratwurst,and more. Great college & activities at Austin, etc. ALL have varied backgrounds and people from all over. Bias is individual at any location, so do your thing and ignore the few idiots, if any. Enjoy !!

Old 06-14-2013, 03:20 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,101,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumbacutie1 View Post
Heey there Dthraco! Thank you for saying that CC isn't a bad town..lol you are seriously the only person that has said that.. which is somewhat reassuring that one living person feels that way. From what I've read.. CC is pretty.. um, how do I put this.. ghetto, ugly, and just ain't pretty. I could care less about the ocean.. I lived across beautiful Waikiki beach in a condo for almost 2 years less than 5 mins away and didn't go to it once. I'm not a typical local gal at all and I won't miss the ocean.

Well, if you go there thinking it will be ghetto, you will see the ghetto. If you go there thinking it is going to be a fun adventure, you will see the adventure. There is some very tasty food and warm people there.

Yes, Schliterbahn is a water park...a HUGE one...amazing place. There is also a Six Flags in Houston (or there was)..they have gigantic roller coasters.

Texas is HOT. Nice at night time, but during the day you pretty much stay inside A/C. Pros and cons to living in Texas?

Pro's:
Inexpensive cost of living
TONS of really good food
Doesn't get too cold for long in the winter.
Fireflies and long drives.
Cheap gas.
Armadillo's - If you see a live one, they are FAST. Most you see are road kill though.

Con's:
August where it's 100+ degrees for 20 days straight is pretty rough.
Lots of bugs. Plenty snakes too. Learn what can hurt you so you can avoid it.
Racism is still pretty strong in that part of the country.

This is a pretty short basic list. I could go on more, but it gets more related to my experiences there, yours will be different.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Texas doesn't have a state income tax and overall, it is generally much cheaper to live there than in Hawaii. Something to think about. (I spent a number of years in the Dallas area in the past). As my Hawaii state income tax rate has dramatically risen in the last year (near 10%), I have been considering a move back to the Dallas area. I work from home, so it doesn't really matter where I go and my manager and other peers are all in Dallas too.
Hey Mdand3boys, thank you for your response! .. Nice.. about the no state income tax. I definitely know that TX is a million times more affordable than Hawaii.. I just don’t feel the warm weather and “semi” nice ‘fake aloha’ people are really worth throwing away my hard-earned paycheck for. And btw, when I say ‘fake aloha’.. my bf says aloha to people all the time in a nice, friendly way, and I cannot tell you how many people gave him dirty looks (these are from locals), and how they NOT ONCE say it back.. so f* the aloha bs. “Driving with Aloha” is another lie, and it makes me want to rip the sticker off the car each time I see it cause it’s a total sham. There are way friendlier people elsewhere. So now it’s just the weather. Nope. Still not worth paying a crap-ton of money for… and then some!

If you don’t mind me asking, what type of work do you do that allows you to stay at home? It must be very steady that you can do that in Hawaii or in Dallas. Good luck if you do decide to move back to Tx.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKfine View Post
I have not lived there in a few years , but, did so for several. I must point out that there are so many people from everywhere, especially since there are multiple military bases, facilities, with them of every background and heritage. Lackland Basic training, Brooke Army Medical Center, Ft Sam Houston army, major military hospital, HQ USAF Personnel and more, at Randolph AFB, near Universal City north of San Antonio, very near, on and on. Similarities to Oahu and the locations,. Also, New Braunfels a little north, has an October Fest Beer festival yearly, bratwurst,and more. Great college & activities at Austin, etc. ALL have varied backgrounds and people from all over. Bias is individual at any location, so do your thing and ignore the few idiots, if any. Enjoy !!
Hi there OKFine! I like that it’s a very diverse place.. wow, those are a lot of bases lol. You mentioned October Fest Beer festival.. ah if only I could've partaken in that like 4 years ago..haha. Well actually, maybe it was better that way lol ;-) My bf and I don’t drink even though we are young (I’m 26 my bf is 27.. used to, been there, done that, and then some..heh, retired I guess).. so we will need to find some clean/non-alcohol party fun but I’m not worried since there will be lots of places, I’m sure!

Lol and yes I’ll be sure to ignore some idiots.. I know that there are populations of some Asians there, mainly Vietnamese so I won't be one in the million there (or will I?..lol) but I just didn’t want to stick out like a sore thumb being Japanese/Okinawan. I’m sure it will be just fine and I am totally lookin forward to moving, ASAP!! =) =) !! Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu