Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 05:11 PM

8 posts, read 11,403 times

Advertisements

My thoughts exactly. I could also tell you where to pick up some decent free furniture and where most of the reasonable (and centrally located) rentals are situated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:10 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyDave View Post
You could probably also find a nice friend to help you store your few furniture pieces over the 6 months. I'm currently enjoying a friends chameleon couch (something I couldn't afford) while she spends a few months with her family in Minnesota. Just a thought.
Just curious...what is a chameleon couch?

Old 06-19-2013, 09:10 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
It's a couch that changes colors and patterns quickly. It has a long tongue, and feeds on throw pillows.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's a couch that changes colors and patterns quickly. It has a long tongue, and feeds on throw pillows.
ROFLMBO!!!

Why do titles of threads like these sound like singles ads?

Old 06-19-2013, 02:36 PM

189 posts, read 283,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post

Haha it's basically a couch that you can convert a number of different ways. What I mean to say is, it's a versatile piece of furniture that can be both a regular couch (straight line) or it can be configured into quite a few different configurations.

Er: The Damer Family: Chameleon Couch

That's not the one I'm couch-sitting (man that works on a few different levels) but pretty similar. Great fun for lounging! I'm pretty sure there's a industry/jargon word for it, but a design friend of mine came over to my house one day and said "oh cool - a chameleon couch!" So I've just been going with that since

Old 06-22-2013, 07:42 PM

8 posts, read 8,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFriend View Post
Be very careful of online ads for rentals. I realize that is just about your only way to shop but my experience is that 90% of those ads are total scams, particularly because of the draw of Hawaii, paradise, etc. They usually give themselves away by featuring really nice places at really low prices.
It's nowhere near 90%; more like 5-10% (which is still high). Aside from having places at unusually low rents, the biggest dead giveaway is that instead of using the anonymized craigslist email for the reply, they put an actual yahoo/hotmail/gmail email as a reply-to address. No idea why they should do that, but it's been the case with every one I've found that's been a scam. Of course it's just a throwaway and usually they reply to you from a different one. Also, a scan through the listings or a Google image search can often turn up where they took the listing from (usually they'll just copy a real listing and cut the rent by 25%).

Old 06-22-2013, 08:04 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx Factor View Post
It's nowhere near 90%; more like 5-10% (which is still high).
Agreed, I don't know why people think or say most of the rental ads are scams. They aren't.

And why people would try to rent a place from the mainland is equally a mystery to me. Get to the island, schedule an appointment, see the place in person, and if you like it, rent it. And bring a copy of your own credit report. Don't pay an application fee.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 793 times
Living in Hawaii is extremely expensive. The price of paradise.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:55 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,812,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnk2330 View Post
Living in Hawaii is extremely expensive. The price of paradise.
Gosh golly the bestest post of the week!

Old 09-03-2013, 10:06 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,072,294 times
"but doing it at 43 years old vs. 65 years old"

So you wont be surfing the North Shore and Sandy with me?

"Get Of My Lawn!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu