Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 04:50 PM

152 posts, read 372,692 times

Advertisements

I know, best to read the forum but he is at that age where he knows best...LOL. My suggestion was go, stay awhile, and look around first. He has never been and I have, and I suggested a methodical process. Well he wants to go by next summer, and is retired military, and, retired from another job, so lets say a net income of $48,000. Now a widower, grown kids, and just sees himself near a beach area, and can shop military locations for foods, plus the farmers markets of course. Plans to ship a 2 year old car, and few possessions, and later buy anything there. He is about late 60s and in future COULD need easier access getting older, so a "ground floor access" and no elevators are better to avoid some condo type that often have busy elevators for those moving in/out, and avoiding eventual stairs climbing. Lease below $1800 with utilities included, or $1500 w/o. may work. Studios seem to not have much closet or any place for anything, so a one bedroom may be best. Salt lake, Miliani, or Makaha may work, as he can drive to shop at Hickham or Schofield during, days to avoid at least some, traffic congestions.

Craigslist " sometimes " has viable places but sometimes BS scams. He told me he "preferred' an in unit washer/dryer, but central laundry may be a comprise, but less preferred for lots of time/access reasons. Tile or wooden laminate floors are hard to find in older buildings I note these days, but a "must" as he despises carpeting. Plus the replacement hassles if he stays a long time, which he most likely will do. Any ideas on ground floor places, feel free and thanks !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 05:57 PM

941 posts, read 1,970,783 times
You've covered a lot of important topics and I think you're on the right track: knowing what you want, some target locations and a budget. But frankly, what you need is a buyer's agent or renter's agent to work for you, someone who deserves to get paid for their time.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:25 PM

152 posts, read 372,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
You've covered a lot of important topics and I think you're on the right track: knowing what you want, some target locations and a budget. But frankly, what you need is a buyer's agent or renter's agent to work for you, someone who deserves to get paid for their time.

Thank you, a good and reasonable direction !

Old 06-29-2013, 11:18 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,964,068 times
[quote=KauaiHiker;30256060 But frankly, what you need is a buyer's agent or renter's agent to work for you, someone who deserves to get paid for their time.[/QUOTE]

There are renters agents in Hawaii?

Old 07-04-2013, 11:51 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,367,658 times
You lost me on the price tag.

My neighbors just relocated back to the mainland. They're retired, in their 70's. They own a house in VA and had moved back previously because of pressure from their kids. At the beginning of a hard winter he said "C'mon, we're going back to HI" But they flew back to VA this week - he had a minor scrape and started thinking about what could happen if he got hospitalized and no one would "take care of" his wife. Good hubby.

Incidentally, they came back to The Waterfront.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:33 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,002,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
I google'd that because I've never heard of here..... I got no hits, but didn't make much effort.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-04-2013, 06:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,964,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I google'd that because I've never heard of here..... I got no hits, but didn't make much effort.
I suspect there are some relocation experts on Oahu but I seriously doubt they deal in anything less than $3,000/month rentals and probably have a 1 month fee like the brokers in Boston.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:20 PM

32 posts, read 61,760 times
Look for real estate companies that manage property. They will know what is available where and are paid by the owners of the property they manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: