Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 12:44 AM

25 posts, read 67,569 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am moving back to the mainland for a job transfer and am having a bit of trouble selling my car through Craigslist. I am wondering if anyone has experiences selling through a consignment lot? Any recommended lots, or places to stay away from?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 01:11 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
I've popped into Autosource on Kapiolani, they have a large showroom - they tend to sell higher end cars (classics, BMW, Land Rover, Lexus, etc). They had a friendly staff but I haven't bought or sold from them.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,525,820 times
May be worth it to contact a dealership. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of private party, so I just sold my car to the Hyundai dealership. They didn't give me as much as I likely could've gotten private party, but it was way easier and I could guarantee it was gone before I left the island.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:57 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,039 times
+1 on just selling the car to a dealership and not dealing with the hassle.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:49 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
There are a couple of key things to consider in deciding whether to choose consignment sales of any kind...

1. What happens if the item being consigned doesn't sell within a specified period of time?

2. What happens if it is damaged?

3. What happens if the seller closes the business before the item is sold?

4. What happens if the item is sold and the seller "forgets" to send you the money owed?

I learned the hard way to ask all four hard questions, at various points in my life.

In general, I think consignment sales can work for you when you simply want to offload the task of selling something personally, and/or want to gain the exposure of a retail sales environment for whatever you're selling. Artwork, furniture, musical instruments, rare books... these are all areas where consignment sales have worked for me in the past. But I've also been burned by one business folding its tent and slipping away in the night, taking my consigned items with them, another knocking the offering price down without my advance approval, another selling my property and not notifying me until I followed up in person. "It's not here!! Show me the money!!"

Leaving something in consignment when you leave the state? That's risky. How you going to follow up on it? Seems to me a dealer sale would be a lot less worries. Although... dropping your ad price works too.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:20 PM

25 posts, read 67,569 times
Thanks all for the thoughtful replies! I will definitely contact dealerships - that is something I hadn't thought of. I will also take into account your points about consignment, if I go that direction.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:01 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Drop the price. If you list it really cheap, it should sell and you will still get more than the dealer will pay you. He'll only buy at wholesale price and if he knows you are leaving, he will bargain hard.

How much is the car worth? Is it worth the $1200 to ship it back to the mainland?

Old 07-02-2013, 11:17 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
Whatdya have?

Old 07-02-2013, 11:28 PM

189 posts, read 282,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyRugby View Post
Thanks all for the thoughtful replies! I will definitely contact dealerships - that is something I hadn't thought of.
Sold my Santa Fe to a dealer and within three days had about 90% of what I wanted to get out of it! They know cars and can look past some minor stuff that private people may get 'stuck' on - count me in on that too! Just know the value of your car before going in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu