Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 12:24 PM

163 posts, read 317,422 times

Advertisements

Pm me his contact info if you don't mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 12:57 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,526,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klein5 View Post
....I've heard rumors of electricity being extremely high....like so high people unplug things when not using them. Is that the case?
It isn't a rumor. Hawaii has the highest electric rates in the country. They are a little cheaper on Oahu than the outer islands, but still 3-4 times the rate you are paying now in your mainland house.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:05 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,909 times
Quote:
COMPUTER TECH?-
I have a Dell thats never been used. It's a few years old, had windows vista on it and I took it off and erased everything on it. Are computer tech people terribly expensive? I'm pretty sure I have all of the windows cd's to put xp on it. I just wonder if it's worth taking or if I should just leave it here.
There are a few Best Buy places on island, and they have the Geek Squad. There are local guys that do side-work as well. I am a computer guy myself, but don't work on home computers for people...too much drama.

The reason I mention this is because I moved over to a laptop about 6 months before we moved. I knew we would have less space, and keeping a desktop / monitor, etc just didn't sound too fun. Glad I made that choice. It came in VERY handy upon arrival because we didn't have internet yet, and I could take the laptop to the coffee shop to look up stuff, check e-mail, etc.

If it was a Vista machine, that gives me an indication of how old it is. If it was me, I would move forward and get a touch screen Windows 8 laptop in the $500-$600 range.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 PM

174 posts, read 349,698 times
Quote:
Pm me his contact info if you don't mind
PM sent

Old 09-11-2013, 11:29 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,693,256 times
Klein5, look up the cost per kilowatt hour on Oahu (it's about 44 cents/kwh on the BI) and compare with the cost per kilowatt hour where you live now. Although you won't have all the same appliances and no pool you can still get a pretty good idea of what you would pay on Oahu compared to what you pay now.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:37 PM

163 posts, read 317,422 times
Thanks Sbartist.

I'm so glad you said that Dreaming, that was my next question lol. I already chunked my bill for last month but it's about time for the next one to come in. I'll be sure to check it out.

Not much to update here, still dealing with moving stuff... blah!!!

I am curious to find out when the sunset time is year round there. Since there is no daylight savings time I'm interested to see if it changes or if it is about the same time each season.

Also, even though I've checked the temps and yearly avgs a dozen times, I need to check them again. The baby has got to have some clothes and I need to figure out if I can score some deals by buying summer sell items

I'm sorta brainstorming things...If anyone thinks of things to add please let me know or feel free to copy and paste to add to my list
Things to take as a carry on for plane:
Kids shot records
marriage certificate--don't know why but it may come in handy?
social security cards
drivers licenses
birth certificates
toys for baby
snacks for all
baby food
medications
vitamins
Kids kindles/chargers

Old 09-12-2013, 07:49 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,876,612 times
Sunrise and Sunset for U.S.A. – Hawaii – Honolulu – July 2013

7:18 July 1
5:48 December 1

Old 09-12-2013, 08:01 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,358,267 times
Motion sickness meds?

Soft socks to put on and take shoes off. (easy airport shoes) (watch for damp bathroom floors, though)

easy to smoosh down shawls or small blankets so they can be in charge of snuggling if they want/need to or if they feel chilly.

I love audio books but I seem to be out of the ordinary on this one.
I plan my trips by them: "I can listen to (3) 4-hr novels on the trip..."

Old 09-12-2013, 09:28 PM

If and when YOU get a Hawaii's driver's license and if you changed from your maiden name to take your husband's name, you will need to take your birth certificate AND marriage certificate with you to the DMV Ü

Old 09-12-2013, 09:31 PM

Get refills on your Rx's before arriving. I ran into an issue with an Rx I had that was issued by an ARNP at a military facility and they (Longs / CVS) would not honor it here. I had to find a doctor, make an appointment and have them write an Rx for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu