Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:06 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times

Advertisements

Hot and dry in Makakilo and the commute would be absolutely brutal. Which school did you want your kids to go to? Guess I could go back and look but I'm being lazy at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 11:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klein5 View Post
Hubby is used to an hour commute. That's pretty typical from where we live here. The last job he had was an hour commute and he was there a year and a half. Here though carpooling helps. They would meet up at a central location on the way to work and ride together/take turns driving.
From Kapolei you might have an hour commute in the morning 3 months of the year. Add more time the other 9 months. And if you think the morning commute is bad, you'll have plenty of 2 hour commutes in the evening from Waikiki to Kapolei.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:01 AM

174 posts, read 349,678 times
I apologize (it's Friday night and I am enjoying my second glass of wine) - were you all looking to buy or rent a place? There is a condo for sale in the building next to ours. Doing a quick search there are two units in our building for sale but they are small and they are leasehold which I don't recommend.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:11 AM

174 posts, read 349,678 times
Okay sorry, scratch that. It sold and closed 8.27.13

Old 08-31-2013, 07:02 AM

163 posts, read 317,372 times
Morning everyone!
We will be renting. Kids will be in public school. I've looked at the schools performance on tests etc. including Kapolei. They are comparable to where we go now. If anyone has any first hand experiences with the schools please let me know I think the Kapolei school is fairly new, does that sound right?
Since my son is in high school, I checked the high schools test results etc.
The schools I have on my the list are:
Kaiser
Kalani
Kailua
Mililani
Moanalua

I just don't know about that area. I spoke with my husband last night and explained to him about the commute. He reminded me that he is contracted out so in all honesty, I guess he could be at work anywhere on the island. We do know there is a lot of work in Waikiki though.

Rent budget...I'd like to start out on the cheap end of the budget if we can find something. This may mean more of a commute and kids sharing rooms to achieve the price. I want to make sure we can afford all of our expenses before we jump into our max rent budget. I'd like to find something around 2,000-2,700 for at least 3 bedrooms.

I need a yard, (I can't do the little lanai's that are fenced in and 10x10) not opposed to town homes or apartments as long as the kids have outdoor spaces safe to play. My kids are used to going and playing with neighbors down the street. It'd be great if we could keep that part of life familiar to them. I'd prefer some sort of neighborhood with a community workout facility and pool but can make do without it.

Umm yea, so I know I may be dreaming and that may not be doable at all but if anyone has any suggestions or can point me in a direction that would be great! I guess worst case we could do a huge commute with rent in the bottom of the budget, put the kids in school and get a better feel for the island and relocate to a more desirable place at the end of our lease?

Old 08-31-2013, 11:42 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
You'd better budget a lot of money for gas if you are seriously thinking of Kapolei. Don't underestimate that spend - a place with a more desirable commute may allow your budget for rent to go up.

You will really regret Kapolei if you have to commute to Waikiki even occasionally.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:48 PM

163 posts, read 317,372 times
good point, very true

Old 08-31-2013, 10:08 PM

48,580 posts, read 34,966,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klein5 View Post
Wow, that just figures. The views from MAKAKILO are so pretty. The price tag is VERY appealing.
The prices run inversely to the drive time to town. Less rental = longer commute

I will not get on the road to go to town until after 10am and back before 2pm (I'm in Mililani).

I don't do traffic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-01-2013, 01:30 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,356,251 times
Tonight a cement truck (I've been told) dumped accidentally :O on H1. HOURS of commute time. I was there... coming from town to Ewa. HOURS, I tell you.

I really love it over on the Windward side. Did I mention that?

Old 09-01-2013, 02:21 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
Kailua is a wonderful town for kids to grow up in. Lovely beach, easy to ride around on bikes, nice commute into Honolulu. It rains a bit now and then, but it's warm rain and then the rainbows come out. Dunno how the rent situation would be, but it's a great starting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu