Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:55 PM

25 posts, read 43,414 times

Advertisements

Aloha
I checked 2012 and 2013 school rankings published by the Honolulu Magazine and Waikiki Elementary school has been in Top 3 both times. When I told some local people that I am targetting that school for my kids when I move there, they gave me a look of "Are you kidding me?". While I want to believe in the published rankings but I am not getting good feel from locals about it. Part of the reason may be that they are not up to date and it must have been a not so good school in the past. Any opinion from the folks in this forum who have kids in elementary school in Oahu?
Also, I want to know how safe the area is behind the Waikiki Elementary school (mainly Pualei Cir) is? I am targetting that (just because of the school) for a living place. Kahala and Hawaii Kai are the other areas that seem to have a good combination of school and life style. Any comments?

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 12:16 AM

106 posts, read 230,118 times
For some reason I was confusing Thomas Jefferson elementary off Pualani Way in Waikiki near Kuhio and Kapahulu with the school you mentioned, Waikiki elementary not too far away also but in the area I'd consider Diamond Head,,or thereabouts, I guess it still is considered 'off waikiki' but a fabulous area in my opinion. I would love to live there and know a few families who do.

Don't know a thing about the school, but the area is great. So pretty there and close to Kapiolani park. Mostly single family residences.

I would be curious why 'locals' would say that. ARe they actually 'locals' or transplants who are coming up to their own conclusions of Waikiki when you mention "Waikiki elementary school". Not that there is anything wrong either with living in Waikiki, just a different vibe : condos, tourists, hotels, lack of community. But that area around Waikiki elementary I dont think it tecnically called Waikiki. I guess it could be, but...

Old 07-19-2013, 12:50 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,775 times
Hawa14
Are you on island? I bought in Pualei Circle in 1977. Fabulous area, close to the beach and Waikiki. Rents from $1500 to $2500 mostly one bedrooms but some two bedrooms. In the center are great two story two bedroom townhouses. Rarely available to buy or rent. Here's a great 2 bedroom. I also own behind the school, Diamond Head Sands. All one bedroom or studios. Quieter than Pualei Circle but no in unit W/D. Don't know about the school but the area is safe. Three parcels away and you have multi million dollar houses and 4 parcels away and there was a $25,000,000 home.

Why are you looking in Hawaii Kai? It is isolated compared to Diamond Head. if you're going up to $2500 I'd look at the Gold Coast ON THE BEACH! It would be smaller and limited parking but I'd put the kid on a futon and enjoy a totally different lifestyle than you'd get in Hawaii Kai.

Sans Souci 30 day Rentals Some vacation rental people will make a deal for long term rentals.

Oceanfront 3-Month rental: Sept-Nov 1 bdrm/2 bath+Den
two bedroom next to Waikiki Elementary

Aloha
Honobob

Old 07-19-2013, 01:46 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawa14 View Post
When I told some local people that I am targetting that school for my kids when I move there, they gave me a look of "Are you kidding me?".
They are probably giving you the "Are you kidding me" look because Waikiki lately is like Tokyo, NYC, Mexico City, Sao Paulo - as in, the volume of people is more than the area can handle.

Hawaii had record tourism in 2012 - which will be shattered in 2013 - it is so darn crowded there now to the point where it is nuts - in 2008, the complete opposite, you'd you to Waikiki on a Saturday, and you'd say - where is everyone - and oceanfront rooms were under $200 - it is now 7 day a week crowded - and not much difference between high and low season anymore - just crazy all year round now. I have fun in Waikiki - but it is crazy crowded now.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:41 AM

Thank you all.
Thanks Honobobo, very encouraging. The last link in your email is the one I am currently interested in. I am relocating in a week. I have driven by the Pualei Cir in the past and didnt notice any issues or safetly concerns. The downside is that no amenities (unlike some condos in Kahala or Hawaii Kai where you could find pools, barbecue and other amenities) but being close to Park and waikiki is definitely a plus. I am assuming there is also an inside road to beach making it a short walk (i may be wrong). Some folks recommended Hawaii Kai to me because their point was that it is a residential area with a feel for community and good school and close to shopping.

manapua12 The folks we were talking to are local but their kids are older so I think in general it is a perception that how could one study in waikiki (a touristy place)

Old 07-19-2013, 03:36 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,775 times
Quote:
Thank you all.
I have driven by the Pualei Cir in the past and didnt notice any issues or safetly concerns. The downside is that no amenities (unlike some condos in Kahala or Hawaii Kai where you could find pools, barbecue and other amenities) but being close to Park and waikiki is definitely a plus.
I think there are 6 pools in Pualei for maybe 11 developments.

Diamond Head Alii Corp 3027 Pualei Circle 307 Honolulu HI 96815
Pool and barbeque! When I lived in Pualei the pool was mine. People just go to the beach. Do you have short term accommodations for your arrival? My first Christmas was spent in a hi rise in Hawaii Kai. Out in the jacuzzi and i\I'm still convinced it will snow anytime now.

I'm flying in next Saturday and would be happy to give you the Pualei/Gold Coast tour. PM me if interested.

aloha
honobob

Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 PM

10 posts, read 23,447 times
I am considering Waikiki Elementary for my children as well. I toured 12 schools (both public & private) when I visited last year...knowing that we would be relocating in 2014. I chose this school based on many different reasons: high school ranking, teaching/learning philosophy. principal, programs and ultimately the feeling I got when I toured the school. Have you toured there yet? I encourage you to do so, and go with your gut.

Also the school boundary could be the difference of one side of the street to another considering there are a good handful of elementary schools in the area. Check the school's official web site for the streets and I would also call with your new address to verify that you are "in-boundary" and eligible. The area is quite safe ( I love the proximity to the beaches, zoo, restaurants and park) and almost unaffordable for my family of 5.....the base price for a single family home is nothing below a million dollars. There are only a limited number of condos and apartments that fit our size. Hawaii Kai was also on my list.....but a tough commute for my husband. I would hate for him to sit in traffic.....he has enough of that on the mainland.

All in all, I am still going to give the school a try. I am looking forward to downsizing, living simply, teaching my children that there are so many beautiful (and free) experiences that await them. I must budget effectively, enjoy the freedom of a new lifestyle, and be in the moment. We only have a short term plan for Hawaii....so we'll make the absolute most if it!

Old 07-31-2013, 11:25 PM

82 posts, read 205,383 times
The area you are seeking is near Waikiki but not part of the main Waikiki peninsula. Only tourists are those walking up Diamond Head to the lookout. As others said there are only 1-2 bedroom walk up most built late 50s to early 60s. Lots of swimming pools and walking distance to park and beach. Rentals in the area are competitive to get and go quick. Nice for those that dislike high rise living. Rents are $$$. Sale prices are $400,000 to $650,000. Waikiki Elementary is highly rated. I can attest it's reputation. Don't confuse it with Jefferson Elementary off Ala Wai Boulevard that serves actual Waikiki residents/children.

Aloha

Old 08-04-2013, 01:18 PM

Thank you all for your response to my original post.

Update: We arrived on the island last Friday. What a competition for renting a place! Probably due to schools opening tomorrow. Finally we found a place in Hawaii Kai. Still opening our suitcases and looking for used furniture. Getting used to living in high rise. Hauling groceries from parking garage to elevator to apartment is not easy...I guess we will get used to it eventually
Lots of adjustments to make but no complaints so far. I think we are still under that moving stress which hopefully will be over soon

Mahalo!

Old 08-04-2013, 01:35 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Hauling groceries from parking garage to elevator to apartment is not easy...I guess we will get used to it eventually
Buy a fold-up wheeled cart somewhere like Walmart - that don't take up much space, you can keep it in the trunk or in your unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu