Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 04:24 PM

15 posts, read 23,773 times

Advertisements

From Aikahi you would jump on H3 and cut over on Kamehameha Hwy to the Pali to go into town (Honolulu) or drive through Kailua and get on the Pali directly. To get to the airport or anywhere West of there, H3 is a great traffic-free drive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 04:26 PM

15 posts, read 23,773 times
My guess on Aikahi home rentals is probably 3-4K a month.
You may find similar homes for less in Kalaheo Hillside, which is very comparable and also in the Aikahi school district.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:43 PM

62 posts, read 332,472 times
Aloha,

I think it is personal preference thing and will depend on what you and your family are looking for. Also, what is for rent at that particular time, etc. Both are nice areas with a lot to offer. When you are on island, visit, as they each have their own feel. We ended up choosing Hawaii Kai and love it. We live on a ridge and get a lovely breeze and never have to use a/c. There are several shopping centers close by, a movie theater, etc. You're also close to Kahala Mall. I will say, there is pretty much one way in and out (going town direction) which is Kal Hwy. I drive that back and forth so much I could do it in my sleep! Our child attends private school, but I have heard the local public schools - Koko Head and Hahaione Elementary, Niu Valley Middle and Kaiser High are supposed to be some of the better ones, if that is of concern for you.

Best of luck on your move!

Old 07-29-2013, 07:56 PM

163 posts, read 316,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowermom View Post
Aloha,

I think it is personal preference thing and will depend on what you and your family are looking for. Also, what is for rent at that particular time, etc. Both are nice areas with a lot to offer. When you are on island, visit, as they each have their own feel. We ended up choosing Hawaii Kai and love it. We live on a ridge and get a lovely breeze and never have to use a/c. There are several shopping centers close by, a movie theater, etc. You're also close to Kahala Mall. I will say, there is pretty much one way in and out (going town direction) which is Kal Hwy. I drive that back and forth so much I could do it in my sleep! Our child attends private school, but I have heard the local public schools - Koko Head and Hahaione Elementary, Niu Valley Middle and Kaiser High are supposed to be some of the better ones, if that is of concern for you.

Best of luck on your move!
Are there neighborhoods within Hawaii Kai that are kid friendly? If so what are they or the street names?
We live in a subdivision on the mainland. Here it's common for kids to go and come from each house to play with other kids. We are very friendly with other parents and neighbors.

Are there places on Oahu that are similar to this feel?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Hahaione Valley where I used to live seems very kid friendly - with a couple of parks for kids - basketball court - I'd see kids there all the time. A mix of condos and single family homes. The main street thru the area is Hahaione Street.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 PM

62 posts, read 332,472 times
Within Hawaii Kai I agree with the other poster, Hahaione Valley is a good option. Also consider Kalama Valley and Mariner's Valley both have nice parks, single family homes and a few condo/townhomes.

Millilani, in Central Oahu, has a planned development feel. I honestly don't know much about the area, I was just there briefly for a track meet. It looked very family friendly.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:12 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the responses. I'm also having to take my husbands commute and my kids being in a public school system. I've been doing tons of research. The kicker is I have one going into the 3rd grade and one going into the 9th grade. I'm looking for an area that has the 'better' school systems on the island. I've been checking into reviews as well as test scores online etc... I'm sure the housing decision will come down to what's available at the time too. Anyone know about the Kailua School systems?
Here's what I'm looking for in order lol. If I'm on the wrong track please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it
Good Schools from elementary to high school
Commute to Waikiki
Any community feel is an added bonus!!!

Old 07-29-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klein5 View Post
Commute to Waikiki
If the commute to Waikiki is important to you - I'd stick with Hawaii Kai, Kailua will have a longer commute. I'd also steer away from Kalama Valley as the commute from there depending on location can add a solid 15+ minutes each way compared to Hahaione Valley.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If the commute to Waikiki is important to you - I'd stick with Hawaii Kai, Kailua will have a longer commute. I'd also steer away from Kalama Valley as the commute from there depending on location can add a solid 15+ minutes each way compared to Hahaione Valley.
What is the commute time difference between Hawaii Kai & Kailua?

I googled it and it wasn't that much of a difference...but in the traffic, I can't really guesstimate it.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klein5 View Post
What is the commute time difference between Hawaii Kai & Kailua?

Different factors involved like where in Hawaii Kai/Kailua - and if UH in session - and what time you commute. I'd expect a commute from Hawaii Kai to Waikiki to take 30 minutes give or take - and the commute from Kailua would be 15+ minutes each direction above Hawaii Kai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu