Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 08:49 AM

44 posts, read 64,485 times

Advertisements

Part of my decision to take a job in Oahu is the ability for my wife to get a part time job to cover my mortgage payment in Texas should we not be able to rent it out as well as cover the increase in utilities that I will be paying.

My wife has a degree in Electrical Engineering although hasn't used it in 25 years. She has been substitute teaching for about 3 years in Texas and is currently beginning the certification process for teaching.

How easy will it be for her to get a part time job in Oahu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 09:28 AM

258 posts, read 422,670 times
I can't speak to how easy it is to get one of these jobs in Oahu, but with her background in education if she is interested in working with kids with autism there are a few job postings currently for behavioral therapists (sometimes called tutors, skill trainers, behavioral technicians, behavior interventionists.) There are frequently job postings for these positions in Oahu.

~Katy

Old 08-05-2013, 12:33 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyengineer View Post
Part of my decision to take a job in Oahu is the ability for my wife to get a part time job to cover my mortgage payment in Texas should we not be able to rent it out as well as cover the increase in utilities that I will be paying.

My wife has a degree in Electrical Engineering although hasn't used it in 25 years. She has been substitute teaching for about 3 years in Texas and is currently beginning the certification process for teaching.

How easy will it be for her to get a part time job in Oahu?
It is not hard at all to get a "part time job". But then, the wages, benefits, hours, etc, are a different area for concern. Hawaii is desired by many as a place to live, and employers know this. As a result, many jobs are considered "a dime a dozen" within the employee pool, and employers know that they can underpay and under-benefit their PT employees, and still the next person who comes along will be a willing hire. "I'd do anything to be able to move to Hawaii ... I'd work two jobs.... I'd work for less wages ... my spouse will go to work ... I want to really live in Hawaii!". Employers eyes light up when they hear that, because they know there will be a constant line of eager hires for their unskilled /semi-skilled positions. I think folks are sometimes surprised that their "adult, work experienced" spouse is suddenly in competition for a job with a 20 year old who's previously only held temporary PT employment.

Now, for a skilled position, that is a different story. But, you need to being into the picture perhaps things such as licensing, union membership, experience, references, and something that makes the employer have hope that you'll stick it out for at least a few years.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,356,251 times
When NAVFAC lifts the hiring freeze, the will probably hire elec eng's.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:20 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,260,831 times
After September when the federal hiring freeze is over, hopefully.
The Pearl Harbor ship yard every April has a open house for the apprentice program. Up to 30,000 people apply for consideration for the 4 year program at Honolulu Community college. Something to look into if you have any, children high school Graduates coming to Hawaii. Those approved to the program along with class room instruction, also work at the ship yard learning their trade what ever they are working in ie.. Pipe Fitter, Electrician, Machinist. Just a few of the trades available. You can get the information through Honolulu Community College www.2.honolulu.hawaii.edu/applied Trades
Just some information for you if you need it.
Good luck on the move,
Scott

Last edited by ScottStielow; 08-05-2013 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: Added information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: