Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 02:21 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,021,835 times

Advertisements

So bummed to see on the news tonight most of the White Ducks (and they are huge) have been dying off this past week - they hang out of Keolu Drive sometimes off Enchanted Lake on the chain link fence area and hope it isn't anything sinister - a lot of residents don't like the pigeons in the area and I hope trying to get rid of the pigeons they didn't kill these beautiful birds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 02:44 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,140,564 times
Aren't those regular domestic ducks? Still, they don't let us import ducks into the state anymore, so they should be preserved. If nothing else, get some of the eggs and hatch them if possible. Perhaps you could get another group of them started somewhere else on the island so if something happened to one group, you'd still have them.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:14 AM

892 posts, read 2,398,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
So bummed to see on the news tonight most of the White Ducks (and they are huge) have been dying off this past week - they hang out of Keolu Drive sometimes off Enchanted Lake on the chain link fence area and hope it isn't anything sinister - a lot of residents don't like the pigeons in the area and I hope trying to get rid of the pigeons they didn't kill these beautiful birds.
There is a family of them (plain old regular mainland-looking white ducks) that hangs out over by the Times coffee shop. Every time we've ever been there, we needed to pull slowly into a parking spot while they dispersed. It's sort of a fond memory of the very first time we ever came over to the windward side to explore during one of our "research" trips last year. I don't know if it's the same family, but if not then hopefully there will be more ducks to come even if the Enchanted Lake family loses out to whatever's befallen them?

Old 08-08-2013, 02:06 AM

I think it is a given they've been poisoned - they are still trying to figure out by what

Old 08-08-2013, 01:25 PM

258 posts, read 423,786 times
Quote:
I think it is a given they've been poisoned - they are still trying to figure out by what
That's horrible I suppose there is a chance it's a natural toxin (or maybe that's just last nights shark week planting ideas in my head) but I can't help but suspect a person did it who doesn't like the ducks and if that is the case I hope they are caught!

~Katy

Old 08-08-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post
That's horrible I suppose there is a chance it's a natural toxin (or maybe that's just last nights shark week planting ideas in my head) but I can't help but suspect a person did it who doesn't like the ducks and if that is the case I hope they are caught!

~Katy
Well - odd it would impact only the white ducks - there are a lot of different ducks in Enchanted Lake.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...ucks-in-kailua

Old 08-08-2013, 02:29 PM

258 posts, read 423,786 times
Quote:
Well - odd it would impact only the white ducks - there are a lot of different ducks in Enchanted Lake.

Dead ducks cause stir in Kailua - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Odd either way, whether it be natural or human introduced. How would a human manage to poison JUST the white ducks without some other ducks managing to get into it too?

Have any more been found dead in the past couple days?

~Katy

Old 08-09-2013, 02:39 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,140,564 times
Oh for heaven's sake, did you read the article? There's eight dead ducks and the city and county offices are arguing with the state over who is going to go pick them up. Probably by the time they got it all figured out, some jogger probably cleaned up the mess.

It could have been someone feeding them something they shouldn't have been eating. It could be an accident if it is just a one time occurrence and doesn't happen again. Sometimes ducks sort themselves out into homogeneous groups so it's quite possible someone was feeding the ducks something they shouldn't eat and all the ducks around them were all the same sort. So it could be natural duck grouping instincts instead of someone targeting certain ducks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu