Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 07:03 AM

163 posts, read 316,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I LOVE that video!!!!

I'd like to take a swing at the racism thing.... seems darker skinned people fit in easier here - or draw less attention. I've got a good tan but that doesn't disguise the fact I'm a blue-eyed Caucasian. I've only run into one or two blatantly racist attitudes. And I find it humorous. I want to get a bumper sticker that says "please forgive me I'm just a haole"

Other than that comment you sound much like Klein, who has picked brains here so long we actually forget she's not here yet.
Lol love you too hunterseat!

I have a thread somewhere that was about cable and cell service. I'll look for it in a little bit and get you the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 09:39 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbartist View Post
Take the bus, watch the news or local TV - you can learn how to pronounce words from that

OTWC - our latest bill $155.65 for the Phone, Surf and Watch Pak (just went up from $137.80 after our first year), they promptly got a call when we received the bill. This amount includes the extra charges for: Digital Video Recorder, Internet Modem Lease, Turbo Internet and Voice Mail. We do not have any premium cable channels.
I think you could cut that cost way back if you wanted to reduce the cost. If you can live without cable, get free local over the air TV and add Netflix. You'll need broadband Internet though. You could then get a magic jack phone and a prepaid cellphone. I have a prepaid cellphone that cost $100 a year and the 1,000 minutes lasts about 9 months.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:34 PM

174 posts, read 349,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I think you could cut that cost way back if you wanted to reduce the cost. If you can live without cable, get free local over the air TV and add Netflix. You'll need broadband Internet though. You could then get a magic jack phone and a prepaid cellphone. I have a prepaid cellphone that cost $100 a year and the 1,000 minutes lasts about 9 months.

We certainly could cut our Phone, Surf and Watch Pak - if my hubster wouldget on board! Most everything I like to watch (which isn't much) I canwatch on the internet. My son has Netflix and he is happy withthat. The hubster has what my son calls a "burner" cell phone -I think he pays about $40 per month. What prepaid cellphone do you have? That would be a significant savings just on that. And do you know if he could retain the same phone number if he switched? I know nothing about cell phones and at this point refuse to own one unless we just do away with the landline altogether.

Have to have internet though!

Old 09-07-2013, 01:21 PM

892 posts, read 2,391,833 times
Your choices for broadband are pretty much Hawaiian Telcom and Oceanic (Time Warner) Cable. How each performs is HIGHLY variable based on your street address so all anecdotes should be ignored and you should go with what actually delivers what you want, to your home, for the price you want. There are no "correct" generalizations.

Hawaiian Telcom offers DSL to almost everywhere, the performance of which is dependent on how long the wire is between your jack and the nearest telephone junction (central office). They also offer fiber service, which is very high bandwidth and can optionally also deliver TV over IP, but you have to check to see if your street has the infrastructure yet (my street got strung, literally, last week). Oceanic offers traditional cable modem service and cable television packages, and your data performance is totally dependent on what the other people on your shared circuit are doing.

Finally, no matter how you get your connectivity, strongly consider Netflix and/or Amazon Prime. Also bear in mind that due to some short-sighted politically corrupt decisions a few decades ago most of the island does NOT receive HDTV over the air, even with a nice antenna. You pretty much have to be line-of-sight somewhere near Honolulu, the entire windward side and North Shore and most of the remote leeward side are just out of luck now (post digital transition).

All that having been said, our family has never had cable in our lives and couldn't care less about television. Media is what the Internet is for, and people who pay hundreds of dollars to watch sports you can see at a bar for free amaze me.

Have you considered eliminating your landline altogether? You don't need a cell phone to do that. The very idea of paying per-minute for "long distance" (what's that, it's totally made up!) or adding tons of silly taxes that date back to the Spanish American war to a bill seems insane in the 21st century. Just use a VOIP service (some are free, some are cheap, NONE charge per minute) to make all your calls if you don't want to have a mobile.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:54 PM

152 posts, read 371,934 times
Quote:
... And do you know if he could retain the same phone number if he switched? I know nothing about cell phones and at this point refuse to own one unless we just do away with the landline altogether.

Perhaps check consumer cellular which AARP endorses, as they have very low cell plans, min&text combo.
Choose a low cost phone initially from $35 or $80 with QWERTY keyboards for texting, and if mins need adding, up the plan, $15 and up a month.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:37 AM

7 posts, read 9,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruddah View Post
Are you moving around the Ewa Beach area? Holomua is another school that is rated B+ on that chart. As far as sharks. There was a shark attack at White Plains (Barbers Point) last month. I've heard Onuela is pretty sharky too. There was a shark sighting in one of the Ko'olina lagoons a few months ago. Don't let that stop you from going in the ocean. Just swim by a crowd and if a shark comes up you have a better chance of them biting someone else than you. j/k
I am just sitting here laughing because you bring up all these shark stuff. lol. I like you. You are funny.

Ewa...yea. I just don't see a lot of offerings that fit into what we need anywhere else. But we are being open minded and will still look around. I will definitely look into the school you mentioned, Holomua.

Thank you very much!

Old 09-08-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Take the bus, watch the news or local TV - you can learn how to pronounce words from that

OTWC - our latest bill $155.65 for the Phone, Surf and Watch Pak (just went up from $137.80 after our first year), they promptly got a call when we received the bill. This amount includes the extra charges for: Digital Video Recorder, Internet Modem Lease, Turbo Internet and Voice Mail. We do not have any premium cable channels.
Well that at least gives me a starting point as to how much it will cost us for access to the interwebs and such. As for how to pronounce things, I suppose you do learn it as you go. I am pretty good at picking up how things are to be pronounced. My real issue is remembering what a particular word means. That will be my real challenge I suppose.

Timewarner did that to us as well. Extra charges for things, one, didn't ask for, and two, were not using. I really hope everything works out!

Anyways, thanks.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I LOVE that video!!!!

I'd like to take a swing at the racism thing.... seems darker skinned people fit in easier here - or draw less attention. I've got a good tan but that doesn't disguise the fact I'm a blue-eyed Caucasian. I've only run into one or two blatantly racist attitudes. And I find it humorous. I want to get a bumper sticker that says "please forgive me I'm just a haole"

Other than that comment you sound much like Klein, who has picked brains here so long we actually forget she's not here yet.
I am all about drawing less attention, but I have a (completely lovable) big white dude for a husband. Who is tall, a little over a foot taller than me.

He is over there in Waikiki right now. Miss him a lot. But he is trying to get something so we can follow. Anyways, he does not have a hat or sunglasses or sunscreen. I mean he burns, aren't the burns that crack and peel. His Italian olive skin browns it, but before it does he is lobster red. lol.

Who is Klein?

Old 09-08-2013, 11:14 AM

152 posts, read 371,934 times
TWC last location, charged a monthly "modem lease" fee. I always laughed and asked them if "lease" of the fiber optics, wall connectors outlets, and later associated "service" maintenance processes were next. Too, the landlords in buildings and homes may " lease" door locks on residences next. Restaurants: ask extra for knives, forks, and spoons or may we just eat with our fingers and wipe hands on the tablecloth for free? Thirsty? go drink from the bar tap and cheaper than a glass? lol.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:45 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKfine View Post
TWC last location, charged a monthly "modem lease" fee. I always laughed and asked them if "lease" of the fiber optics, wall connectors outlets, and later associated "service" maintenance processes were next. Too, the landlords in buildings and homes may " lease" door locks on residences next. Restaurants: ask extra for knives, forks, and spoons or may we just eat with our fingers and wipe hands on the tablecloth for free? Thirsty? go drink from the bar tap and cheaper than a glass? lol.
There is nothing that prevents you from buying your own cable (or dsl) modem, as long as that modem is within their standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: