Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 PM

7 posts, read 9,531 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Moving to Oahu with my family. Me, my husband, our son and beagle. My husband is already there looking for a job and considering that he has just arrived there yesterday, and has two bites already, I think things are on the up and up.

I already have an idea as to the cost of living in terms as to what I should expect for 2/3 bdrm apartments, and utilities i.e. water, gas & electricity. Food and gas prices.

But there are some things if, you, of this wonderful forum -could help me by addressing some of my questions, concerns, and any insight you would like to share.

Warning. I worry a lot, as you will soon see. So here it goes:

**Schools, Neighborhoods, and Renting

How concerned should I be about the public school system for a 1st Grader. I heard that the schools weren't the greatest. I was given this chart for reference:

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/HM_M...GuideChart.pdf

Private school is out of the question. I can't pay the tuition these schools are asking for. And I am not sure if I am up to the task of Homeschooling. Right now he is in a fabulous Public elementary school. Reading very well, has no problem adding and subtracting up to 30. Writing complex sentences. Being in the district of this school was entirely by accident since we live with our in laws, and the school map is so small and just in a residential area with established families/ Meaning it is very hard to get into. We were accidentally very lucky.

I am finding that Craigslist is the only major source for ads of rental units and I know I will not have much control as to what school map he falls into due to our budget.

The only place I know I'm guaranteed to be in a map for a decent school is Iroquois Elementary (has a B+ on that chart) by Ewa Beach in the Gated community of Carmel: The Waterfront at Puuloa. Have no idea why this school is in a gated community...and I know it was a part of a base. But still, just interesting and must be inconvenient for the local community. And I don't see much luck in finding a place outside the community within that school map.

But is the school worth living in this place? I am not sure. I heard there are bait and switch tactics of hiking the reasonable monthly rent, hundreds of dollars when you go to renew your lease. Rent going up when you renew your lease is common practice, but it seems the up it so much that it is ridiculous, and I don't feel like having to move in just a year's time. We will be living in Hawaii for five years minimum. Though I am hoping for it to be permanent. Anyways, there are other things the reviewers complained about in concern to the management and policies: rudeness, indifference...things along this line.

Is it really as bad, or say, with parent involvement he can be successful anywhere we find a place to live? Are there neighborhoods we should not consider?

**Cable & Internet

Curious as to how much Cable, Internet, or a bundled deal for both -costs per month.

What are the main providers on the Island? Verizon i.e. Fios, Time Warner, Comcast, etc.

**Sharks

I have a stupid fear of sharks thanks to an uncle who had me watch Jaws at the tender age of 4 or 5. I know the statistics say I shouldn't worry, but if you guys could ease my mind, that would be great.

**Radiation

In light of the new information coming out about the Fukushima Nuclear plant: is the State of Hawaii issuing any information that the public can review? How concerned are you as a resident. Any links to pages containing this information?

**Racism

Heard that there is a level of racism. Considering the fact that I am multiracial (Black and Venezuelan) I personally have dealt with a lot of this all my life. So it wouldn't be anything new. However, my husband is Caucasian. Is it really that bad? Like, will it affect his ability to secure employment?

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

That is it for now.

Thank you.

Thanks for bearing with me. Hope to hear from all of you. Take care!

Regards,

-P_L

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 02:50 PM

258 posts, read 424,269 times
I can't give info on much of that yet as I don't live there yet but I have 2 comments for you.

For one, personally I wouldn't worry much about 1st grade especially since your son sounds like a bright kid. But you may be more concerned as he gets older, his being able to access quality education in some form will become more important. Since you said you plan to be there at least 5 years, and don't want to move often, you will either want to be OK with the educational situation wherever you end up or will want a plan to be able to afford living where a better middle school is or can afford private school.

As far as sharks, well, I worry about that, too, but not too much. I have a friend on Oahu that dives for shells fequently, and she had at least one shark encounter this summer. Granted, she is out in the water often, and is probably further out and deeper than your typical 'lay out on the beach and jump in at the shore for a little while' type. Also, the shark as far as I am aware showed no interest in her. She saw it and swam away from it and that was that. With all of the people in the water at Hawaii's beaches between tourists and locals, people swimming, people surfing and doing other water sports, we'd hear about if there was anything to really be worried about.

~Katy

Old 09-06-2013, 04:35 PM

48,716 posts, read 35,244,274 times
There is some racism directed at Caucasians, but honestly it is MOST directed at attitude that is considered rude. Hawaii is very laid back and has a strong Asian influence in it's mentality. Any Type A attitudes, rude driving, and those who are not open to other cultures don't usually do well here.

I am a victim of Jaws at an early age..... primarily I go in the water at Waikiki and Ala Moana. Did a caged shark dive, so I KNOW they are out there. Sorry.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-06-2013, 06:22 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,833,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro_Lily View Post
**Sharks

I have a stupid fear of sharks thanks to an uncle who had me watch Jaws at the tender age of 4 or 5. I know the statistics say I shouldn't worry, but if you guys could ease my mind, that would be great.
Sharks in Hawaii? Maybe. Check out this You Tube video.

Man Fights Shark For Tuna Off Coast Of Hawaii - YouTube

Old 09-06-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post
I can't give info on much of that yet as I don't live there yet but I have 2 comments for you.

For one, personally I wouldn't worry much about 1st grade especially since your son sounds like a bright kid. But you may be more concerned as he gets older, his being able to access quality education in some form will become more important. Since you said you plan to be there at least 5 years, and don't want to move often, you will either want to be OK with the educational situation wherever you end up or will want a plan to be able to afford living where a better middle school is or can afford private school.

As far as sharks, well, I worry about that, too, but not too much. I have a friend on Oahu that dives for shells fequently, and she had at least one shark encounter this summer. Granted, she is out in the water often, and is probably further out and deeper than your typical 'lay out on the beach and jump in at the shore for a little while' type. Also, the shark as far as I am aware showed no interest in her. She saw it and swam away from it and that was that. With all of the people in the water at Hawaii's beaches between tourists and locals, people swimming, people surfing and doing other water sports, we'd hear about if there was anything to really be worried about.

~Katy
Hi Katy!

You know, I think we can be successful during his elementary school years, and if things aren't so great, start looking into other areas with better middle schools. Thank for the suggestion!

Old 09-06-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
There is some racism directed at Caucasians, but honestly it is MOST directed at attitude that is considered rude. Hawaii is very laid back and has a strong Asian influence in it's mentality. Any Type A attitudes, rude driving, and those who are not open to other cultures don't usually do well here.

I am a victim of Jaws at an early age..... primarily I go in the water at Waikiki and Ala Moana. Did a caged shark dive, so I KNOW they are out there. Sorry.
Well that makes me feel better. Are family is very culturally diverse, so we have a great appreciation for others. And my husband is super sweet guy, and actually has a degree in Asian Studies and wants to pursue his Masters. I guess that will help out too.

As for the native culture of Hawaii, I don't know how best to phrase that...what is the one thing I should know 'not' to do? I lived in Egypt and our guide for settling in stressed a couple things like not doing and inverted middle finger, shaking with your left hand, and showing the bottom of your feet. So when you cross legs, not to rest your feet on the other knee.

Also, is their a site where we can learn how to correctly pronounce things? That would be very helpful too.

Thanks again for the response! I really appreciate it!

Old 09-06-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Sharks in Hawaii? Maybe. Check out this You Tube video.

Man Fights Shark For Tuna Off Coast Of Hawaii - YouTube
Oh man. lol. Thanks for the video. That must have an exciting day for that guy!

Old 09-06-2013, 09:24 PM

170 posts, read 294,093 times
Are you moving around the Ewa Beach area? Holomua is another school that is rated B+ on that chart. As far as sharks. There was a shark attack at White Plains (Barbers Point) last month. I've heard Onuela is pretty sharky too. There was a shark sighting in one of the Ko'olina lagoons a few months ago. Don't let that stop you from going in the ocean. Just swim by a crowd and if a shark comes up you have a better chance of them biting someone else than you. j/k

Old 09-06-2013, 09:49 PM

174 posts, read 350,711 times
Take the bus, watch the news or local TV - you can learn how to pronounce words from that

OTWC - our latest bill $155.65 for the Phone, Surf and Watch Pak (just went up from $137.80 after our first year), they promptly got a call when we received the bill. This amount includes the extra charges for: Digital Video Recorder, Internet Modem Lease, Turbo Internet and Voice Mail. We do not have any premium cable channels.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:35 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,430,675 times
I LOVE that video!!!!

I'd like to take a swing at the racism thing.... seems darker skinned people fit in easier here - or draw less attention. I've got a good tan but that doesn't disguise the fact I'm a blue-eyed Caucasian. I've only run into one or two blatantly racist attitudes. And I find it humorous. I want to get a bumper sticker that says "please forgive me I'm just a haole"

Other than that comment you sound much like Klein, who has picked brains here so long we actually forget she's not here yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: