Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:57 PM

174 posts, read 349,222 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any recommendations for a Chinese food buffet (not necessarily with a lot of seafood choices)? - Yelp reviews are all over the place. Trying to find a place to have dinner on Christmas Eve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 11:28 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,750 times
I know a good Japanese and Seafood Buffet in Aiea, Makino Chaya. It's not true chinese, and I'm not sure if they are open for Christmas Eve, or if you can still get reservations....but this place is pretty phenomenal.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:31 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
I'm a Thai food fanatic myself, but I do recall going a couple of times to this joint that was downtown, I believe you got to it down a narrow walkway next to a large office building, okay - I can't look it up right now, but the name is either Jan Bo, Jen Bo or Jun Bo. The buffet was plentiful and it was quite full of patrons. I think it's Jun Bo, anyway its off of Queen Street. Good Food though.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:53 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
I think it's Jun Bo, anyway its off of Queen Street. Good Food though.
Dis mus be de place... Jun Bo Chinese Restaurant, 126 Queen St, Ste 110, Honolulu, HI 96813

Jun Bo Chinese Restaurant - Downtown - Honolulu, HI

Old 12-20-2013, 06:06 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
They are likely sold out - but the Hawaii Prince Hotel does great buffets (not just at Xmas)

Here is Xmas Eve below - and at $59 per person very reasonably priced.

http://www.princeresortshawaii.com/p...uffet-2013.pdf

Enjoy a dashing dinner buffet on Christmas Eve from 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm. Start your meal off with appetizing menu choices including Snow Crab Legs, Shrimp Cocktail, Oysters & Mussels on the Half Shell, Fresh Sashimi Platter, Prince Court's Clam Chowder, and a Soba Station with Condiments. Indulge in an exquisite selection of seafood such as Shrimp and Scallop Scampi, Steamed King Crab Legs, and Baked Oysters Rockefeller. The Chef's Hot Selections feature Roasted Chicken with Hamakua Mushroom and Boursin Cheese Sauce, Steamed Mahi Mahi "Chinatown Style" with Hot Peanut Oil, Soy and Ginger, and Hoisin-Glazed Roast Pork Loin with Baby Bok Choy. The buffet will also offer a Chinese Style Roast Pork & Kalua Pig Station with Hoisin & Plum Sauce and Bao Bun, a Baked Turkey Breast Carving Station with Cranberry and Giblet Gravy, Prime Rib with Au Jus and Creamy Horseradish, and Prince Court Dessert Specials.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:08 PM

174 posts, read 349,222 times
I found Jun Bo, thank you. It is close to my work.

Continued my search today. A lot of Chinese places here offer way more seafood choices, which I don't want to pay for in a buffet, since we won't eat it. Another buffet / seafood place in Waikiki was $45 pp, that would be a lot of money for three of us, plus I checked out their menu and some of the items I have no clue of what it might be Ü

Emailed my hubby and asked him the name of the place we usually order Chinese take-out from, called them and they are open on Christmas Eve. Told hubby that we can just eat-in at the restaurant, and keep ordering off the menu until we are stuffed. Way cheaper that $45 pp. Then take home the leftovers!

Miss the buffet place we used to go to on Christmas Eve in DuPont, Washington - they did have seafood / sushi options, but they had a lot of other choices as well.

Thank you all for your help.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Dis mus be de place... Jun Bo Chinese Restaurant, 126 Queen St, Ste 110, Honolulu, HI 96813

Jun Bo Chinese Restaurant - Downtown - Honolulu, HI
Yep, Yep, Yep this is the place. I'm glad it's still there! Good Eats!!

Old 12-21-2013, 01:41 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbartist View Post
Emailed my hubby and asked him the name of the place we usually order Chinese take-out from, called them and they are open on Christmas Eve. Told hubby that we can just eat-in at the restaurant, and keep ordering off the menu until we are stuffed. Way cheaper that $45 pp. Then take home the leftovers!
Glad you found something that you're happy with. Mele Kalikimaka!

Quote:
A lot of Chinese places here offer way more seafood choices, which I don't want to pay for in a buffet, since we won't eat it.
OK, now that's settled, I have to say, my curiosity is killing me... why won't you eat seafood, since our seafood in Hawai'i is second to none? I've been scratching my head over this one all day.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:28 PM

160 posts, read 287,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
....Steamed Mahi Mahi "Chinatown Style" with Hot Peanut Oil, Soy and Ginger...
...mmmmmmmm....NOW we're talking!

Old 12-21-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
They are likely sold out - but the Hawaii Prince Hotel does great buffets (not just at Xmas)

Here is Xmas Eve below - and at $59 per person very reasonably priced.

http://www.princeresortshawaii.com/p...uffet-2013.pdf

Enjoy a dashing dinner buffet on Christmas Eve from 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm. Start your meal off with appetizing menu choices including Snow Crab Legs, Shrimp Cocktail, Oysters & Mussels on the Half Shell, Fresh Sashimi Platter, Prince Court's Clam Chowder, and a Soba Station with Condiments. Indulge in an exquisite selection of seafood such as Shrimp and Scallop Scampi, Steamed King Crab Legs, and Baked Oysters Rockefeller. The Chef's Hot Selections feature Roasted Chicken with Hamakua Mushroom and Boursin Cheese Sauce, Steamed Mahi Mahi "Chinatown Style" with Hot Peanut Oil, Soy and Ginger, and Hoisin-Glazed Roast Pork Loin with Baby Bok Choy. The buffet will also offer a Chinese Style Roast Pork & Kalua Pig Station with Hoisin & Plum Sauce and Bao Bun, a Baked Turkey Breast Carving Station with Cranberry and Giblet Gravy, Prime Rib with Au Jus and Creamy Horseradish, and Prince Court Dessert Specials.
I've been to this a couple of times with my "Girls" on our monthly dinner get togethers. It is quite Delish - almost too many choices!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu