Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 10:42 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,765,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Exactly. The reality is in between, not the extremes.
Well i believe in balance also so whats the problem? Do you believe Hawaii nei today is in balance?

Look its not my intention to step on anyones toes or to be a bigshot, i would rather quit posting then do that because that defeats the purpose of sharing the love of culture and hawaii. Forgive me if i come across that way thats not my spirit of intent.

Further Mikala your special and important too. You keep this pupule mess running on your volenteer power. Mahalo.

PS: Or are you saying i have Portagee mouth? Lmao!

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 03-25-2015 at 11:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 01:54 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
Quote:
The majority of population is getting what it wants
YES!

Quote:
What I don't get, is why you have such strong opinions about someone else's state. In general, states get what their populations want... the majority of them... thus the whole democracy thing.

I have never once commented on someone else's state or city, and told them how I thought it should be run. I honestly have no opinions on it. That includes where I was born, and where I was raised through my teen years. And I visit every year.
Totally agree. I grew up in Chicago (over 20 years), lived in San Francisco (15 years, still own property - and SF makes HNL seem cheap) - and I respect how those cities evolve, I've never posted in a city I don't live because anything I say is out of date or not relevant - I'd have to resort to outdated Youtube videos to try to make a point.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. (Spock)

To me, if a person was really passionate about a place - they'd at least visit or live in that place and not want to impost on people who actually live at that place.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:05 AM

^^^^^^

See this is what baffles me, we appear to have a group on here that whtviper1 is involved in that claims on one hand that hawaii is no different then the mainland in any way but is the first to try to exclude, censer and intimidate others that don't share his or this groups pro growth or money point of view. In my book if hawaii is no different then the mainland in any way then it shouldn't matter where someone lives to be correct because any mainlander would know what life is like in Hawaii.

If Hawaii is an unique place knowledge limited to just those who live there then ok? Why is it that some in this group don't know the difference between a resident or transplant from a local? Or believes people don't speak pidgin and or has no respect for traditions that go back generations? I suspect that non of the above really matters, but the ideal that money makes right or better. the classism ideals that our tutus and there tutus generations have fought against so hard on the islands generations ago.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:42 AM

What is funnier is i love to use youtube, i use it because if find in alot of ways its simpler to use youtube to express what it is im trying to say or easier then typing 2 pages of type since im not a good writter. But more importantly it proves that my point of view or ideals are not just mine. Also that others from Hawaii outside of CDF Hawaii feel the same way. What is baffling me, why is this threatening in anyway? Any true picture of life in Hawaii would include every aspect of life from the mainland transplant point of view to the locals. The problem i suspect is that some are not just listening but wrapped up in the competition of winning(we win you lose mentality all the time that is capitalistic and haole sorry) What question i pose for people isnt exclusion but inclusion. The question i pose to people is if every culture is part of the melting pot of local hawaii (including capitalistic mainland culture) and in balance with each other then why the social ills of unbalance in Hawaii?

Old 03-26-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
YES!

Totally agree. I grew up in Chicago (over 20 years), lived in San Francisco (15 years, still own property - and SF makes HNL seem cheap) - and I respect how those cities evolve, I've never posted in a city I don't live because anything I say is out of date or not relevant - I'd have to resort to outdated Youtube videos to try to make a point.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. (Spock)

To me, if a person was really passionate about a place - they'd at least visit or live in that place and not want to impost on people who actually live at that place.
Very limited in view whtviper1. Can passion be expressed in non traditional ways? Maybe being part of keeping Hawaii culture alive by learning olelo hawaiian and hula or being involved in preserving and restoring historical places in honolulu? Or being involved in local honolulu non profit causes good enough? Question beside your job and being a consumer what do you do? Your out of touch, the needs

Old 03-26-2015, 06:58 AM

Of few in Hawaii outweigh the needs of most.

Mod cut: off topic

Last edited by Mikala43; 03-26-2015 at 08:50 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 08:52 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
What is funnier is i love to use youtube, i use it because if find in alot of ways its simpler to use youtube to express what it is im trying to say or easier then typing 2 pages of type since im not a good writter. But more importantly it proves that my point of view or ideals are not just mine. Also that others from Hawaii outside of CDF Hawaii feel the same way. What is baffling me, why is this threatening in anyway? Any true picture of life in Hawaii would include every aspect of life from the mainland transplant point of view to the locals. The problem i suspect is that some are not just listening but wrapped up in the competition of winning(we win you lose mentality all the time that is capitalistic and haole sorry) What question i pose for people isnt exclusion but inclusion. The question i pose to people is if every culture is part of the melting pot of local hawaii (including capitalistic mainland culture) and in balance with each other then why the social ills of unbalance in Hawaii?
Why all the social ills of Chicago, Seattle, Portland, New York......... ?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-26-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Why all the social ills of Chicago, Seattle, Portland, New York......... ?
Exactly, for example you may know that drinking causes liver damage and cancer but continuing to drink after a doctor says its causing cancer and liver damage in you and you could die is crazy yes? Apply this ideal to the social issues in our society.

I promise you that we in the world have the resources to solve homelessness, hunger, injustic etc etc tomorrow if we wantted to. But intil its not more profitable to keep the things the way they are nothing will change.

Ps: Please feel free to edit this thread from the last few days and edit the rest of the stuff thats not on topic etc. Mahalo

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 03-26-2015 at 09:38 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 12:17 AM

1,268 posts, read 800,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Hawaii is unique in many ways, but you will find most places on the mainland are unique. You seem to sell it short very often. There are a bevy of cultures and experiences on the mainland. You live on the mainland, so you should understand the diversity. Try bragging about your new Mercedes in Appalachia, or go to remote parts of Louisiana in your business suit and try to sell a widget. America is a blending of cultures.

You are struggling with progress. The South and Appalachia were very different places twenty, thirty, and forty years ago. Change is a part of life, and cultures have a way of adapting to suit the new norms. It's never totally lost--just different. To get respect, you must give it. Transplants will have a culture that they introduce to Hawaii, and it is as valid as yours. Hawaii has a wonderful culture theoretically (in practice, like all others, it has issues), but it can't remain untouched from the influences of those who relocate or visit the state. America has no restriction on where a citizen can reside. No one is trying to win some culture war--they are simply living to their own cultural values.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:41 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
hawaii is unique in many ways, but you will find most places on the mainland are unique. You seem to sell it short very often. There are a bevy of cultures and experiences on the mainland. You live on the mainland, so you should understand the diversity.

You are struggling with progress. The south and appalachia were very different places twenty, thirty, and forty years ago. Change is a part of life, and cultures have a way of adapting to suit the new norms. It's never totally lost--just different. To get respect, you must give it. Transplants will have a culture that they introduce to hawaii, and it is as valid as yours. Hawaii has a wonderful culture theoretically (in practice, like all others, it has issues), but it can't remain untouched from the influences of those who relocate or visit the state. America has no restriction on where a citizen can reside. No one is trying to win some culture war--they are simply living to their own cultural values.
exactly!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu