Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:23 PM

19 posts, read 33,355 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

I've wanted to move from Utah to Hawaii for quite a while, and after visiting for the first time last month, I decided it's a pretty good time in my life to make it happen; I'm young, single, and in good shape financially. I "know" (that is to say, I've read a lot of articles and opinions) what I'm getting into with the traffic, 180% cost of living, moving expenses, island fever, etc.

My questions are for anyone on here who knows anything about the AEC industry on O'ahu. I'm a BIM manager and senior drafter at a smaller architecture firm in Utah (and feel quite overqualified there). Are jobs like this easy or hard to find? Where is the best place to look for job listings? What is the pay range for a position like this? How open are firms to hiring from the mainland, and what are some factors that effect that (i.e. availability to interview in-person, ability to tele-commute during move process, etc)?

I'd really appreciate any helpful information you may have, even if it's not about my specific career field.

Mahalo,
Kyle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 01:57 AM

3 posts, read 3,186 times
apply at the bigger corporate companies and they will relocate you if qualified. Check the big companies websites to apply for jobs as well as search engines (indeed, simplyhired, etc) that will grab from company websites. I work in the industry and it seems people are constantly hiring.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:22 PM

Do you know of any such firms with offices in Honolulu? The only one I know of in Utah is HKS, but they don't have a Hawaiian office. I imagine that I'd probably have to look at west coast firms if I want to transfer to Hawaii, but I'm not familiar with who's who there.

I've checked out those jobs sites; I'll continue to keep an eye on them.

Mahalo!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times
I don't think anyone is going to transfer an architect to Hawaii. Sorry.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:51 PM

What's your reasoning?

Old 02-19-2014, 11:07 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,259,795 times
Default Honolulu Architecture/Engineering Industry

The Pearl Harbor Naval Ship is the only Industry on Oahu. They are always recruiting Engineers and Architects. In fact my boss is a Architect. Check on USAJOBS www.usajobs.gov/‎%20USAJobs
If you are interested.
Best of luck in your search.
Scott

Old 02-20-2014, 06:25 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
I worked for a large international engineering firm in Honolulu, and I had never heard of a BIM.

They would pay for the moving of high level engineers but that was about it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-27-2014, 09:59 PM

Well, I got a job offer way sooner than expected. I've got some serious number-crunching to do to make sure it'll work.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:23 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,259,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowen1208 View Post
Well, I got a job offer way sooner than expected. I've got some serious number-crunching to do to make sure it'll work.
Congratulations on the job offer. Hope it works out for you.
If its not too Personnel. What is the name of the company. Maybe someone can give you some more information, that might help on your decision.
Scott

PS. Just checked you first post. Is that the company you were posting about?

Old 02-28-2014, 10:59 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,283 times
Congrats! And have fun with the bean counting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: