Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,026,121 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, I'm surprised so many of you think Papaya will grow in Makakilo.

Unless you are doing some heavy duty watering (which isn't cheap), it isn't going to happen. You can literally go months with no rain in that area and Papaya require 40 to 60 inches of rain annually to grow optimally - or about 4 inches of rain per month. Even in the "wet" season, it doesn't rain that much.

Papaya General Information

This site suggests 4 inches per month minimum....

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/F_N-3.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 12:29 AM

5,637 posts, read 6,538,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hmmm, I'm surprised so many of you think Papaya will grow in Makakilo.

Unless you are doing some heavy duty watering (which isn't cheap), it isn't going to happen. You can literally go months with no rain in that area and Papaya require 40 to 60 inches of rain annually to grow optimally - or about 4 inches of rain per month. Even in the "wet" season, it doesn't rain that much.

Papaya General Information

This site suggests 4 inches per month minimum....

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/F_N-3.pdf

Papaya trees can grow in Makakilo or just about anywhere else on Oahu without irrigation. That's all the OP asked. Watering a few papaya trees isn't going to break the bank, it's the sewage fees that are especially high.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Papaya trees can grow in Makakilo or just about anywhere else on Oahu without irrigation. That's all the OP asked. Watering a few papaya trees isn't going to break the bank, it's the sewage fees that are especially high.
Since you seem to be an expert on Papaya despite the fact they require 4 inches of rain per month for optimal growing (in an area that doesn't get that much rain in the rainy season), perhaps you can share a google street view or google map of them growing in that desert like area - I took a look, and saw none.

Although if you meant grow, and not bear fruit, perhaps clarify. I've at least provided material they don't normally grow in that kind of area, at least you could do the same.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:41 AM

The OP asked if IRRIGATION is REQUIRED to grow papaya trees in Makakilo.

The OP's question (from post #1) verbatim: "Do things like papaya trees grow in your backyard without irrigation?"

The ANSWER is YES! Any man or woman can water their papaya trees in any DRY district on Oahu if their PAPAYA trees need it. Fruit will bear. BTW, Google Maps don't have DETAILED maps of backyards

Old 03-19-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Google Maps don't have DETAILED maps of backyards
Really? Maybe you should try the Satellite View.

Papayas don't grow well in the desert. And you'll go broke watering them.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Really? Maybe you should try the Satellite View.

Papayas don't grow well in the desert. And you'll go broke watering them.
The OP asked if papaya trees REQUIRE irrigation in Makakilo, the answer is NO. Folks in Makakilo CAN water their own papaya trees and other things. Any satellite view doesn't prove papaya trees require irrigation to bear fruit in Makakilo. Who knows who has irrigation systems or waters their grounds in Makakilo.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:40 AM

Quote:
The OP asked if papaya trees REQUIRE irrigation in Makakilo, the answer is NO. Folks in Makakilo CAN water their own papaya trees and other things.
Really?

Weekend Update: Michael Vick, Really!?! | Saturday Night Live - Yahoo Screen

Old 03-19-2014, 03:41 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,597,821 times
Viper, what is it with you and papayas????? Some kind of tragic episode in the family tree?

Well, when I was a young boy, I fell asleep under this giant papaya tree in my grandfathers back yard....................................

Uuuurrrrpppppp................. e kala mai i'au

Old 03-19-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Viper, what is it with you and papayas?????
Just stating the obvious - they need abundant rain to grow. You don't grow them in desert like areas.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:05 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,792,714 times
Quote:
Just stating the obvious - they need abundant rain to grow. You don't grow them in desert like areas.
I believe i finally figured you out whtviper1. Your an egghead huh? Maybe a computer programer. Your black and white, mr spock logic gives it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu