Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 06:33 PM

8 posts, read 25,787 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience driving a Prius on Oahu? I will be relocating to Oahu, in a couple of months. I have a 2012 Prius IV and I am wondering what kind of gas mileage I will get. The last year I've been doing mainly city driving and the mileage is horrible, approximately 39 mpg. When I lived in a rural area I was getting 48 mpg. I am wondering if my Oahu mileage won't be much better than what I'm getting now.

Also, I've heard that XM and Entune isn't available on Oahu, true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 06:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzEve View Post
Does anyone have experience driving a Prius on Oahu? I will be relocating to Oahu, in a couple of months. I have a 2012 Prius IV and I am wondering what kind of gas mileage I will get. The last year I've been doing mainly city driving and the mileage is horrible, approximately 39 mpg. When I lived in a rural area I was getting 48 mpg. I am wondering if my Oahu mileage won't be much better than what I'm getting now.

Also, I've heard that XM and Entune isn't available on Oahu, true?
Although I don't have a Prius (and they are very common here), I do have a Lexus ES300 hybrid - essentially a bigger car with more batteries.

My estimated gas mileage on the sticker is 40 MPG (city and highway). I get better than that on flat roads and closer to 35MPG across hilly terain - batteries do best in warmer climate, so I would imagine if you drive on the flatter roads you'll get close or better than the estimated MPG Prius states.

No satellite radio in Hawaii. Entune doesn't work in Hawaii either.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:21 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
Years ago we had a Honda Civic. That thing religiously got 35 mpg no matter what it was doing. Even pulling a trailer (we had to custom make a trailer hitch for it since we couldn't find a pre-manufactured one) it still got 35 mpg. Haven't a clue why things haven't improved tons since then, this was an eighties Honda. You'd think by now, there'd be a small car that would routinely get 75 mpg. Oh well, now we have electric and solar power, I guess.

Most traffic on Oahu is the stop and go or the stop and sit type, so I doubt you'd get any "highway" type mileage. Best way to get good gas mileage on Oahu is to live as absolutely close to work as possible and walk to work, IMHO. Or catch a bus if possible. With driving a car, you not only have to get where you're going but then find a place to leave the car as well.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:30 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,170 times
Prius owners tend to drive so slow, that it irritates everyone else.... Just my opinion.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:51 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Prius owners tend to drive so slow.
Interesting. I tend to notice that also. I think they are underpowered. They definitely don't keep up with me on the H3 everyday.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:01 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,032 times
My cars always got slightly better mileage on Oahu than they do in Seattle, but I think part of that is down to the fact traffic is a lot less congested there overall (feel like I'll open Pandora's Box there, but it can be bumper-to-bumper from Everett to Tacoma, although traffic IN Honolulu is worse than IN Seattle) and you never have sub-freezing winter mornings like we do in the northern parts of the country. Could also be related to additional wear-and-tear on them now vs. then.

BTW, all those Prius owners driving slow must be transplants from Seattle....60mph speed limit=Prius in the fast lane doing 45mph; 70mph speed limit=Prius in the fast lane doing 50mph. I guess pretty much everyone drives like that here, though.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,464 times
I moved here in December and I've been getting terrible mileage on my 2010 Prius. In AZ, I was averaging around 49 mpg and in Honolulu I only get 43-44 mpg. My auxiliary battery died three weeks after I got here, too. Apparently, that is a common problem with the Prius when it's shipped by boat.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:31 PM

74 posts, read 333,788 times
My 2006 gets about 51 MPG using 195/60/15 tires (aftermarket tires, wider than the stock ones. With the stock tires I got up to about 54-55 MPG.) This is if I'm not using the A/C consistently and with driver only, no passenger. Using the A/C and driver only, about 47 MPG. With 1 passenger, mileage drops about 1-2 MPG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu