Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 11:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,805 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to live at the Turtle Bay condos in Kahuku (north shore, oahu) for $800 per month plus utilities. Want to know if anyone thinks that is a good price. Also, I am attempting to find a job in sales and have over 30 years of apparel sales (Ocean Pacific, Lightning Bolt, etc.) as well as sales and marketing in the golf, healthcare, and telecom industries. I am 69 years old, hard worker and a life long surfer and want very much to finally live my dream, but I am under no illusions as to how tough it is going to be trying to find a job there in advance of arriving. I also was a golf instructor at the Arnold Palmer Golf Academy in Florida. Does anyone know of any opportunities for a person such as me. Also, if I were to get a job in Honolulu, what is the difficulty of getting to work on time if I am living on the North Shore. Hope to hear from you guys. Mod cut: no personal information

Last edited by Mikala43; 03-29-2014 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 10:06 PM

181 posts, read 273,957 times
What part of "Heck yeah!" didn't you already have figured out? Only $800 per month plus? I wish I'd be able to find a deal like that when I'm ready to jump!

You're not going to find a job until you have a local address, so be ready to spend at least three months out of work.

Traffic to the Stinky Side from Windward is about like traffic from Orange County to Los Angeles. Get on the road at the right time and you're half an hour away, but get on the road 15 minutes later and you'll be an hour and a half. But it's not like the Windward offers no opportunities. Get there and start looking.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:24 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,336 times
Thats Defiantly a great price for rent. If you don't mind the drive into town. Would be a great place to live. You do have to leave early going into town in the am. Check into Hawaii jobs on demand. Might give you someone information.
Hawaii Jobs & Employment | Search for Jobs | HawaiiJobsOnDemand.com.

Lots of golf courses all of Oahu. Also Turtle bay has a pro golf course.
Best of luck in your search.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:34 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,275,456 times
That price sounds too low. Did you find it on Craig's List? Is it sight unseen? If it's sight unseen, don't go through with it till you can inspect it in person. Worse yet, it could be a scammer who is trying to simply steal you deposit and your identity by offering a deal that is too good to be true.

You're 69 and still have to work? Or, do you just want to work? If you have to continue working at 69 years old for financial reasons, then you can't afford to live in Hawaii. Furthermore, you can't afford to lose any money from a Craig's List scammer.

Maybe you've found a great deal that you've already inspected in person. You might want to work at 69 years old to keep busy, rather than working because you have to at that age to survive. More information is needed to determine if you can actually afford to live in Hawaii.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:54 AM

3 posts, read 4,805 times
Default North Shore Living

I have an opportunity to live at the Turtle Bay condos in Kahuku (north shore, oahu) for $800 per month plus utilities. Want to know if anyone thinks that is a good price. Also, I am attempting to find a job in sales and have over 30 years of apparel sales (Ocean Pacific, Lightning Bolt, etc.) as well as sales and marketing in the golf, healthcare, and telecom industries. I am 69 years old, hard worker and a life long surfer and want very much to finally live my dream, but I am under no illusions as to how tough it is going to be trying to find a job there in advance of arriving. I also was a golf instructor at the Arnold Palmer Golf Academy in Florida. Does anyone know of any opportunities for a person such as me. Also, if I were to get a job in Honolulu, what is the difficulty of getting to work on time if I am living on the North Shore. Hope to hear from you guys.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:03 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Price sounds really attractive. Its an incredibly awful commute to just about anywhere on the island (think multi-hour especially when waves are high)

Old 03-31-2014, 05:56 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
There's a nice golf course there! We bought a vehicle from someone who lives there. He commutes and finds it easier to swing up the east side and catch H3.

Why did the OP copy and paste his original post?

Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 AM

100 posts, read 269,791 times
I would side with Davephan on this one. too good to be true. Triple check your sources to make sure its not a scam....the $800 per month in Turtle Bay. I recall seeing some in the past for N Shore where the scammers copied/borrowed legitimate property photos as well as the advertisement and then used it to create their own bogus rental listing. All they need at that point is a little social engineering and boom!!! pwnd..

Old 03-31-2014, 12:00 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Maybe Vince Parker copying and reposting his original post is like the scammers copying/borrowing information and reposting?

OP, were you thinking that you would generate more responses if you reposted? Without a word of thanks to those who already took the time to try to help you out?

Old 03-31-2014, 12:20 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Well, if he's in that age group, give him some slack! Computers aren't his native environment and netiquette isn't something he grew up on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu