Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:21 AM

26 posts, read 64,479 times

Advertisements

OK - Enough threads about traffic, jobs, crime and high prices.
I miss Hawaii and would love to hear stories of the Aloha spirit. Those of you in Hawaii, what have you witnessed or experienced lately that reaffirms your love for Hawaii? You may see it everyday and not notice it's special. Trust me it is!

Take a second to tell your story and make me more homesick...take your best shot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 09:25 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times
Aloha, Howzit? Well like you pinky I haven't been home in alongtime. But for myself, da aloha spirit can be felt anywhere as long as I keep in touch with the culture and lifestyle. As pupule as this sounds, i can feel the mana of aloha in the music, hula and custems of Hawai'i. I live in a city on the mainland that has a fairly large population of people who have lived in Hawai'i and alot of Native Hawai'ians, so we have alot of Hawai'i cultural events and a few hula schools and concerts from Hawai'i music stars. But this is just part of the equation. I try to live it outside of CDF Hawai'i (because some of you are just pupule and would make a saint lose patience lol) by greeting people with a smile and hello, opening doors and just not losing patience in a long line or in traffic. Aloha Spirit is hard to explain to people who haven't experienced it. Its more then kind gestures etc. Its a spiritual thing.

I agree with you Gee how many ways can we talk about money on here? Hawai'i is so much more.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:12 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyTuscadero View Post
OK - Enough threads about traffic, jobs, crime and high prices.
Well, I was stuck in traffic on the H4, driving to a job interview, of course I was stuck in traffic, when some guy jumped out of his truck and stole me cel phone right out of my hands, I was going to run him down with my moped, but ran out of gas instead. It's SSSOOOOOOOO friggin expensive!!!!

True story!! (maybe not)

I had a crew working for me over on Oahu in the late 80s, and we're driving back to Hawaii Kai, where I had a condo. Cruising down Kalanianiole, we're just past Niu Valley, and one of my employees, a kid from the Phillipines, asks if I'd buy him a new pair of rubbah slippahs. I can't imagine why he'd want me to buy him new slippahs, but, what the hell, 'sure' I tell him. He then rolls down his window, we go along a bit, but traffic is wayyy slow, and, in front of this one CMU wall with an entry gate, he heaves his slippahs over the wall. I didn't know it at the time, but the Marcos family, Ferd and Imelda, had just rented this beach house, which was to be their exile home in Hawaii.. Just a few days before, Imelda had been interviewed on KITV, and, when asked what she missed most about Manila and the P.I., she answered, 'My shoes'. Folks were going hungry down there, had been going hungry for a long time, and Imelda missed her hundreds of pairs of shoes.........
But, she had CHOKE RUBBAH SLIPPAHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because mine wasn't the only vehicle with rubbah slippahs flying out the window

Now THAT'S Aloha Spirit

Old 04-24-2014, 01:09 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,283 times
Lately? Hmmm..

Tried a different surf break last night after work. I took my longboard because the waves have been 'small' lately. I ended up having a great time. The water is getting warmer, and it's staying light longer. The sun was huge as it set just over the land side of the tip of Barber's Point. All of this, of course, in board shorts and a rash guard.

If I still lived in Florida the waves would have been considered huge and it would have been an epic, rather than normal, surf day. If I still lived in Washington I would be covered head to toe in rubber, freezing my okole off. If I still lived in Texas it would have been the clearest I had ever seen the water.

There is no doubt that living here and being able to surf pristine clear warm water year round is a special treat. It's my job to make sure stay humble and appreciate it.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:11 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times
We had just arrived. Jeff, his teenage daughter and I. Three very pale people who obviously needed sunscreen but we were determined to enjoy the beach. They were in the water as were another dad and daughter. The man kept calling to his daughter, Cassy. Jeff's daughter is Cassidy. That started a conversation during which the man spoke patiently of the meaning of his family tattoos, the pronunciation of familiar Hawaiian words, great food to try and places to go. It was one of the first chances we had to get to know a local and it was awesome. We never forgot his kindness.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:05 AM

Auwe! Isnt it sad on a forum about living and moving to Hawai'i no one is really interested in da Aloha Spirit, culture or how to get along with others. It just money, money, money. Just my opinion, maybe thats why things messed up? But who am i but one person who loves da aina, culture and people of Hawai'i.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:56 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
If you loved it here so much, perhaps you'd actually live here.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:27 PM

749 posts, read 854,294 times
Never lived anywhere where people are so kind and loving toward homeless cats, it's really cool. Aloha spirit towards people, no haven't noticed much if any.

Last edited by tdr22; 04-26-2014 at 02:44 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 03:22 PM

217 posts, read 640,865 times
I was lucky enough to stay at a condo for a week and a half over Memorial Day, by Ala Moana park. I went to the Floating Lantern ceremony. It was so amazing, very emotional. When I got back to the condo, the lovely young lady at the front desk asked if we had gone. I said yes, it was so beautiful. She then showed me the photos she had taken from the roof, and shared them with me! That was my aloha moment on Memorial Day. Very sweet and such a kind thing to do!

Old 06-02-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixette View Post
I was lucky enough to stay at a condo for a week and a half over Memorial Day, by Ala Moana park. I went to the Floating Lantern ceremony. It was so amazing, very emotional. When I got back to the condo, the lovely young lady at the front desk asked if we had gone. I said yes, it was so beautiful. She then showed me the photos she had taken from the roof, and shared them with me! That was my aloha moment on Memorial Day. Very sweet and such a kind thing to do!
Oh man that is so awsome. Those floating lantern festivals can be really heart touching. Mahalo for sharing your experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu