Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 04:36 PM

29 posts, read 45,173 times

Advertisements

I live on the Mid Atlantic. Our winters are gray, windy, wet and cold. Misery index high but other parts of the mainland are worse.

When Hawaiians see this on the national news, what do you think ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 05:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDad2020 View Post

I don't think to much thought is put into it.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,482,806 times
Quote:
I don't think too much about it.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:00 PM

258 posts, read 422,717 times
I'm not Hawaiian, I am a mainlander that just moved to Hawaii (from VA Beach actually!) and when I saw people complaining about the snow a week or 2 ago I laughed at them.

I grew up in Syracuse. It can snow in May there. Snow in April is expected. My first year of college (2000-2001) it snowed a measurable amount in Syracuse every day between I think November and February. THAT was a crazy winter. Everyone was so spoiled for the past few years with mild winters that now they don't know how to handle a normal one anymore.

And while laughing I get really happy to live somewhere it doesn't get cold.

I'm sure people who were raised here really don't care about winter weather or mainland weather in general.

~Katy

Old 04-26-2014, 07:32 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,693,256 times
I'm not Hawaiian, either, just moved here from Colorado. I get cold just watching pictures of people walking in freezing blizzards, all wrapped up in heavy coats, and seeing those 50-car accidents on icy roads. And then I change the channel real fast!

So glad that my husband and I worked at decent jobs that gave us a good retirement to live in Hawaii!!

Old 04-26-2014, 07:50 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,526,644 times
I was born and raised in Hawaii and could care less about the snow on the Mainland. I become a crybaby once it drops below 70 degrees.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:05 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,833,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I was born and raised in Hawaii and could care less about the snow on the Mainland. I become a crybaby once it drops below 70 degrees.
Kaimuki that's my sentiment exactly.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,269,052 times
Quote:
I live on the Mid Atlantic. Our winters are gray, windy, wet and cold. Misery index high but other parts of the mainland are worse.

It's as relevant to me as the winter weather in Asia, Europe, Africa, or any other place that's a continent away.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:33 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,205,009 times
Never gave it much thought before, even living in Minnesota for a short while I thought it was kind of interesting to have those major blizzards in the middle of December. However, living (exiled) in the "great" city of Seattle for the last few years has given me a whole new appreciation for how much I took the warm days (summer and winter) for granted. I am thankful I am leaving Seattle in a couple months, and believe me when I say that it *feels* so much worse here than even Minnesota, yes it gets much colder in Minneapolis in January, but the abject misery of a Seattle winter is far worse. Being completely soaked to the bone in 38 degree weather with constant 25mph winds and literally weeks with no sun makes it feel much worse than all but the worst cold snaps in the Midwest. To be honest you can't even tell the difference between November and April in Seattle; rain, cold, and wind pretty much every day which cuts right through you. Don't believe anyone who says the weather here is mild; it's miserable.

I can't wait to be back on Oahu seeing Christmas lights on my way to Ala Moana to swim laps, when I know in Seattle it's going to be raining, 38 degrees and windy. Actually, today it's a balmy spring-like 42 degrees, windy, and raining as I type this. No sun of course.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:57 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,261,302 times
Quote:

When a mainland area gets a lot of snow that makes news. The local TV Station i watch, ususally shows the weather and at the end. They always say better to be in Hawaii than there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu