Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 02:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times

Advertisements

I cant imagine anybody living here actually buying anything at the Old Marketplace the past 15 years unless it was a gag gift, it turned into a bunch of Asian imported knockoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 03:32 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,765,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I cant imagine anybody living here actually buying anything at the Old Marketplace the past 15 years unless it was a gag gift, it turned into a bunch of Asian imported knockoffs.
Well i agree that the international market place was catered for the tourist, but at one time it had good restaurants and they even had a great small comfortable movie theater up on the second floor by the banyan tree. Also it was a place that you could be entertained for an afternoon without spending any money.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:08 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,225,470 times
I quit going to there decades ago, it was interesting to see the trees, but the merchandise, I never made one purchase there ever. It felt poor and third world, not inviting. I do like the looks of the new place. Though it looks like it will cost a fortune. Hope it survives and thrives but I have my doubts.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:44 PM

293 posts, read 362,176 times
As I recall, it was always pretty nice in the mid sixties. I used to hang out there a lot.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:16 AM

66 posts, read 52,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Aloha

I found footage of what the new international market place will look like. I will let you be the judge if this is progress? But as you compare the video of the Old International Market Place which has been around for generations with the new one, ask yourself this? Does the new marketplace represent the spirit of the old international market place or its feel? Or does the new one look and feel like other places that changed in Honolulu due to progress only with more nature?

Old International Market Place

International Market Place Waikiki - YouTube

New International Market Place Fly-Through

International Market Place Fly-Through - YouTube

You be the judge, im interested in hearing what people think and if the responses are going to go the way I think they will?
Looks Great!!!

Old 05-17-2014, 09:18 PM

749 posts, read 853,955 times
I just returned from a short trip to Oahu, it was my first time there. I have never seen such numbers of homeless, druggies and general misery spread though so much of a city/county. It was a truly sad thing to see.

Maui certainly has the same troubles but.....I am glad to be home.

I want to visit Oahu again, in 1957 maybe the early 60's. Oh well, I agree progress can be a real mixed bag.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:16 AM

491 posts, read 1,654,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well. The international marketplace turned into a complete dump the past 10 years. Rats, garbage, and filth. A moot point, since it has been torn down.

It was pretty disgusting.
I was at the International Marketplace about 2 years ago and I'm sorry to say that place is a dump. I went in there to try some local places too eat and ran out as fast as I can. The smell alone is disgusting and it did feel like any second a rat would jump at your feet. I'm surprise those places that served food passed the inspection.
Anyways, the new International Market Place looks like a huge improvement.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,334 times
This new out door mall has NOTHING to do with an International Market Place. It looks just like the Bal Harbor FL outdoor mall that was built over 40 years ago. And, as far as entertainment, there's a mall a few miles down the road that already provides that. Sounds like Saks paid off local officials so they could tell the locals that this is what they and the tourists want. Bring back the old market place setup and get rid of this concrete trash!!!

Old 05-25-2014, 02:45 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,765,373 times
I thought this article would be interesting to this thread, this is from a journalist who is a local in hawaii.

Honolulu Civil Beat - The End of Waikiki's International Market Place - Post

What your opinion on what was said?

Old 05-25-2014, 09:35 PM

155 posts, read 89,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I thought this article would be interesting to this thread, this is from a journalist who is a local in hawaii.

Honolulu Civil Beat - The End of Waikiki's International Market Place - Post

What your opinion on what was said?
Site's down for a re-write.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: