Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:19 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conshelf View Post
Site's down for a re-write.
Mahalo uncle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 10:27 PM

522 posts, read 694,451 times
How hot does it get in Hawaii? To me, it looks like the new one has no awnings or protection from the sun...

Old 05-25-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
How hot does it get in Hawaii? To me, it looks like the new one has no awnings or protection from the sun...
the average temperature of honolulu is low 80s to high 80s for highs and low 70s to mid 70s as the lows. It can get humid at times.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:30 PM

155 posts, read 89,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
the average temperature of honolulu is low 80s to high 80s for highs and low 70s to mid 70s as the lows. It can get humid at times.
It gets a bit warmer on the Big Island, nearly 2,000 degrees warmer!!! Yikes.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:02 PM

I got bored so i thought i would post a video that had Iz singing and a different look at the IMP. Enjoy

Hawaii '78: Brudda Iz and the Makaha Sons of Niihau - YouTube

Also i found this news clip that had some opinions. Do you agree or what is your opinion?

Trends & Talkers: International Market Place - YouTube

Old 06-05-2014, 01:00 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
Also i found this news clip that had some opinions. Do you agree or what is your opinion?
One opinion was that if you keep changing Hawaii it will eventually be no different from the mainland.

If the person said Waikiki, then maybe. However as you know Hawaiian By Heart, the majority of what Hawaii is has nothing to do with Saks Fifth Avenue or the old International Market Place. It is more about the mountains, the ocean, the jungles, the dry canyons, the beaches, the volcanoes, the food, the people, etc... So cleaning up and modernizing what was the International Market Place isn't going to change much else.
But that's just my opinion.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
One opinion was that if you keep changing Hawaii it will eventually be no different from the mainland.

If the person said Waikiki, then maybe. However as you know Hawaiian By Heart, the majority of what Hawaii is has nothing to do with Saks Fifth Avenue or the old International Market Place. It is more about the mountains, the ocean, the jungles, the dry canyons, the beaches, the volcanoes, the food, the people, etc... So cleaning up and modernizing what was the International Market Place isn't going to change much else.
But that's just my opinion.
Oh i agree and you know i think people on here believe i and others who think like me are saying no to modern changes period. No that isn't the case. Even when i lived in hawaii we had some modern mainland stuff, but back then there was a balance. Today no, modernisation has become a juggernout. I loved IMP not for the shopping or shops but how i felt experiencing it. Most locals its the feelings we experience from places.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Most locals its the feelings we experience from places.
I think that is not for just locals in Hawaii but people everywhere. I also think that as people we like to romanticize our memories and when we try to revisit them today, they usually can't hold up.
For example, when I was a kid I loved going to Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour and later Chuck E Cheese. Now when I go to either, usually because of a child's birthday party, it just isn't the same. Huge let down for me. However, if I forget about the experiences I had as a child and stop comparing it to the experience I am currently having, then I can look around and see that the children of today are having a blast and making memories of their own.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:27 AM

@McFrostyJ

Oh you rememba Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour huh? Hawaii or no? Well brah hate to break this to you. But your dissatisfaction of both isn't because your older but because the current owners of Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour don't put the same love and care and customer service as when they were huge in da 70s, your not the only one to
complain.

But i get what your saying. I enjoy modern things like internet and dignal cable and smartphones. But i will have to say that today i haven't found an experience with modern movie theaters that gives me the feeling i had when experienceing the drivein movie or the ethnic or old theaters in Hawaii. It isn't living in the past so much as its a totally different experience.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:46 AM

Quote:
@McFrostyJ
Oh you rememba Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour huh? Hawaii or no?
At the original in Portland, Oregon of course!

I am curious Hawaiian By Heart, since Farrell's Ice Cream Parlours were a mainland company that started in Portland, Oregon in 1963 and was sold in 1971 to the Marriott Corporation, did you protest them coming and changing Hawaii to look more like the mainland?

http://www.farrellsusa.com/history-of-fun.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: