Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:27 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,825,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
When planes need to be filled because nobody is buying tickets, that is what happens.
It might also have something to do with Alaska having a direct flight from Portland to Maui, unlike Hawaiian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 11:35 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,619,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
My sister stayed there this last January. It's nothing fancy but it is a little quieter than down in the heart of Waikiki. The only negative I would say was the walk from Waikiki to the New Otani at night. We stayed at the Park Shore and I didn't feel comfortable with her walking back to her hotel alone after dark. So I spent a lot of time walking back and forth. To be fair, we didn't have any problems on our walk, most of the homeless people were tucked in for the night. But then there was three of us including my 18 year old nephew that is even bigger than I am.
How did you like the Park Shore? When I asked a travel agent, she was giving me that hotel despite the fact I told her I could go up to $1700 for the hotel.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,985,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
It might also have something to do with Alaska having a direct flight from Portland to Maui, unlike Hawaiian.
Generally, non-stops between an origin and destination are more expensive in the industry.

Just saying.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
How did you like the Park Shore? When I asked a travel agent, she was giving me that hotel despite the fact I told her I could go up to $1700 for the hotel.
We usually stay at the Park Shore because it's on the edge of Waikiki and so it's easy to get to everything on foot. Again, it's nothing fancy but nice for the price. They recently remodeled the hotel and I really like the improvements. I'd recommend getting an Ocean Front room. The beach is right across the street and if there are too many people, just take a very short walk to your left (as you face the ocean) and you will find open space and a lot of times, no people. If you like snorkeling, again take a left and walk towards the rock jetty that you see. Snorkel on the Waikiki side of it and you will usually see lots of beautiful fish. If you are a good swimmer, go out and snorkel all the way back to the cement wall in front of your hotel. It gets deep in spots but you will run into bigger and even more beautiful fish. Maybe even a turtle!

Old 06-29-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Generally, non-stops between an origin and destination are more expensive in the industry.

Just saying.
Really? Not from my experiences going to Hawaii. Also, we are going to Los Angeles next month on Alaska and the non-stop flight was a lot cheaper than the others. But maybe I just get lucky.

Now to be fair, if the price was even close and if Hawaiian had a direct flight to Maui from Portland, I'd fly Hawaiian because I have always received excellent service from them.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:33 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,382,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
It's Tanioka's. Crackers and raw fish. Haha you haole! Drinking beer on the beach is illegal on Oahu.
Spellcheck comes through again.

ILLEGAL! Maybe that's why Maili was our choice. lol Barber's Point said NO GLASS so we always took cups.

I love it when you call me haole! I miss you guys.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:49 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,286,142 times
If you don't care for crowds, conjuestion, noise, and don't need nightlife, why would you ever consider Waikiki? If you like a quieter and less touristy areas, why not think about staying on the Big Island? Some areas on the Big Island are touristy, but most areas are not. I don't care for staying in hotels either. I prefer to stay in a house or condo. To me, its a better experience, plus I don't have to eat every meal at restruants, which I find very tiring. At the end of the day driving around exploring the island, I felt like I was coming home instead of returning to a very tiny hotel room. It's nice to kick back and relax in the house or condo after I wake up, instead of having a strong desire to escape the tiny hotel room. The beach we discovered a half hour north of Kona was hands down nicer than Waikiki or what we found on Maui. On the beach at Waikiki, you'll be surrounded by thousands of people. On the Big Island when we went to the beach there were about two dozen people spread out over a large beech area. Driving on the Big Island is a very pleasant experience. We rented with VRBO and had a good experience.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:32 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,879,102 times
New Otani and the Lotus are nice that they are out of Waikiki but within walking distance. Kahala is not within walking distance. New Otani is doing renovations so I'd be concerned. It has mostly Japanese clientele and I'm told the rooms are small. The Lotus used to be the W and is nice. Michele's restaurant in the Colony Surf does weddings. That is next door to the Lotus and New Otani. Seems mostly Japanese and they set up a chapel like environment in the ocean front restaurant. BUT, I'd stay at the Royal Hawaiian. It's amazing how quiet it is yet it is in the middle of everything!

But, if you're not willing to add 3-5 more days in Hawaii I'd say stay in Vegas. Way more wedding options and bigger bang for the buck. Being here 5-6 days and including a wedding event would not be worth the travel time. I say anything less than 2 weeks is a waste unless it's a return visit or a quick trip from the west coast.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:46 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,619,957 times
We only have 10 days and half of it needs to be in Vegas for family. Neither of us can get more vacation time. The original plan was to get married in Vegas, but then we decided we wanted to get married on the beach in Hawaii. I know that a week or more is ideal, but the way we see it 5 days is better than nothing, and it's closer to get there from Vegas than NYC anyway.

Oahu is our only option as any other island will cost us at least $200 more in airfare and a longer time spent on planes. Considering we only have 10 days total, we don't want half a day spent traveling. (The day coming back is fine, just not in between). The wedding would only be us and maybe one other guest, so we're talking maybe a half hour to an hour at most out of an entire day spent on the wedding.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:39 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,238,326 times
If you are thinking of the north shore the Kuilima estates can be nice. They are low rise condos near/on the Turtle Bay property. They are all different, independently owned so kind of hit and miss. Can go to the hotel when you want for restaurants and ocean, it's a nice walk. The north shore is calmer than Waikiki. You would need a car out there to see the surrounding beaches. Unless you want more of nightlife, then Waikiki is a good choice.

The Estates At Turtle Bay condos - oahu vacation rental condo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu