Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 08:03 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,356,251 times

Advertisements

Please find an evening to have poke' and beer on the beach. (Tanioke's and Longboard) If you're a sushi eater this is even better - with no rice. Take a box of crackers and you're set. You should bring a small pair of binoculars if you have them. Nothing like staring out to sea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 08:10 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,821,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
McFrosty, Maui is more expensive than Oahu. By quite a bit.
It depends on where you stay and what do. We will be there at the beginning of October and the only thing that is more expensive is that we are renting a car, which we don't normally do on Oahu. Although, if I was going to stay anywhere besides Waikiki on Oahu, then I would rent a car there too. Yes, food might be a little more, gas, etc... but compared to staying at the Kahala Resort or Turtle Bay, I think they would end up saving money by going to Maui.

Also we saved over $200 each on our air from Portland to Maui and back by flying Alaska instead of Hawaiian.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:04 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,615,225 times
I can pull more than $300 a night, I just don't see the point of doing so since we will be out exploring most of the time. Plenty of options on hotels came in under that price as well as some vacation and condo rentals. Just wondering what would be the best option outside of Waikiki and the touristy areas?

My brother suggested Maui also but then the flight goes up by at least $200 and we would have to take connecting flights or pay over $1900 for the flight alone. (We are going from NYC to Vegas for a few days then to Hawaii and back to NYC)

I saw good deals on the Shoreline, the Modern, The JW Marriott Ihilani Ko'Olina. The only downside I can see to the Marriott is I read it shares the beach with the Disney resort.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I can pull more than $300 a night, I just don't see the point of doing so since we will be out exploring most of the time. Plenty of options on hotels came in under that price as well as some vacation and condo rentals. Just wondering what would be the best option outside of Waikiki and the touristy areas?

My brother suggested Maui also but then the flight goes up by at least $200 and we would have to take connecting flights or pay over $1900 for the flight alone. (We are going from NYC to Vegas for a few days then to Hawaii and back to NYC)

I saw good deals on the Shoreline, the Modern, The JW Marriott Ihilani Ko'Olina. The only downside I can see to the Marriott is I read it shares the beach with the Disney resort.
Again, I'll state that I'd ask you not consider illegal vacation/condo rentals.

A Maui trip will be more expensive than Oahu - however, Maui is my favorite island.

I don't know the Shoreline hotel off the top of my head - The Modern is not on the beach, but you can walk to the Hilton on Waikiki, the JW Marriott sharing the beach with Disney is a non-issue, the beach is pretty wide open in that area. I'd skip the West Side and look towards Turtle Bay.

Most of Oahu is regulated on where you can stay legally. Buyer beware.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

Also we saved over $200 each on our air from Portland to Maui and back by flying Alaska instead of Hawaiian.
When planes need to be filled because nobody is buying tickets, that is what happens.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Please find an evening to have poke' and beer on the beach. (Tanioke's and Longboard) If you're a sushi eater this is even better - with no rice. Take a box of crackers and you're set. You should bring a small pair of binoculars if you have them. Nothing like staring out to sea.
Sounds great, he's the sushi eater (no pun intended) but sticks to California rolls mainly. So not much raw fish between us. However I do love seafood in general but I'm a wuss and it has to be cooked.

I am now looking at the New Otani, which seems to be on the quiet end of Waikiki.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:04 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,526,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
It's Tanioka's. Crackers and raw fish. Haha you haole! Drinking beer on the beach is illegal on Oahu.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Drinking beer on the beach is illegal on Oahu.
Yes, that is a good point, drinking any alcohol is illegal on the beach on Oahu - I've seen people busted in Waikiki more recently but not on the other beaches.

If you keep it look low key you should be ok - usually.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:54 PM

Interesting to know that the fight against Airbnb is not just here in NYC. It's become a big deal here but here a lot of people rent vs own, so it's the landlords that have an issue with it about not allowing their tenants to sublet so to speak.

I'm still checking the New Otani, also looking at the Lotus, still looking at Turtle Bay and checking for smaller boutique hotels. While my brother seems to suggest the larger chains, we don't want to go to a place that is crowded and noisy. We get more than enough of that here. Plus with FH working in hotels all the time, he's rather picky.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:23 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,821,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I am now looking at the New Otani, which seems to be on the quiet end of Waikiki.
My sister stayed there this last January. It's nothing fancy but it is a little quieter than down in the heart of Waikiki. The only negative I would say was the walk from Waikiki to the New Otani at night. We stayed at the Park Shore and I didn't feel comfortable with her walking back to her hotel alone after dark. So I spent a lot of time walking back and forth. To be fair, we didn't have any problems on our walk, most of the homeless people were tucked in for the night. But then there was three of us including my 18 year old nephew that is even bigger than I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu