Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,345 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are taking a trip to Hawaii and will be staying on Lanakai Beach. I lived in Honolulu as a child, (35 years ago!) so I know much has changed. Would love to know of some great local restaurants and some child friendly hikes in the area. Also, how long a drive from Honolulu to Lanakai?

We are traveling over Christmas. Can you tell I am excited?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 01:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam4 View Post
Hello, we are taking a trip to Hawaii and will be staying on Lanakai Beach. I lived in Honolulu as a child, (35 years ago!) so I know much has changed. Would love to know of some great local restaurants and some child friendly hikes in the area. Also, how long a drive from Honolulu to Lanakai?
The easiest child friendly hike is Makapuu Lighthouse. It is completely paved - offers great views, and you might even see whales over Xmas. Since you are going to be in Lanakai, the Lanakai Pillboxes are not difficult. For other hikes, you are going to be dependent on weather - a lot of hikes get muddy (Xmas is rainy season - although you might get lucky and not see any rain) - and that is generally what makes some of the hikes difficult, slipping in the mud.

Local restaurants - Buzz's is always packed, you'll need reservations. Not my personal favorite steak place, but it is close to Lanakai - Obama generally eats there once every year and unless something changes, he'll be back in Kailua over Xmas. I've never been terribly overwhelmed by the food in Kailua, your best bet is yelp, you'll literally see hundreds of reviews for any food type. Yelp enjoys large support on Oahu.

The drive to Honolulu is one of those "it depends" - it depends where in Honolulu. Plan on 30-40 minutes downtown, 30-40 minutes to the airport, 30 minutes to Hawaii Kai, 40 minutes to Ala Moana, and 45 or so to Waikiki. All depending on traffic and exactly where you are coming from in Lanakai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: