Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 07:58 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,785,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Agreed. It's just another one of the 1,001 ways Hawai'i is different. Projecting reasons onto the situation without factual research to back them tend to be agenda driven.
And what agenda is that? Whats yours, Whtviper1 and McfrostyJ agenda?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/21/opinio...urnout-hawaii/

just one of many news stories on why hawaii doesn't vote.

But really all you have to do is follow local hawaii political issues to find out that majority of the political issues doesn't side with locals or there communitty concerns. Its no secret that hawaii politics leans more towards big money and foreign interests.

No agenda, just not going to lie about issues because i don't want to deal with conflict or face the truth, nor am i worried about popularity either.

Do i lie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 08:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Its no secret that hawaii politics leans more towards big money and foreign interests.
If true - then that would be because people are not voting and are allowing it to happen.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:48 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,827,262 times
Quote:
And what agenda is that? Whats yours, Whtviper1 and McfrostyJ agenda?

Hawaii: The state that doesn't vote - CNN.com

just one of many news stories on why hawaii doesn't vote.
From the very first sentence of the article you posted, "Elle Cochran grew up far too enchanted by Maui's rocky coastline and beach-bum lifestyle to care a thing about politics and voting."
So like I said earlier, maybe a lot of people who live in Hawaii just aren't that into politics.

Quote:
Its no secret that hawaii politics leans more towards big money and foreign interests.
How is that any different than politics in Oregon or any other state?

Old 08-07-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
From the very first sentence of the article you posted, "Elle Cochran grew up far too enchanted by Maui's rocky coastline and beach-bum lifestyle to care a thing about politics and voting."
So like I said earlier, maybe a lot of people who live in Hawaii just aren't that into politics.

How is that any different than politics in Oregon or any other state?
What does other states have to do with Hawaii? Wow am i now going to walk on egg shells everytime i don't post something that isn't PC? Of course McfrostyJ apathy in "we are in hawaii plays a role". You know a good example of what i was saying is go ask any local of kauai if they are winning the battle against the big box stores and development? Then ask yourself why majority of the people are not being listened to? And understand that before kauai it was maui and oahu. No agenda just facts.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If true - then that would be because people are not voting and are allowing it to happen.
An example from your neck of the woods viper?

Kailua seeks balance - Hawaii Business - July 2012 - Hawaii

Have limits in tourism happen? Has illegal temp rentals been curbed? No?

Old 08-07-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
An example from your neck of the woods viper?

Kailua seeks balance - Hawaii Business - July 2012 - Hawaii

Have limits in tourism happen? Has illegal temp rentals been curbed? No?
What does that have to do with voter turnout? If the residents of Kailua or wherever don't vote then they have no business to complain.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:14 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,827,262 times
Quote:
Wow am i now going to walk on egg shells everytime i don't post something that isn't PC?
Why? I thought we were just having a conversation, trying to learn from each other.

Quote:
What does other states have to do with Hawaii?
Hawaii is one of the 50 States of America. You said, "Its no secret that hawaii politics leans more towards big money and foreign interests." My question was simply, how is that any different from any other state?

Old 08-07-2014, 11:48 PM

7 posts, read 14,284 times
Wow, seems a little argument had started. Anyways, on to my question. Why do the (few) people that vote, vote for (usually) democratic officials? Thanks

Old 08-08-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandwaves View Post
Wow, seems a little argument had started. Anyways, on to my question. Why do the (few) people that vote, vote for (usually) democratic officials? Thanks
That's easy. So many poor people. Gotta keep those benefits flowing.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:28 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,301,995 times
Often when I see Mainlanders ask about the politics of Hawaii...they often think in Mainlander terms.

The Mainland seems particularly obsessed about creating these divides...and they seem centered on just several very peculiar issues - abortion and guns being the two main ones.

Based on how a person responds to these two issues, the said person than is expected to 100% back or 100% be against a large plethora of other issues all along a very rigid black/white divide with no middle ground whatsoever.

I think, in general, few Hawaiians or Asians really feel passionate one way or the other on these two issues, and would rarely go off the Deep End to fight for or against one of them. This leads to great puzzlement among people on the Mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu