Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 12:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiWarriorFan View Post
Some really twisted logic and ideology on here sometimes. If that logic or ideology was placed in a different context, the same people would be like "huh"? For example, imagine one day your walking down the street and a criminal mugs you. When you seek justice or ask him why? The criminal in court justifies his crime by saying "Your lucky, what are you complaining about? You should be happy, the mugger down the street would of mugged you and then put a knife in your gut". Of course I doubt anyone's response would be "hey ok you know your right" your free to go?
That example would make perfect sense if I dropped you in lets say, parts of Syria.

But doesn't really make sense for Hawaii.

Its a bit silly to deny Hawaii inevitably would have been taken over by someone had the United States not intervened and its not a leap that had another country taken over, then Native Hawaiian stuff would've been moot as it wouldn't even be a conversation starter. Does anyone really think Japan could've cared less about Native Hawaiian rights? Seriously?

The fact the US took over means Native Hawaiians can even have the discussion about some self rule like Indians. I suspect even most Native Hawaiians understand that basic concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 01:32 PM

102 posts, read 118,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That example would make perfect sense if I dropped you in lets say, parts of Syria.

But doesn't really make sense for Hawaii.

Its a bit silly to deny Hawaii inevitably would have been taken over by someone had the United States not intervened and its not a leap that had another country taken over, then Native Hawaiian stuff would've been moot as it wouldn't even be a conversation starter. Does anyone really think Japan could've cared less about Native Hawaiian rights? Seriously?

The fact the US took over means Native Hawaiians can even have the discussion about some self rule like Indians. I suspect even most Native Hawaiians understand that basic concept.
Its bizarre to be arguing that Hawai'i would of eventually been taken over by others. There are many examples of small countries or island countries in our world that stil remain sovereign to this day. Even island countries better then Hawai'i. Who knows what would of happened had things been different?

There are many arguments justifying American actions. Like Hawai'i was weak military wise or it has strategic value so it wouldn't have remained sovereign. But again this is faulty thinking because there is evidence in our world of other countries just like Hawai'i in different parts of the world still sovereign. Ok Enough Said this thread isn't about sovereignty.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:24 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiWarriorFan View Post
There are many examples of small countries or island countries in our world that stil remain sovereign to this day. Even island countries better then Hawai'i. Who knows what would of happened had things been different?

But again this is faulty thinking because there is evidence in our world of other countries just like Hawai'i in different parts of the world still sovereign.
Like who? Who has a location similar to Hawaii in the Northern Hemisphere? Who are these island countries?

Bermuda comes to mind as most similar. (British Territory)

Guam? (US Territory)

Okinawa (Japan)

Singapore and Malaysia don't really count - they were British Territorities (until the 60's) that logistically couldn't be held on to....and now I'm drifting Southern Hemisphere....

Tahiti? (France)

Saipan? (US)

Which island countries have always been self governed that weren't taken over at one time? (Better than Hawaii as you put it) It is that very reason that practically every island country in the world has been a part of British Territory, France, Spain, etc that stands to reason it was inevitable that Hawaii would have the same fate considering the strategic location it has.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:21 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
EVERY land mass / area has been taken over by other people going back thousands of years. This is the same thing.

No sovereignty discussions.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-17-2016, 04:41 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Aren't there currently many sovereign island states?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...vereign_states

That said, the current owners of these islands are most likely not the original owners.
The original owners are probably dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu