Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 05:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Maybe you just attract some bad vibes or something. I drive in rush hour traffic 5 days a week and hardly ever hear a horn. Be honest Hawaiian By Heart, if this same thing happened here and was caught on tape, it would equally not be accepted no matter what the color of the crazy person's skin.
^^^This

Old 09-13-2014, 06:11 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Maybe you just attract some bad vibes or something. I drive in rush hour traffic 5 days a week and hardly ever hear a horn. Be honest Hawaiian By Heart, if this same thing happened here and was caught on tape, it would equally not be accepted no matter what the color of the crazy person's skin.
Who is making this about race? But funny you brought it up. If it had been a native hawai'ian or a local boy who road raged against a caucasian person he would also be facing a hate crime charge.

Omg she was arrested on suspicion of unauthorized entry into a motorized vehicle, a Class C felony? Not attempted assult, reckless driving etc etc?

Old 09-13-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Omg! I believe the caucasian lady
This is when it became about race.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:20 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,908,539 times
Yeah, this behavior isn't accepted or acceptable anywhere. I've never seen this happen and I live in a backwards mainland town...

Old 09-13-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Yeah, this behavior isn't accepted or acceptable anywhere. I've never seen this happen and I live in a backwards mainland town...
But have you seen people honking there horns multiple times because the person in front of them are not moving fast enough for tyem and or they are yelling at others to move? Thats road rage too. I see this behavior at least 10 times a day at a crazy intersection in Downtown Portland.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:20 PM

133 posts, read 182,677 times
i found this forum very useful when researching moving to hawaii. however, it's messed up how so many of the threads here somehow end up in a conversation about class or race (or unsolicited financial advice!) among the usual suspects.

i know, cheeky from a newbie but, man… the same old rhetoric gets old. you can almost predict where it's going to go and what positions people take.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:40 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times
In Japan it's nearly illegal to honk your horn. The drivers in Hawaii were so laid back it was amazing. They did everything so laid back, actually.
I'm in Atlanta now (hopefully temporarily) and traffic is horrendous, even coming from the Ewa Beach to JBPHH commute. Though I haven't seen a lot of road rage in the last 9 months, there has been some dangerous driving. To be fair, staties are everywhere during rush hour.
Driving around Atlanta on 285 must be about the same distance as driving around Oahu.
If you don't pull off from a traffic light fast enough, you'll get honked at.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Why do you take it on yourself to point out every chance to anyone they don't live in Hawai'i or anything else? Why?
Because you act like you live here. You never say in your posts - "blah, blah, blah - and want to be upfront, I don't live in Hawaii and haven't been to Hawaii for over 30 years since I was a kid."

Why mislead people - why not tell people when you say something about Hawaii you don't even live here.

I lived in Chicago and was raised there nearly 30 years (more than you in Hawaii) - lived in San Francisco almost 15 - I don't post on those threads - I don't live in those places. Why would I? It would be creepy.

Just be honest.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:31 AM

Ive never have misled anyone, if someone asks i will tell them. I don't know how that has anything to do with truth or fact whtviper? For example, if you commented in a Chicago forum that during rush hr the buses and subways are packed with people, this is a truth. It doesn't matter if you lived there 30 years ago or what. Just like the argument of finding a apartment in Hawai'i that has a good tradewind or breezes will cut down on electricity used by AC, this is fact and truth it doesn't matter if you have lived there 100years ago or whatever!

Your way out on left field on this attitude, sure locals don't like people from the mainland telling them how to live life, but thats mainlanders who are mainlanders dork. Not people born and raised then moved to mainland.

Sure you might think all the culture etc etc is make believe, hocus pocus because you don't see it on the surface level of life. But viper as we speak there are 150+ halau hula (Schools) in Hawai'i alone. Your reality isn't total truth.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:59 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,623,979 times
Quote:
Omg! I believe the caucasian lady got delusional and thought she was on the mainland where this behavior is accepted? Back in the good old days you would of been afraid to do this kind of behavior.
This behavior is not acceptable anywhere, can you honestly say that you believe this is acceptable on the "mainland"? Playing with the cell phone while driving, cursing at a stranger in front of your child, getting out of your car to verbally harass another driver, and reaching into a strangers car to grab their cell phone would all be condemned in any town, city, or state, and probably country. This is not acceptable behavior anywhere, give me a break...

For all of the potential transplants reading this forum, pay attention to this thread. It is a great window into one of the big cultural dynamics in Hawaii as it highlights an important distinction. Locals, for the most part, are not explicitly racist against whites on a day to day basis. However, negative attitudes and behaviors are directly associated with "mainland" attitudes and behaviors... and haoles are generally associated with the "mainland" rather than being local. Therefore the attitudes and behaviors that locals don't like are generally associated with "mainland" haole behaviors and attitudes.

And in anticipation of the standard "whites aren't a minority in Honolulu, there is no majority" line... yes they are. Asians are the majority if you use any measure that is comparable to the measures and standards used for whites in other states. If a person of german, itallian, and polish descent is "white" then a person who is of japanese, chinese, and korean descent is "asian".

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The population of Honolulu was 390,738 according to the 2010 U.S. Census. Of those, 192,781 (49.3%) were male and 197,957 (50.7%) were female. The median age for males was 40.0 and 43.0 for females; the overall median age was 41.3. Approximately 84.7% of the total population was 16 years and over; 82.6% were 18 years and over, 78.8% were 21 years and over, 21.4% were 62 years and over, and 17.8% were 65 years and over.[9]

In terms of race and ethnicity, 54.8% were Asian, 17.9% were White, 1.5% were Black or African American, 0.2% were American Indian or Alaska Native, 8.4% were Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, 0.8% were from "some other race", and 16.3% were from two or more races. Hispanics and Latinos of any race made up 5.4% of the population.[9] In 1970, the Census Bureau reported Honolulu's population as 33.9% white and 53.7% Asian and Pacific Islander.[31]

Asian Americans represent the majority of Honolulu's population. The Asian ethnic groups are Japanese (19.9%), Filipinos (13.2%), Chinese (10.4%), Koreans (4.3%), Vietnamese (2.0%), Asian Indians (0.3%), Laotians (0.3%), Thais (0.2%), Cambodians (0.1%), and Indonesians (0.1%). People solely of Native Hawaiian ancestry made up 3.2% of the population. Samoan Americans made up 1.5% of the population, Marshallese people make up 0.5% of the city's population, and Tongan people comprise 0.3% of its population. People of Guamanian or Chamorro descent made up 0.2% of the population and numbered 841 residents.[9]
I can't count the number of times someone has made a "mainland haole" derogatory comment in front of me then said, "not like you, the odda kine haoles" as if I was the exception for being respectful, humble, family oriented, etc... instead of the rule. I took it as a complement of sorts in that they were comfortable enough around me to speak freely but I couldn't help but be a bit offended as well being white and from the mainland. Just something to keep in mind. I am sure it is basically what it is like to be a minority anywhere, not that big a deal, but something to be prepared for.

Last edited by UHgrad; 09-14-2014 at 02:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: