Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 04:39 PM

7 posts, read 14,264 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Oahu from the mainland in a few months. We love trying new foods and foods from different cultures. I know this is a very broad topic - but are there any major food differences? More of a Polynesian and Asian influence, or will you still find your Mexican and Italian restaurants like here in the mainland?

p.s - unrelated, but does anybody know if you're allowed to have a pet pig in Hawaii (Oahu)?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 04:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
If you like mystery meat and rice, you'll love this place....

The L&L Menu |

Yes, you will find plenty of Italian and Mexican Restaurants, the Mexican Restaurants mostly make great Margarita's, but good Mexican food is elusive.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:13 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandwaves View Post
p.s - unrelated, but does anybody know if you're allowed to have a pet pig in Hawaii (Oahu)?
He may be your chum, but the state considers all swine as livestock, and you'll have to deal with the Department of Agriculture quarantine to bring them in.

Animal Industry Division | Importing Swine

And in addition to zoning restrictions, Honolulu code specifies...

Quote:
Sec. 7-2.5 Special requirements.
(a) Farm animals. Enclosures for farm animals shall not be located within 300 feet of any property line.

http://www.honolulu.gov/rep/site/ocs...OHChapter7.pdf
They are not popular pets in the islands, due to their odd habit of just disappearing in the middle of the night...

Old 09-14-2014, 05:52 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If you like mystery meat and rice, you'll love this place....

The L&L Menu |

Yes, you will find plenty of Italian and Mexican Restaurants, the Mexican Restaurants mostly make great Margarita's, but good Mexican food is elusive.
L&L is to Hawaiian food what Taco Bell is to Mexican Food -- they even have a couple of L&Ls in Texas.

On Oʻahu, Ono Hawaiian Foods, Helena's, and Young's Fish Market are the places to go for fairly decent Hawaiian food…
The Ono Hawaiian Foods Web Site
Helena's Hawaiian Food
Young's Fish Market

Here's a link to Honolulu Magazine's "Hale ʻAina Award Winners" which are supposed to be the best restaurants in their particular categories in Hawaiʻi…
2014 Hale ʻAina Award Winners: Hawaiʻi's Best Restaurants

Old 09-14-2014, 11:00 PM

133 posts, read 182,492 times
I just moved to Oahu a few months ago. I have found that many restaurants are Hawaiian/Local or Asian. The great news is that there is a breadth of selection when it comes to that. I am looking forward to immersing myself in the great Japanese and Korean food available here. Plus, if you like to experiment in the kitchen, there are so many different flavors that are available/common here that you're sure to expand your kitchen repertoire. That's very exciting.

There are a good selection of other cuisines but, in my opinion, not as expansive or excellent. I've just tried an Indian place and a jerk/Jamaican place and they were kind bland for me. And a few of the finer dining places we've been to have been underwhelming for the $$$. (But, I admit that I have just come from a huge city, so I have been spoiled with culinary options - from low to high end, so my expectations about food and service are inflated.)

Old 09-16-2014, 07:02 PM

7 posts, read 14,264 times
OpenD - I was thinking more around the Pearl City area, have any knowledge on that?
And others, thanks a lot! Sounds great

Old 09-16-2014, 09:29 PM

293 posts, read 361,912 times
I had some authentic Mex food today on Oahu. Stopped in at Taco bell......lol.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:21 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,100,473 times
There are a couple good mexican places if you know where to go. My favorite is Los Chapparos (in town).
link

Old 09-19-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
OpenD - I was thinking more around the Pearl City area, have any knowledge on that?
Pearl City is in Honolulu County.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Pearl City is in Honolulu County.
Sorry, I just realized that my answer might not make any sense at all to someone just moving in... one of the 1,001 ways Hawai'i is different from the rest of the country is that there is only one city in the state... Honolulu... and that other than the city/county government of Honolulu, the lowest layer of government that can enact and enforce regulations and set taxes and fees is at the county level. So county zoning and agricultural rules apply to the entire island.

Besides, a pet pig, one that has a name and a personality and becomes a real part of your family and all presents a unique challenge in Hawai'i. I mean, a pig that special... you just can't eat a pig like that all at once!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu