Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 06:00 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,111,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Agreed - While I am sure there are "some" decent public schools in Hawaii - this forum can be the poster child at times for the poor Hawaii public school system.

Don't have a good education - then the good job is unlikely - don't have a good job, the house is elusive.
Higher education isn't for everyone. I dropped out of college as I felt it was a complete waste of time and money. And for me it literally was. Got into the trades as I couldn't stand sitting at a desk for hours on end, day after day... so I worked as a plumber, electrician, carpenter, laborer, etc etc. Heck I spent 3 years of my life with a shovel and pick in my hand. For most people a degree is critical though... especially women as they generally don't gravitate to high-paying construction/labor-based trades. The problem today is that such a strong emphasis has been put on getting a degree over the last couple decades that most young people have them... so even those with degrees are having a hard time landing a well-paying job. The market is over-saturated with zero-skill college graduates. And with the absurd cost of college expenses still growing every year, getting a college degree is making less and less sense. For some, forgoing college altogether and immersing themselves in the job market earlier on can actually be more beneficial in the long run. As an employer myself, I tend to look more at their experience level now rather than their education. That was the complete opposite 10 years ago.

Last edited by pj737; 10-29-2014 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 06:35 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,926,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Higher education isn't for everyone.
I don't disagree with that. I fall back in education is I would have been a lousy carpenter or electrician - car mechanic, etc.

Many of the people in the trades for those who have an aptitude for it do extremely well - and in many cases do better than those with a higher education degree.

Regardless of one going into a trade or higher education, one must have that internal drive to succeed.

A recipe for failure is no school or no aptitude for the trades and just limping along in life.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:39 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,448,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
What my rich friend fails to disclose is residents of Hawaii with the exception of the Big Island has increasingly gotten more wealther as the years pass. As cost of living rises and wages stagnant those who cant afford to keep up move from or relocate from Hawaii. Those who move are being replaced by richer mainland people or foriegners. So no the stats don't reflect on a better living situation for the average resident but it does say that Hawaii is becoming more of a rich mans state and is awsome for the upper class.

Anyone else getting tired of the rich transplant point of view on here?
Once everyone in Honolulu is a rich transplant, the home ownership will be 100% and Utopia will have been achieved!

Old 10-30-2014, 08:16 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,874,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Once everyone in Honolulu is a rich transplant, the home ownership will be 100% and Utopia will have been achieved!
Only when robot servants are perfected or the rail from Tijuana is completed. Who wants a Utopia where you have to clean up after yourself?

Old 11-06-2014, 09:16 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,019,259 times
I went to Uni in Hawaii and would have LOVED to stay. The bottom line is however...you must pay to live in paradise. In all my travels and places I've lived, HI was the best place I've ever spent a significant portion of time in.

I'm sure other people (including a lot of rich retirees, old money folks, etc...) look at Hawaii the same way, except they really do have $1 million in cash and plenty more in the bank to shell out on a home. It's a classic supply and demand issue, and it SUCKS for the locals unless they already have a Hawaii home from yester-year or have a very high paying job.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:11 PM

22 posts, read 34,838 times
Oh, the old "get a good education and a good paying job" tale...
Who provides the good education? And what are we paying them to show our appreciation? I have a lovely master's degree in education that will get me more than $20,000 LESS (per year) in Hawaii than I make here in MA. I love my career choice and I do my best, but my excellent education will not allow me to live wherever I want.
Good education does not always mean a decent living.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,926,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyyogini View Post
Who provides the good education? And what are we paying them to show our appreciation? I have a lovely master's degree in education that will get me more than $20,000 LESS (per year) in Hawaii than I make here in MA. I love my career choice and I do my best, but my excellent education will not allow me to live wherever I want.
Alternatively, you could have dropped out of high school and bounced around minimum wage jobs - a Teacher in Hawaii with a Masters Degree is much likely to have a better standard of living than someone who didn't bother with any education or learning any trade.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:20 PM

323 posts, read 428,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyyogini View Post
Whats your degree in? russian polka dancing? not much use for that in HI.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:32 AM
zoa

60 posts, read 491,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@zoa

I never statted that it was reserved for the rich. Im saying compared to most of the rest of the country you have to be more well off to own a home or property in Hawaii(excluding BI) like in navada for the price of a home in Oahu you can by 2 or 3 homes in Navada. Further Hawaii is one of the five lowest states for home ownership. Know why?
My post wasn't directed at you... but you make a valid point. My son (living in NC) is constantly reminding me just how inexpensive it is over there. With the value of this ohana property, we could buy 3 houses in NC and live rather comfortably...

But it is NOT Hawaii. is NOT my home. is NOT where I _ want_ to be.

I love this little spit of red dirt and I choose to live with less to keep it. And yeah, I will make sacrifices well beyond my own retirement to keep it for the ohana.

Is what its all about, eh?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:33 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,761,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoa View Post
My post wasn't directed at you... but you make a valid point. My son (living in NC) is constantly reminding me just how inexpensive it is over there. With the value of this ohana property, we could buy 3 houses in NC and live rather comfortably...

But it is NOT Hawaii. is NOT my home. is NOT where I _ want_ to be.

I love this little spit of red dirt and I choose to live with less to keep it. And yeah, I will make sacrifices well beyond my own retirement to keep it for the ohana.

Is what its all about, eh?
Yup exactly auntie. Mahalo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: