Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 01:03 PM

4 posts, read 5,098 times

Advertisements

My husband is a Construction Foreman. He is in the carpenters union. He welds, runs heavy equipment and a good mechanic as well. We are currently in the western part of Kentucky. We've been here for a couple years and worked in New Orleans for a few years before that. Our home is in southern West Virginia but there is no work there. We are from Appalachia and coal is shutting down quick so the already high poverty level is skyrocketing along with the use of meth and prescription drugs. It is not where I want to raise our 6 year old son. This job will be wrapping up soon and I want to relocate to Hawaii. I know it sounds cliche' but I want the simpler life for our family and we always love the beach plus if industrial construction is what he wants to do then I see there is plenty going on on the different islands. We can't move until a job and housing is already lined up.
Where is the best area for Industrial construction jobs?
How hard is it to change from one local union hall on the mainland to another local hall there? Most of the job ads seem to hire out of the local union for his position.
What is average rent for a 2br? Nothing fancy just livable and in a safe area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 02:35 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
About a year and a half ago we were told the Carpenter Union wasn't accepting any more members because so many of the current members were looking for work. I thought that was odd because more members = more money. Still, my guy found work but he's just like that.

You should call the union office and ask them.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:57 PM

Thank You. Do you know what area has the most construction going on right now?

Old 01-28-2015, 11:19 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Here are some construction job search engines. Careerbuilder.com. and Simplyhired.com to get you started.
Construction Jobs in HI on CareerBuilder.com

Find Construction Jobs in Honolulu, HI | Simply Hired

The Honolulu rail project is under way. Might want to check to see if any openings with them?
I have heard mixed reviews about not hiring local construction personnel. Seems most construction people working on the rail Project is coming from the Mainland??

Rail System Guide - Honolulu Rail Transit Project

http://www.careerjet.com/rail-jobs/hawaii-376.html

Best of luck. Hope this helps you get started.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:38 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Pearl Harbor shipyards might be a place to look.

Check Craig's List for house prices, but absolutely don't rent one until you've seen it in person.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:00 AM

We've been in contact with a few companies and they all say that he must already be in the local before they can consider him. That makes me nervous. As much as I want to move to Hawaii, the idea of moving that far without job placement already is very daunting. Our plan now is to save more than we first had hoped that way we have an emergency fund to come home on just in case and 3 months of rent, utilities and food while we look for employment.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:24 PM

That is probably a good Idea. You should always have at least 6 months funds saved, more the better.
Another option, not the best maybe, would be for your husband to come out early. Than he would be, Technically, here and can see about work.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:11 PM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I heard through the grapevine that Pearl Harbor was hiring 750 people.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-11-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I heard through the grapevine that Pearl Harbor was hiring 750 people.
Yes. They just had the Job Quest Job Fair over at the Blaisdell on 27 Jan 2015.
Here is the link to the story. Some good information in the link.

Job Link Now: Job Quest Job Fair takes over the Blaisdell tomorr - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Old 02-20-2015, 02:33 PM

Thank You. It looks as if they are looking to fill apprenticeship programs for new people to train and educate. The pay is around $20/hr plus the pay for your education tuition. This is a great program for young adults but not so much for us since my husband is already a skilled professional. I don't think we could live on that salary in Oahu anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: