Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: help!!! moving to oahu
move to oahu 0 0%
relocating to oahu 0 0%
ny to oahu 0 0%
aloha from ny 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:06 PM

6 posts, read 9,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Let's start with this. Your budget for something decent in Mililani is way to low.
Thanks. That's a better response. I'm not only considering that area. I just want something ddecent. It's hard figuring things out without physically being there. Just don't know where to start. Because how can I budget something if i don't have a job there, how can i plan a move if I can't find an Apartment. Etc etc etc.

So every bit of positive information i will highly appreciate and research. If any other info comes to mind i greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 11:25 PM

133 posts, read 182,677 times
is your husband on island? if yes, he should do all of that apartment hunting. better to do that here when he is in person and with a job. he should ask people he knows for recommendations, etc. again, much better done in person and here than on the internet. realistically if you have a limited budget, you will not get your choice of neighborhood. you will be restricted to what you can afford.

you should build your budget based on what he is making. because you really don't know how long it will take you to find a job. budget using actual dollars not what you hope to have. what is he making? what do you have saved? (you don't have to tell us but, that's what you should work off.) write your numbers down. what do you spend now on bills? what will the moving expenses be? you can contact moving companies, price out plane tickets, etc. to give you an idea. one of the ways not to get overwhelmed is to break things down into small tasks.

moving is stressful so it's good that you are planning.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:57 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,875,806 times
Can your husband stay in NYC and keep the job? Is that the only reason to move to Hawaii other than a 12 yo and a 15 yo thinking it would be cool? I would say stay in NYC unless there are strong reasons for coming here. I would even consider leaving the kids in NYC for at least a year. It is the exceptional child that can make the transition and even if they do well socially they will have to fight to stay even educationally.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,502 times
Hello chefMaria81, I too am looking to move to Hawaii from the East Coast with my husband and kids, who are 9 & 16. Moving there is just a pipe dream right now but you never know! I will follow this thread to check on your progress, hopefully we will be there by next year, best wishes to you.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:30 PM

8 posts, read 10,523 times
We are in a similar situation as well. We are visiting in a couple of weeks to see what areas we would like to raise our kids ( 6 &3) in. There is a lot of information on these boards if you can find the time to search. I want up to date info and specifics so I appreciate your post and will follow it as well. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2015, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 2,502 times
That's great, we can team up and share resources. I agree there is a lot of info on this site, I stumbled across a good one on public schools in Kauai. very informative and sheds light on the school systems not just on kauai but throughout the islands. The thread is called Mainland Children in Kauai posted by KrisKrisKris.

Last edited by PAJAMAJERK; 03-03-2015 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Add link to thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:41 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Unless you move to Waikiki, there really are no walking neighborhoods here like NYC and SF. The "center" would be Waikiki or Downtown, which is actually on the south portion of the island.

Maybe Kaimuki... sorta, a little.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-05-2015, 01:30 PM

8 posts, read 10,523 times
Thanks! I will check that one out too!

Old 03-05-2015, 01:44 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Unless you move to Waikiki, there really are no walking neighborhoods here like NYC and SF. The "center" would be Waikiki or Downtown, which is actually on the south portion of the island.

Maybe Kaimuki... sorta, a little.
McCully and Moilili are actually very walkable. Older houses and lots of walk up apartment buildings but very much walkable. The area actually has a higher walkscore than Waikiki. I also wouldn't consider any location that's not close to a grocery store as walkable.

OP, if being in a walkable area is important, check out walkscore. They have "heat maps" that are helpful in determining proximity to restaurants, grocery stores, etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: