Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 07:45 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times

Advertisements

In simple terms its not money thats evil its the love of money. Its behavior based. This is one reason i respect local hawaii culture so much. Tanks jung and pj you guys are an example of what local hapa haoles(im assuming from your past posts) are suppose to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 08:10 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
You missed the point. It's a matter of how one defines success, and is being truly happy intrinsically tied to material things. Mr. Conrad Jones vs Miss Momi Lomilomi.
Agreed. Plenny swimming pools are not that desirable to locals. We have the ocean for that.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Which also the article says alot of owners are going to be renting them out. Again for the record if thats the case then its not locals but investors.

So locals can't buy, invest, and rent out property? Interesting theory.

PJ737 says he's local and invests and rents out property. That seems to be in conflict?

Why can't born and raised "locals" by property and rent it out?

Old 03-25-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Yes, you agree with the developer's and realtor's propaganda. Hats off to you my friend.

Again, a "local" to a realtor/developer is simply someone with a local address. Did you not read my previous posts regarding this? You are welcome to call A&B right now to see or fill out one of their "interest" cards yourself. It's all there.
You might be on to something. Have you considered calling KHNL and seeing if they will do a story on the lies published in local papers? This might even qualify as a "Rossen" report on the Today show - the country needs to know about this

We need an investigative report - pronto!!

Old 03-26-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
So locals can't buy, invest, and rent out property? Interesting theory.

PJ737 says he's local and invests and rents out property. That seems to be in conflict?

Why can't born and raised "locals" by property and rent it out?
Nice try on twisting my words. If you want to roll that way to make your argument i can't stop you.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
You might be on to something. Have you considered calling KHNL and seeing if they will do a story on the lies published in local papers? This might even qualify as a "Rossen" report on the Today show - the country needs to know about this

It must be nice to be able to hide behind a computer screen and insult others? I bet your not that brave in real life eh? Unless theres a cop or national guard around.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Ha.

Is it really that uncommon that the advertising powers that be spin data (i.e. present in a way that adheres to their agenda). Just look at the whole rail fiasco. Was there any truth behind ANY of the data?

Here is some advice - don't take everything you read in the paper at face value. Sometimes there's more to the numbers than you think.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post

Further in another article about kakaako condos being built and bought already has the local population higher but admits that alot of the condos being bought by there definition of locals are going to be rented out by the owners another words an personal investment in a market that lacks housing.
I personally don't find anything wrong with locals buying up property to rent to others. In fact I find it unfortunate that more locals don't own investment property. I always encourage my friends to look into real estate as a way to diversify their investments. The real housing problem is all about not having enough housing. It has nothing to do with whether they own the roof over their head or someone else does - it's still a home someone can call their own.

Having said that, most condos here make lousy investments. Capitalization rates are in the 2-3% range, at best. So let the foreigners come in and foot the negative cash flow with outside money; local investors should steer clear.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:06 PM

@pj737

No i think you misunderstood me, first we agree that the term being used for local is often resident in the data, agreed? 2nd often new housing is the most expensive on the market, so if you have a resident(a non local) buying condos for investment purposes/rent then who does it benefit? If the issue is lack of housing and that condo is priced as not for local families to afford? It doesnt add to the solution right?

I agree i don't have a problem with locals investing in property either anything helps. I believe that people don't understand that the population makeup of Hawaii is more different then its ever been. Never in the history have we had less % of the population local. To me thats says that the wealth or rosey economic picture isn't local wealth but those moving to Hawaii and bringing there wealth with them. When 46% of the population is transplants it would be interesting to see the true economic picture of hawaii if you were to take the foreign money away. Truth hawaii is a poor state.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post

Having said that, most condos here make lousy investments.
On that we agree - which is why people thinking a bunch of "mainlanders" coming in as investors is a false premise. Unless of course one does the illegal VRBO option.

Unless one intends to make the initial condo investment their home at some point in the near future and feel strongly appreciation will continue it very rarely can be profitable. HOA fees are way out of line on Oahu and crush your investment - I suspect those Kakaako condo monthly fees to run at least $700 and up.

Even if you managed $3,000/monthly rent on a $700K condo you'll net $25,000/year after fees/taxes - that certainly won't cover a traditional mortgage - and even if you bought with cash, that is a lousy return of less than 4% a year.

A lot of areas one could buy 3 condos at that price and collectively get more rent and pay less in fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu