Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 02:24 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times

Advertisements

I have a friend staying on Oahu for 3.5 months starting early May. He asked what the lowest price option would be to have a car for the term. He is considering buying and then selling but I told him that's a bad idea (hassle of buying/selling in very short time frame, registering/insuring/licensing/title transfer, hoping the car doesn't break down, etc etc) so he decided to just go with the lowest cost rental option. The rates run about $4,200-$4,600 from various websites (e.g. Budget, Enterprise, etc) for the 104-day period with a compact/budget (cheapest available) model car including all taxes and fees. This does not include any additional insurance coverage which I said is unnecessary to get.

Any advice as to where the cheapest rental car option would be? Is it more beneficial to reserve last minute or sooner the better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 02:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Book sooner rather than later.

Kayak and priceline returns $2,711 with taxes/fees from May 4 to August 7 with pickup at HNL. Booking the car rental sites directly always returns a higher price.

AAA Hawaii returns $2,471 with taxes/fees for the same timeframe.

This site below claims $500/month

Car rental Honolulu airport or Rent a Car Waikiki Hawaii

Old 03-19-2015, 03:21 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Book sooner rather than later.

Kayak and priceline returns $2,711 with taxes/fees from May 4 to August 7 with pickup at HNL. Booking the car rental sites directly always returns a higher price.

AAA Hawaii returns $2,471 with taxes/fees for the same timeframe.

This site below claims $500/month

Car rental Honolulu airport or Rent a Car Waikiki Hawaii
Thanks.

For AAA (the cheapest legitimate option) I came up with the following from their site -

Summary of Charges
(Rental car prices are in USD)

$2,786.97 Monthly Rate (3 x 928.99):
$495.52 Extra Day Rate (16 x 30.97):
$3,282.49 Subtotal:
$520.40 Taxes and Fees:

AMOUNT DUE AT COUNTER
$3,802.89

I'm not sure how you are getting $2,471 from AAA. Are you plugging in 106 days? But $3,809 is still cheaper than the cheapest option he found so thank you.

The one that says $500/mo is actually $1,500/mo all-in. I've found that published rates by these fly-by-night companies are always off by a factor of 2-3X. Also, their phone lines are disconnected.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:39 PM

I'm not sure how you are getting such a high rate from the AAA Hawaii site. I plugged in an extra week to make sure I got 104 days. Make sure the sort order is low to high.

From May 4 to Aug 14 I get:

Old 03-19-2015, 04:11 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,045,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
I have a friend staying on Oahu for 3.5 months starting early May. He asked what the lowest price option would be to have a car for the term. He is considering buying and then selling but I told him that's a bad idea (hassle of buying/selling in very short time frame, registering/insuring/licensing/title transfer, hoping the car doesn't break down, etc etc) so he decided to just go with the lowest cost rental option. The rates run about $4,200-$4,600 from various websites (e.g. Budget, Enterprise, etc) for the 104-day period with a compact/budget (cheapest available) model car including all taxes and fees. This does not include any additional insurance coverage which I said is unnecessary to get.

Any advice as to where the cheapest rental car option would be? Is it more beneficial to reserve last minute or sooner the better?
Just curious, why would you tell him not to buy a car? If he gets a good deal on the car, he should be able to sell it for the same price he paid for it, and just be out a few hundred dollars for the insurance and operating costs. Hell, for the price of a rental car, he could probably buy a pretty decent car, and just dump it in a junk yard when he is done with it.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Just curious, why would you tell him not to buy a car?
Perhaps this is why:

Quote:
but I told him that's a bad idea (hassle of buying/selling in very short time frame, registering/insuring/licensing/title transfer, hoping the car doesn't break down, etc etc) so he decided to just go with the lowest cost rental option.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:55 PM

473 posts, read 797,938 times
Does your friend own a car on the mainland? Unless they just have tons of cash or someone else is picking up the tab, it seems like it would either be cheaper to ship their own car to/from Hawaii or buy something for $3-4k, drive it, and sell for what you can get at the end.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:14 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,260,173 times
Quote:

Is your friend working or pleasure while staying for 3.5 months?
I'm kinda old fashion. I would do what i did when i arrived in Hawaii, the first time. Ride the bus. Get a monthly pass for $60.00. Take you anywhere in the Island. Then you wouldn't be spending $4,200-$4,600 dollars? Just a thought.
TheBus - Fares & Passes

Old 03-19-2015, 11:32 PM

189 posts, read 261,412 times
Car flippers here in CA never register the car under their names, they sell them with the pink and the sale contract. Is this applicable in your situation? Not asking what the DMV suggests you do, asking if the car flipping process is the same there. Seems like he should just buy and not rent.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Is your friend working or pleasure while staying for 3.5 months?
I'm kinda old fashion. I would do what i did when i arrived in Hawaii, the first time. Ride the bus. Get a monthly pass for $60.00. Take you anywhere in the Island. Then you wouldn't be spending $4,200-$4,600 dollars?
In my experience, if you can afford $4,000 for 3 months - you generally aren't interested in a bus that takes a long time. Time is money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu