Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:58 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,290,936 times

Advertisements

My dad was a self-employed carpenter who ran his own remodeling business for decades. Have you contacted any contractors on Oahu and determine if they are hiring? You might be able to find a small business that is having difficultly finding skilled carpenters. You could start by searching for contractors and cold calling them. You might find work opportunities or discover that no one wants to talk to you unless you are already established on the island. You might be able to get some leads from the Carpenters Union. I think you need to be more serious about your transportation. A carpenter normally needs a truck, unless the company provides the truck for you. Your goal is to convince the contractors that you are a skilled, self-starter, experienced and reliable carpenter who wants to help their business make money.

There might be many situations where property owners need to have properties renovated, but cannot afford the labor costs. Maybe you could work out a deal to rent a room at a low or no cost in exchange for your labor.

Saving only $4K is not enough. You'll need to increase the savings to at least $10K or $20K. It might take months to get established.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 03:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,023,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aglaser0021 View Post
I have done excessive research on the subject at hand. Craigslist offers a number of 2br Quonset style homes as well as shabby, small 2br homes in that price range. Mainly in isolated areas up north and west. However, I found a few within reasonable distance of the business districts. I'm more so looking for information about these locations. Are these just lucky finds or possibly just too good to be true scenarios?
Correct, if you go to locations on the far west side or north shore, you might be able to find something decent. But, you'll be sitting in a lot of traffic - but maybe that is what you will have to do. Certainly not commutable with a scooter.

Realistically, anything close to town in that price range might be a "home" but no yard (just concrete) - or very shabby/rough around the edges.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:30 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,272,265 times
Quote:
To eliminate the naysayers, I will begin with my "credentials" or lack there of. I am 24 years old working with roughly $4000 and a friend with similar savings. Not practical? I know. Moving on. We plan to make the move to Oahu this upcoming September. I am a 5 year experienced carpenter making roughly 40k annually here on the mainland. Concerning employment, I am open to any and all ideas/tips. Whatever pays the bills. There, that was easy. On to the more difficult question, location.
Any thoughts, ideas or tips would be very much appriciated. Thanks!
Your carpenter skills will do well. There is a lot of upgrading of all the Military Housing areas.
A lot of Condos going in downtown.
The rail project is underway and they are still going to need construction workers of all kinds. The contract just got extended, as predicted, due to delays, delays! So this project will be going on for a while beyond 2018 deadline before it was extended.
Honolulu Rail Transit Project - Official Site
Rail System Guide - Honolulu Rail Transit Project

You will have to be living here on Oahu before the Carpenter Union will let you join. Just a heads up!

CARPENTERS UNION LOCAL 745, 1311 HOUGHTAILING ST, HONOLULU, Hawaii (HI) - Company Profile
Carpenters in Honolulu, Hawaii Salaries & Employment

There are a lot of almost new and used pickup trucks for sale. So you should be able to pick one up to haul your tools around.
Best of luck

Old 03-28-2015, 10:37 AM

8 posts, read 11,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@Aglaser0021

Aloha and welcome. Do you have any friends or Ohana in Hawaii?
Hello. I do have a friend on Oahu. He has been stationed at Pearl Harbor for a little over a year. Other than that, no but I would like to establish at least some contacts before moving there. Any suggestions?

Old 03-28-2015, 10:58 AM

1,587 posts, read 2,125,732 times
Quote:
Pj, that is good news! Thanks. Also, I am well aware that carpentry will be unfeasible until I can manage the appropriate means to do so (truck/van). I'm willing to work in any industry, lucrative enough to get by, in the meantime. What about getting in with a company/contractor as a skilled apprentice/helper? I'll be bringing basic hand tools and a few compact power tools.
I was assuming you were a journeyman carpenter based on your comments. Without formal training/education, you will have to start with a company as an apprentice and work your way up. If you genuinely are good AND fast at what you do, your employer will increase your pay dramatically... possibly by 50%+ in the first year if you can prove you are worth it. If working for a contractor, typical pay is $30-$35/hour for journeymen carpenters here... or roughly a $60-$70K salary. The best skilled/productive ones can easily pull in $80K+ but they are GOOD. Starting off you will get paid much less. You will have to prove yourself and only you know how you rank against other people in the trade.

Again, you will need a truck/van before you even bother looking for employment in that field. You will also have to have a good set of quality tools and a second pair of essentials to keep you working without delays - tools get stolen/damaged ALL the time. If you plan to store your tools in your vehicle, get a lock box and alarm and do your best to hide them from anyone outside the vehicle.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:59 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,791,913 times
Quote:
Hello. I do have a friend on Oahu. He has been stationed at Pearl Harbor for a little over a year. Other than that, no but I would like to establish at least some contacts before moving there. Any suggestions?
I asked because alot of jobs are gained by word of mouth. I thought if you had a friend working already he/she could put a good word in for you? Well someone suggested calling the unions, with the rail being built and the new redevelopment of kakaako there will be need for experienced carpenters or construction workers. Just pray your not afraid of hieghts

Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 AM

30 posts, read 55,534 times
Quote:
Hello all! As I do realize, questions of "the big move to Hawaii" have been covered more than a number of times, I would like to focus mainly on location. My efforts towards due-diligence have lead me to countless and contradictory articles, threads, ect. Leaving me indecisive and confused. That being said, I'll get to the point.

To eliminate the naysayers, I will begin with my "credentials" or lack there of. I am 24 years old working with roughly $4000 and a friend with similar savings. Not practical? I know. Moving on. We plan to make the move to Oahu this upcoming September. I am a 5 year experienced carpenter making roughly 40k annually here on the mainland. Concerning employment, I am open to any and all ideas/tips. Whatever pays the bills. There, that was easy. On to the more difficult question, location.

Clearly, our standards will be low considering our financial position. Yet, something tells me with the right guidance and information we may be able to meet certain needs/desires for an affordable price. Affordable relative to the high cost of living on Oahu, that is. We have eliminated the possibility of enjoying affordable island living on the west side due to transportation issues and a vast majority of employment opportunities east. I.e. I plan on using a moped/scooter and public transportation. The east side, from my understanding, is a bit too pricey. The north side, again, transportation issues. Central and maybe a short distance north seems most practical. We are looking to rent within the realm of $1500-$1800 a month. Give or take. Much preferably a 2br home with enough yard for a modest vegetable garden. Aesthetics, comfortabity, features, size, ect are of little importance. Safety is a concern, but, to little extent. We're simply trying to avoid areas of a high crime rate. Moderate is fine. Avoiding rainy climate zones is a plus but not necessary. On our budget, sacrafices will be necessary and we are most certainly aware of this. I am open to live just about anywhere on Oahu that meets the very simple needs expressed above. Any thoughts, ideas or tips would be very much appriciated. Thanks!

You could probably join the union as an apprentice -- there are a lot of large construction projects on Oahu right now. My family moved here last year and my husband is a journeyman carpenter. He joined the union here (he was in the union on the mainland too, not sure if that makes a difference) and he was working within a few months (yes, you probably won't start working immediately, getting hired here takes a little longer).

Finding a house for less than $1800/mo will be very difficult to find. Use craigslist for searching for rentals and also do a google search for property management companies. You will probably need to lower your expectations for your first rental, look for something that will provide shelter and not blow your budget for about six months and then when that lease is up and you have a permanent job, you can look for a house (your house search budget will need to be at least around $2200/mo). Good luck!

Old 03-30-2015, 07:18 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,411,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
You will have to be living here on Oahu before the Carpenter Union will let you join. Just a heads up!
We were living there (2013) and the Carpenter Union was not accepting new members. They had over 1200 union members out of work, looking for jobs. I'm sure all that has changed.

We lived in a previously military housing area. It was Carmel, the Waterfront at Pu'ua (or close in spelling to that). We were there a year. When we got there my master carpenter/contractor/owned his own business for 16 years/built many houses better half applied to work there for Carmel as a carpenter. We left a year later and after relocating stateside, he was offered a job there, with Carmel.

He worked for one place who rarely hired haoles, so he was lucky. But they didn't pay much more than $20/hr and that was more than their general labor workers. They re-habbed rentals. He taught them some cool tricks of the trade - like the correct way to hang a slider.

You might luck into something. There's a lot of construction going on. We had $20K savings and one of us had a guaranteed job before moving there. It was a great year! I wish you luck!

One more thing - I agree you might find an island car/truck for a reasonable price but it would be better to have that amount on top of your existing savings. Once there you may never be able to save anything. Carpenters are expected to have tools/truck. Maybe pack up a trunk to fly with you with tools?

Old 03-31-2015, 12:15 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,272,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
We were living there (2013) and the Carpenter Union was not accepting new members. They had over 1200 union members out of work, looking for jobs. I'm sure all that has changed.

We lived in a previously military housing area. It was Carmel, the Waterfront at Pu'ua (or close in spelling to that). We were there a year. When we got there my master carpenter/contractor/owned his own business for 16 years/built many houses better half applied to work there for Carmel as a carpenter. We left a year later and after relocating stateside, he was offered a job there, with Carmel.

He worked for one place who rarely hired haoles, so he was lucky. But they didn't pay much more than $20/hr and that was more than their general labor workers. They re-habbed rentals. He taught them some cool tricks of the trade - like the correct way to hang a slider.

You might luck into something. There's a lot of construction going on. We had $20K savings and one of us had a guaranteed job before moving there. It was a great year! I wish you luck!

One more thing - I agree you might find an island car/truck for a reasonable price but it would be better to have that amount on top of your existing savings. Once there you may never be able to save anything. Carpenters are expected to have tools/truck. Maybe pack up a trunk to fly with you with tools?
You make a good point hunterseat. I had forgotten and now remember reading about the Carpenter Union not hiring new members back in 2013. Hopefully there is some openings now? A lot of work is going into the Rail? Would think the Carpenters union would be involved in the construction phase when they start building the stations along the route??

Old 03-31-2015, 05:10 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,411,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Would think the Carpenters union would be involved in the construction phase when they start building the stations along the route??
Oh yes! Good possibility! It's been a couple of years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: