Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 12:53 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times

Advertisements

From what we see in the nightly news, there's a massive building craze going on Oahu at this time. A lot of it is around Kakaako, I think. Those folks probably aren't going to hire someone while they are still on the mainland, but if you show up at the jobsite dressed for work and ask to see the construction boss, they may have need of another worker. Construction work kind of runs on a boom and bust cycle, but it looks like it's on the upward swing at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 02:19 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
From what we see in the nightly news, there's a massive building craze going on Oahu at this time. A lot of it is around Kakaako, I think. Those folks probably aren't going to hire someone while they are still on the mainland, but if you show up at the jobsite dressed for work and ask to see the construction boss, they may have need of another worker. Construction work kind of runs on a boom and bust cycle, but it looks like it's on the upward swing at the moment.
Shootz me and hotzcatz could tell you stories of the first highrise boom in the 70s we where both there. Like ive said before the new hawaii state bird was the building craine. But what people don't realise or know about the building booms is the noise levels. Get used to hearing KA-BOOM! KA-BOOM! all day and night as they drive pillars in the ground for the skyscrapers. I really do feel sorry for the residents of kakaako and ala moana because there will be 30 highrises being built, the condos at ala mo and the

Old 04-01-2015, 02:21 PM

light rail, Thought it was noisy and traffic was bad now wait?

Old 04-03-2015, 12:22 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,108,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Shootz me and hotzcatz could tell you stories of the first highrise boom in the 70s we where both there. Like ive said before the new hawaii state bird was the building craine. But what people don't realise or know about the building booms is the noise levels. Get used to hearing KA-BOOM! KA-BOOM! all day and night as they drive pillars in the ground for the skyscrapers. I really do feel sorry for the residents of kakaako and ala moana because there will be 30 highrises being built, the condos at ala mo and the

Pile driving is pretty much non existent in urban Hawaii construction today. The noise is one thing... but ground vibration resulting from pile driving has caused major liabilities for builders, particularly those building close to adjacent buildings. Bored piles are the new standard. It's also much more difficult to get a noise permit to work at night today than it was in the 70's. Jobsites today are much, much quieter than in the past.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Pile driving is pretty much non existent in urban Hawaii construction today. The noise is one thing... but ground vibration resulting from pile driving has caused major liabilities for builders, particularly those building close to adjacent buildings. Bored piles are the new standard. It's also much more difficult to get a noise permit to work at night today than it was in the 70's. Jobsites today are much, much quieter than in the past.
Good to know, i remember how noisy it was back in the dayz. Thou i never heard it at night. I will be first to admit i don't know alot. Mahalo for the info.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:59 PM

246 posts, read 649,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
NO.

This ain't North Dakota. If you're trying to be humorous, your doing it at the expense of false information.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:15 PM

246 posts, read 649,967 times
Carpenter guy, if you wanna make a move, save a couple more grand then move while construction is still hot. Life is too short and can end at any time for you end up regretting things. The amount of research and planning you do is equivalent to your success of making it work. If you're lazy and expect it to "all work out" then whatever then, sometimes people get lucky?

Go to the carpenter's union the day you arrive fill out forms, pay your union fees, learn the rules, ASAP. This is important to get on the job list. The only way you work and get paid is if you get selected from the list based on how may people are ahead of you on the list.

If you try to go non-union, think of it this way, most dudes in Hawaii who don't go the university route expect to just get a job in construction. One thing is for sure, don't bet against human nature to be lazy. Do you think that there are a ton of people who rather slave in school for 4~5 years vs. just showing up at a jobsite hoping to shovel dirt? We have enough people here working for and competing for jobs on nonunion small time construction companies. What makes you think you are better than them? If there is a valid reason then go for it, otherwise you'd be swimming upstream. And if you get hurt on the job, you're screwed, no job, no insurance, no pay out. At least locals here can depend on family if this occur, you do not have that luxury.

Unions here rule, it is completely different than how business is done in the mainland regarding unions, do not take this for granted.

A house with yard to grow your own veggies, not gonna happen, not at least for the first few years. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: