Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:28 AM

25 posts, read 30,017 times

Advertisements

Good morning guys!

So I just recently started searching for my first home here in AZ. I came out to Oahu last summer for a Spartan Race and like many others kept thinking "I could so live here!"

Of course coming out for a few weeks to a month for a trial run would be optimal, but my current job would prevent that. I have seen some properties in Waikiki in the $100K range. The small space living doesn't bother me at all. I've had my smallest studio at 350 sqft and my largest at 585 sqft.

If I bought and left my job I could live moderately for at least 6 months. I have a car and a motorcycle here in the states, work in sales and management, and am currently working on my start up business.(I know this would be affected by moving but could still work)

Those who have been brave enough to take the risk and do what I am thinking of I'd like to know about your experiences. I'm 33 and am willing to take a risk for a different quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 11:32 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxspartan View Post
I have seen some properties in Waikiki in the $100K range.
You won't own the $100K property - that is for the privilege to lease the property - you'll pay a monthly lease fee and the property return to the leaseholder at the end of the lease unless the leaseholder wants to renegotiate.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:57 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Find a job or income source, rent on Oahu for six months to a year and then if it works out, look for a place to buy. If it were me, I'd keep the motorcycle and ditch the car for living on Oahu. Mostly due to traffic and parking costs for cars. If it's raining or such, there's always The Bus, Taxis or other public transportation.

If it's just you, you may be able to share a house or an apartment with someone. That saves on rent and gives you someone who can help get you used to island living.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:01 AM

ahhh... that's why it was at such a number. damn,lol

good call catz!

Old 04-16-2015, 11:04 AM

268 posts, read 383,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You won't own the $100K property - that is for the privilege to lease the property - you'll pay a monthly lease fee and the property return to the leaseholder at the end of the lease unless the leaseholder wants to renegotiate.
From my research over the last few months I believe that is called "Lease Hold", vs ""Fee Simple". LH is long term rent of the land, decades long. You may own the building but not the land and at the end of the lease you would have to renew or vacate. That is why it's less expensive. I also believe you can resell the LH with whatever time is left on the lease, however I'd think it would be more difficult to sell and wouldn't hold/appreciate value.

Fee Simple is you hold title on the land and structures on it.

When you look at listing they do list the property as either FS or LH.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:09 AM

I've seen both the FS and LH. But it was making sense in my mind that Waikiki would sell at $100K because I was only getting 300 sqft lol

Old 04-16-2015, 08:12 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,817,548 times
Quote:
I've seen both the FS and LH. But it was making sense in my mind that Waikiki would sell at $100K because I was only getting 300 sqft lol
If it's in Waikiki for $100k, it more than likely is a Lease Hold.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:14 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Quote:
If I bought and left my job I could live moderately for at least 6 months.
I'm curious what this means. If it's true then you probably have at lease $20K? And that would be tight.

Whatever you do PLEASE keep enough back (give to a trusted person - parent?) enough money for a return flight to the mainland.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:09 AM

Yes, I have more than that to survive on. Good call on the ticket as a "just in case".

Old 04-18-2015, 12:40 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,256,262 times
Quote:
Yes, I have more than that to survive on. Good call on the ticket as a "just in case".
The ticket is good insurance in-case? I always try to have six to eight months emergency funds saved.
Best of luck in your endeavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu